Featherweight Tilt checker/timer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently they run only on Windows or with a Windows emulator. A guy has volunteered to do a port to Macs and says he's close, but I haven't been working closely with him. I don't know about the size. I think it's a few megs but it relies on the windows net framework which is a lot bigger.

I expect to pick up the prototype panel on Friday or Saturday. However, I have decided to prioritize development of one of the other products on the panel ahead of the tilt checker so that I have a shot at a test flight with it at Mile High Mayhem over Memorial day weekend. That one has me pretty excited, and it needs a big launch for testing more than the tilt checker does. I'm dying to tell you guys about it, but I already jumped the gun a bit on the tilt checker, and I have less confidence that I can get this other product to work acceptably. But if it turns out like I hope...I think it's going to be pretty popular. (It's the one under the bunny)

I know in the past you have talked about making a small GPS system....could it pllleeeasseee be that????

I assembled an updated prototype tilt checker today. The problem I had with talking to it over SPI is solved. Tomorrow I may try to make sense of the accel data and try talking to the gyro.

I have the accelerometer fully working, and communication with the gyro worked now too, after some hot air rework. And I just found the flash chips that were missing yesterday, so things are moving along nicely.

Oops! Adrian!

Thanks, Frank. I have been studying what Bill Premerlani has published, which is considerable, and very helpful. My plan is to use the 32-deep measurement buffer provided by the gyro chip I'm using, to help gather measurements at high sample rates. Then I'll have 20 or 25 sequential rotations to do at each time step. I'll use quaternions for those sequential rotations to reduce the number of computations and re-normalization I'll need for that part of it. I'm planning to use a couple of terms of the Taylor series expansion and we'll see how that turns out for accuracy for rocket flights. If the product isn't usable without adding a magnetometer, I'll add one, but otherwise I think it will still work o.k. for rocket staging just to rely on the spec scale factors and the measured zero offsets. Your RocketTiltMeter survived the Proton launch, so I'll still have that available for flight testing.

Good luck. I hope for a very large workshop for lots of new items.

I got some prototype circuit boards made, and then decided to switch jobs out of state. New product developments are on hold for at least a few months until I get moved into a new abode, hopefully one with a workshop.

That's the answer I expected. Take care of getting the family settled, first -- 'tis more important. We'll wait.

-Kevin

I got some prototype circuit boards made, and then decided to switch jobs out of state. New product developments are on hold for at least a few months until I get moved into a new abode, hopefully one with a workshop.
I was just curious if you'd gotten a chance to pick this project up again? Hopefully the move went well for you & your family.

Back