20th February 2012, 12:03 AM
Big Daddy Stock Build kinda
I was able to make some head way on my big Daddy today. I got the motor glued in the body and and my second coat of balsa filler on the fins. I'm doing a stock build per instructions with the exceptions of a Kevlar shock and a nylon chute.
After attaching the Kevlar around the motor I notched the forward ring for the shock cord and slipped it through the motor tube. One thing I noticed is that my fin tabs are NOT exactly flush between between the center rings. I measured exactly as the instruction stated, but the front ring has a 1/16" gap or less. No biggie the fins still fit fine. What I did was cut 1/4" wide card stock tabs and placed them against the front and aft centering to provide extra support. I noticed when I was dry fitting the mount the aft ring had a lot of flex when I was pushing it into the tube. By adding the tabs it made it stiffer and I was able to align it easier with the fin slots. Once the mount was in I ran a fillet of glue on the aft ring. When it dries I'll come back later with Titebond Mold and Trim.
I'm pretty happy with the way it's turning out. I think when I build it again I will replace the rings with basswood or 1/8 lite ply, use a thinker motor tube (either 24 or 29) I haven't decided and loose the engine hook and just go with friction fit. I'll also use an eye screw as a mount point for the shock cord.
I like the kit and for $20 you can't go wrong.
Just a quick question. How long do you usually wait to sand the balsa filler coat between each coat. The first sanding I did was about 2 hrs after I applied, but I'm thinking maybe I should a lot longer. I plan on following it with two coats of sanding sealer and then attaching the fins and laying down the primer.
Last edited by RocketManDan; 20th February 2012 at 03:06 PM.