Designing Carbon Fiber Motor Casing around CTI Pro 75-4G... Need Grain / Spacer Dim.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love it when necro threads come up. It's going to get so many people replying to totally out of date info by posters who haven't flown a rocket in ten years.

Dor the love love of God, someone lock this thread and delete all the new replies.

Bob, I respect what you're wanting to achieve here.

But necroposting and blasting the same messages / questions across every available platform without engaging the constructive criticism is unlikely to be useful in the end.

Just my $0.02
-dh.

I did a search on the forum for posts on carbon fiber motor casings. I asked the question of those who made them. Also, some members don't allow direct messages to their forum accounts so you can only ask a question through the forums.

Bob Clark

Dor the love love of God, someone lock this thread and delete all the new replies.

Rather draconian.....why kill the thread because it is old?

One more thing....
I've been WAY more successful with composite cases when I realized that making a case that you can load propellant in AFTER the case is finished is the wrong approach.
I put a stack of propellant with the closure and nozzle in place into the winder and go to town.
Result is a MUCH stronger case with less mass.

And yes, Bob Clark, please quit trolling every rocket site.

Ok. In your best case carbon fiber approach what was your best mass ratio with APCP propellant?

Bob Clark

Bob, I respect what you're wanting to achieve here.

But necroposting and blasting the same messages / questions across every available platform without engaging the constructive criticism is unlikely to be useful in the end.

Just my $0.02
-dh.

On the question of orbital amateur rockets I'll be happy to respond to critical comments on that issue on this thread:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...e-now-easy-page-2-solid-rockets-for-cube-sats

But the question of getting a lightweight motor by using carbon fiber casing goes beyond that issue. For instance it's useful for maximizing altitude for the high power experimental flights.

Bob Clark

Ok. In your best case carbon fiber approach what was your best mass ratio with APCP propellant?

Who said I used CF?

Who said I used CF?

Ok. Any method of lightweighting the casing would be useful for high power rocketry experimental flights and for combining such amateur motors for orbital rockets. In post #22, Dogbert said you could save half off the casing weight using carbon fiber. In #25, Bobkrech said you would be better using maraging steel. Titanium would also work to significantly cut casing weight. Both maraging steel and titanium are expensive however, and maraging steel is also export controlled because of its use in weapons development.

Bob Clark

Back