Air Brushes.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shade

Reaction score
How many of you use air brushes to paint your rockets and other models,
flying and non-flying? What paints/techniques do you recommend?

I dug my old ones out and added a few and will be starting to use them more
with my modeling.

Thanks,

I got into airbrushing over the winter. Can't say I'm any good at it, but I can get the paint on!

I like the Createx Wicked Colors line, and their Auto Air paints. I've got a Paasche H series single action external mix, and I run it with the H3 and H5 tips at ~32 and ~42 lbs pressure (CO2) respectively.

Marc

When you want a particular color or effect, the airbrush is hard to beat. I agree with Marc, the Paasche H is a modeling workhorse at a fair price. Bought my first one as a young teen to use on plastic models (lost to a thieving room mate in art school).

I haven't been experimenting with paint brands, Createx pretty much does it for me, though, I should give some others a chance—just haven't needed to.

I have five double action brushes, but none will shoot heavy liquid and they're all kinda old, like me. Bees wax seals and all.

I also agree with Marc in using a CO2 tank. Quiet efficiency being the big advantage. I spray at around fifty pounds and don't thin (as of yet).

I want to try some of the stretchable friskets as conventional frisket doesn't conform well to rocket tubes. I'll be ordering some next time I get something from TCP Global. That and some stretch tape, but I've been getting along fine with Tamiya's tape. It's just a bit on the expensive side.

Last edited:
I have a 5 Hp 175 psi compressor so air is not a problem, I am filtering it,
mechanical water trap, dessicant and a regulator. Same set-up I use for
the plasma cutter. I have ordered a fitting so I can connect my air brush
hose to the compressor.

Thanks for the info on the Paasche brush, I have a Badger 350 which seems
similar. Also thanks on the paint info.

All I have sprayed recently is a DuPont Vinyl paint on my PML AMRAAM 3
it sprayed very well (I used my 30 year can of Propel aka canned air.)
Hopefully, the fitting will arrive shortly.

https://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/htm...roduct/dr/ChromaSystem/H-19313_MasterTint.pdf

Last edited:
I use a cheap double action airbrush I got from Harbor Freight Tools that's not too bad and I use acrylic hobby paints from Testors, Tamiya etc.

I usually spray between 15-20 p.s.i.

I use this for both rocketry and scale modeling.

I got into airbrushing over the winter. Can't say I'm any good at it, but I can get the paint on!

I like the Createx Wicked Colors line, and their Auto Air paints. I've got a Paasche H series single action external mix, and I run it with the H3 and H5 tips at ~32 and ~42 lbs pressure (CO2) respectively.

Marc

Seconds on the air brush make and model, as well as the Createx paints. It is a great setup for beginners even if you paint as bad as I do.

thats pretty much what I use too - way back when had a binks wren then a paasche vl with co2 tank. when I got back into this I got another VL and a co2 tank - use mostly the createx standard line as that is the easiest to get but I think I can now get the wicked colors. got the cap adapters so I can just use the paint bottle instead of pouring & then cleaning the that bottle. Never had a problem with the VL & 20ish psi

I`m not an expert ,but you will get plenty of info ,some good and some bad ,but in the end ,you will have to figure things out for yourself.....I sure did !!

The biggest thing is to watch you PSI and your mixing ratios (paint/thinner)

I`m old school ,so any enamel paint thinned 50/50 with lacquer thinner works great.

Don`t be fooled by fools ,nothing you spray (atomize)will still get you ,enamel ,lacquer or acrylic (that makes me laugh ,when people say they are having a new child in the house ,so they make the switch from solvent to acrylic paint....idiots....like atomized alcohols make it better ???) what are you going to do ,people are dumb,and so is the advice.

Talk to somebody who knows how to work a brush and stay away from that cheap $20.00 crap.

I`m no expert ,but I`ve done a few hours on the brush.Get free advice ,and throw half of it away!

Paul T

php1kuFytAM.jpg

phpKFSC79AM.jpg

phpo2hELoAM.jpg

phpU6DiW2AM.jpg

phpwgxwIqAM.jpg

I`m not an expert ,but you will get plenty of info ,some good and some bad ,but in the end ,you will have to figure things out for yourself.....I sure did !!

I`m old school ,so any enamel paint thinned 50/50 with lacquer thinner works great.

Don`t be fooled by fools ,nothing you spray (atomize)will still get you ,enamel ,lacquer or acrylic (that makes me laugh ,when people say they are having a new child in the house ,so they make the switch from solvent to acrylic paint....idiots....like atomized alcohols make it better ???) what are you going to do ,people are dumb,and so is the advice.

Talk to somebody who knows how to work a brush and stay away from that cheap $20.00 crap.

I`m no expert ,but I`ve done a few hours on the brush.Get free advice ,and throw half of it away!

Paul T

Have you ever used a $ 20 (US dollar) airbrush, eh? You just might find it works as well as a $100 airbrush! But then again, you're no expert.

Some people like myself prefer to use acrylic for its low odor and ease of clean up.

Foul!

You can't post pictures like that without identifying the aircraft!

I'm going to try to ID them using just my brain:

1. F-101 Voodoo (Luftwaffe)
2. MiG-17 (Egypt)
3. Some kind of Sukoi (North Vietnam)
4. Ju-88 (Giant cannon sticking out the front is a clue)
5. MiG-23 or -27 (USSR)

Paul T

Paul, Thanks, Yes, internet forum advise always needs to be taken with
a grain of salt. Fortunately my shop is a detached building from my house
and is over 100 feet from the house. So second hand solvent exposure
is not an issue. I tried acrylics in the past, I am sure they have gotten
better but not in the mood for experimenting with them yet.

BTW, if someone wants to suggest some high quality acrylics, please do.

Don't know about the rest, but 1 is an F-86 with an extended nose. The F100 has a significantly longer fuselage resulting in different proportions and no "snout."

Foul!

You can't post pictures like that without identifying the aircraft!

I'm going to try to ID them using just my brain:

1. F-101 Voodoo (Luftwaffe)
2. MiG-17 (Egypt)
3. Some kind of Sukoi (North Vietnam)
4. Ju-88 (Giant cannon sticking out the front is a clue)
5. MiG-23 or -27 (USSR)

The first one is a G-91 and looks outstanding, you are the master.

Last edited:
Have you ever used a $ 20 (US dollar) airbrush, eh? You just might find it works as well as a $100 airbrush! But then again, you're no expert.

Some people like myself prefer to use acrylic for its low odor and ease of clean up.

Indeed ,depending on what you are using the AB for ,a cheaper model may be good for rockets.

I used acrylics ,not my cup of tea ,but folks do like them and that`s great.I use a paintbooth when I spray ,so smell is not an issue ,but then I have yet to AB a rocket.

Do you build model aircraft ? You seem to know your planes !

Take care

Paul t

Indeed ,depending on what you are using the AB for ,a cheaper model may be good for rockets.

I used acrylics ,not my cup of tea ,but folks do like them and that`s great.I use a paintbooth when I spray ,so smell is not an issue ,but then I have yet to AB a rocket.

Do you build model aircraft ? You seem to know your planes !

Take care

Paul t

I also build scale a/c. I like WWII for the most part but I also like modern jets. I like post-WWII jets but I tend to stay away from all that NMF.

Acrylics: give Wicked Colors a try. You can get a set of main colors from Hobby Lobby for a reasonable price with coupon! (presuming you have a hobby lobby nearby...)

No Hobby Lobby in Minnesota. We do have Michael's and they do carry Createx but they are expensive. I have heard others here and on YORF that have good success with them. I'll try them if I can find them on sale or with a coupon. Lately my LHS are carrying Vallejo Model Air paints that are ready to airbrush straight out of the bottle. One of the negatives about the plastic bottle design is that you can't put the paint back into it if you have leftovers.

No Hobby Lobby in Minnesota. We do have Michael's and they do carry Createx but they are expensive.

I just checked and there are HL stores in MN but just 2, Mankato and Rochester.

The HL nearest me carries Createx but not the Auto Air or Wicked Colors varieties. A nearby hobby shop does however so I may try them.

Mike

TCP global has awesome packs of paint you can get them all in one neat little package that usually comes with mixing cups and cleaner. Just make sure to order the createx thinner when you order your package deal. TCP's HoK package deal is freaking awesome too and comes prethinned just shake pour and spray. I spray at 20-25 psi depending on what im doing.

I have a cheaper airbrush 60 bucks maybe, my gf's brothers paint hotrods and have lots o money tied up in their brushes i let them use mine and they liked it enough to order some so take it for what its worth. an expensive brush with low or new skill is just an expensive brush.

I also build scale a/c. I like WWII for the most part but I also like modern jets. I like post-WWII jets but I tend to stay away from all that NMF.

NMF is where Alclad shines ,but it can be a PITA !

Love WWII planes ,made a bunch ,but I pretty much build anything that tickles my fancy ,and that covers a lot of subjects.

Take care

Paul t

NMF is where Alclad shines ,but it can be a PITA !

Love WWII planes ,made a bunch ,but I pretty much build anything that tickles my fancy ,and that covers a lot of subjects.

Take care

Paul t

I read an article in a recent issue of Finescale Modeler in which they give a step-by-step how-to of Alclad. All the prep work before applying Alclad is something I don't have the patience for. You have to make sure the plastic is blemish free :eyepop:

I read an article in a recent issue of Finescale Modeler in which they give a step-by-step how-to of Alclad. All the prep work before applying Alclad is something I don't have the patience for. You have to make sure the plastic is blemish free :eyepop:

I hear you there ! I`ve done a few ,and it is a lot of prep work alright.That`s where a good quality kit comes in handy !!!

Cheers

Paul T

Have a Harbor Freight inexpensive hooked to my big compressor and use the on board regulator to push the psi down. Quick connects and hose cost as much as the air brush.

Had tried a multitude of silvers out of the can including hobby style , but was disappointed on how they looked dry. Grabbed some lacquor based testors model master alunimum plate buffing and air brush for much better results.Only trick there is to buff it after 10 or 15 minutes and then get some clear on . It is fairly fragile and now I only shoot as the last color on and remember to leave masking on til after the buffing to not smear reisdual particles.

Last night did that and after buffing and pulling mask off - did a quick clean of the airbrush bowl and poured in some 4:1 ratio future / simple green . After putting on the two small decals was shooting future as a clear, no muss no fuss .

Kenny

Paul T

Looks like you've done this for a while.....so you'll understand when I say; "I'm sure that green is wrong"...:wink:

Have a Harbor Freight inexpensive hooked to my big compressor and use the on board regulator to push the psi down. Quick connects and hose cost as much as the air brush.

Kenny

Hi I saw a couple of posts and then saw the "HARBOR FRIGHT", thats right. no misspelling.

I started using an airbrush last year I think and have not looked back. HB stuff is low quality junk for the most part. I use createx paints and using theose spray cans and primers were all fine but it would take me a week to paint one rocket and then I would be freaking out wondering if the solvents would dissolve the last coat and crinkle-UGGGG.

Painting with acrylates are incredibly rewarding. I can put a coat on in record time and then put another coat on with impunity maybe 3-4 hours apart.

The i started using the FUTURE stuff as a gloss coat.....I am in heaven and fellow rocketeers are impressed but really no extra work and far less work than using shaker cans.....

I have a DA paasche brush , a 33 gallon craftsman shop compressor (overkill), I fill it once and it will last forever and I can paint all night with out waking anyone! I also have them quick connects and some fancy pants hoses.

I bought most of my AIR BRUSH supplies from this place and they were the cheapests, but at least you are buying CRAP from HF.

AIR BRUSH????? It is the only way to fly...
this is my set up with quick connect for the hoses.

Oh and BTW, you do not have to think or be an artist to use an air brush. NO WAY! The double action brush is so sweet and you have so much more control....

I thnk I ahve many posts some where about airbrushes and stuff.

cheers

:eyeroll:

Kenny

Hi I saw a couple of posts and then saw the "HARBOR FRIGHT", thats right. no misspelling.

I started using an airbrush last year I think and have not looked back. HB stuff is low quality junk for the most part. I use createx paints and using theose spray cans and primers were all fine but it would take me a week to paint one rocket and then I would be freaking out wondering if the solvents would dissolve the last coat and crinkle-UGGGG.

Painting with acrylates are incredibly rewarding. I can put a coat on in record time and then put another coat on with impunity maybe 3-4 hours apart.

The i started using the FUTURE stuff as a gloss coat.....I am in heaven and fellow rocketeers are impressed but really no extra work and far less work than using shaker cans.....

I have a DA paasche brush , a 33 gallon craftsman shop compressor (overkill), I fill it once and it will last forever and I can paint all night with out waking anyone! I also have them quick connects and some fancy pants hoses.

I bought most of my AIR BRUSH supplies from this place and they were the cheapests, but at least you are buying CRAP from HF.

[URL="Paasche Model VLST-3W Airbrush Set with Deluxe Wood Carrying Case"]AIR BRUSH????? It is the only way to fly...
[/URL]this is my set up with quick connect for the hoses.

Oh and BTW, you do not have to think or be an artist to use an air brush. NO WAY! The double action brush is so sweet and you have so much more control....

I thnk I ahve many posts some where about airbrushes and stuff.

cheers

:eyeroll:

Back