EAC Viper XL build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you hit the Thrustcurve site just click on "Guide". When you get to that page, it will show you "Example Rockets" and they are arrayed with the most recently edited birds at the top of the list.

You can only see your own rockets on the "My Stuff" page but you can always see the "Example Rockets" at the bottom of the "Guide" page. Most times we just don't scroll down far enough because we're running sims on our own stuff.

Looks like you and I are dominating the Thrustcurve site. :D

Yep, that whole scrolling down thing is a learning curve for me. LOL

1600 ft on a G53. That gets my vote!

I think I suggested it before, but you didn't work it into this paint job.

Spray your base coat, mask for your stripes. Spray a layer of clear paint FIRST. This will seal the masking lines so your clear paint will bleed. Then paint your stripe color over the clear.

Fixed.

You probably did suggest it, I just probably forgot about it. I'll definitely try that next time.

Time for decals. Since Kit asked earlier about applying vinyl decals, I took a LOT of photos.

177_decal.jpg

178_decal.jpg

179_decal.jpg

180_decal.jpg

181_decal.jpg

More decal photos. Lining up the long one was tedious. I wanted to make sure it was centered and straight.

182_decal.jpg

183_decal.jpg

184_decals.jpg

185_decal.jpg

186_decal.jpg

And the body tube decal. I placed it so that the break between the two tubes was between two of the letters. Worked out pretty good!

192_decal.jpg

193_decal.jpg

194_decal.jpg

195_decals.jpg

196_decal.jpg

Okay, I am just tickled pink (that was for you Kit!) about how this turned out! Some of the dimensions may not be exact, but it most definitely looks like an EAC Viper. The metallic electric pink Testors paint ended up matching the decals better than I had hoped. I love the design of this rocket, and the decals turned out perfectly. I wish I had gotten a decal that says "EAC Viper XL", but I can still do that. I did have some paint issues, but they were minor, and I was able to overcome them. This may end up being my favorite build of all! Hopefully I'll get to fly this beauty this Saturday at Snow Ranch.

197_viper.jpg

198_viper.jpg

199_viper.jpg

That's a really nice looking rocket and a great paint job. I've always like the look of the Viper rockets.
John

I've never seen this before. The aft rail button screw was apparently too long, and pushed into the motor tube. I've put rail buttons in 3" rockets with 29mm motor tubes before. Weird.

200_rail_button.jpg

201_rail_button.jpg

The screw is nowhere near long enough. I know what I did. I drilled into it too far. Duh. :bang:

206_rail_button.jpg

I got the "eac viper xl" decal in the mail today, and put it on. I should have made the "XL" uppercase, but oh well. It still looks good with a name.

207_decal.jpg

208_decal.jpg

209_decal.jpg

210_decal.jpg

211_decal.jpg

Got the Viper prepped and wrapped for the trip to Snow Ranch tomorrow. It should be an awesome day for flying! Can't wait to get this beauty in the air!

212_decal.jpg

213_stockinette.jpg

...Some of the dimensions may not be exact, but it most definitely looks like an EAC Viper. The metallic electric pink Testors paint ended up matching the decals better than I had hoped. I love the design of this rocket, and the decals turned out perfectly...
It looks great quake. Those decals really make it pop.

Does anyone make a clone kit for the Viper and/or an HPR upscale? Given the amount of interest in this kit, it seems like a no-brainer. For that matter, maybe Estes should make one!

Does anyone make a clone kit for the Viper and/or an HPR upscale? Given the amount of interest in this kit, it seems like a no-brainer. For that matter, maybe Estes should make one!

Nobody does that I know of. That's why I scratch built an upscale.

Back