FlisKits planning for 10th anniversary :)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And there I was without a project. I might get hold of Kevin O'Classen and see if we can resurrect his 2 stage hybrid for this. It would be well worth the effort to see Bill quivering beneath his truck.

It's not me I'm worried about. I can move pretty fast for an old guy. It's the buildings that are 1500 feet away that would be in range of a second stage that fired too late.

It's not me I'm worried about. I can move pretty fast for an old guy.

... as long as there are no chain link fences around. :wink:

It's the buildings that are 1500 feet away that would be in range of a second stage that fired too late.

Not to mention our llama friends. Has anyone developed electronics to limit an ignition event to a certain range of "vertical-ness"? I would guess it would be difficult to ensure orientation in a moving frame of reference but it would be a nice safety device.

In a more direct response to the thread,
CAKE!!

Has anyone developed electronics to limit an ignition event to a certain range of "vertical-ness"? I would guess it would be difficult to ensure orientation in a moving frame of reference but it would be a nice safety device.

Yes.

nar-hpr-tech.jpg

There's been a lengthy discussion on the TRA mailing list about them and then there's this thread here.

You can cover a lot of the things that can go wrong with an altimeter like the Raven but if the rocket arcs over while it's accelerating only something like the Tiltometer will notice.

Something like either of those should be required but some people are against it because of the expense.

And, cake and ice cream.

We can do an 11-way drag race with our standard set up; our controller could handle 22 pads. I think 11 would be spectacular enough. :eyepop:
I vote for an 11 way Frick-N-Frack drag race. Seeing 22 stages all tumble recovering at the same time would be almost as awesome as CAKE!

I vote for an 11 way Frick-N-Frack drag race. Seeing 22 stages all tumble recovering at the same time would be almost as awesome as CAKE!

I forget how many we had at NARAM 51, but yeah, it's FUN.

Did someone say "Cake"???

Hmmmm???

Well! This is in preparation for our 10th Anniversary! A big date, to be sure, so of course there will be cake....

But, such a momentous occasion... So much planning... There's GOT to be more!

For those of you who have only HEARD about the fun that CMASS has with regard to the FlisKits tradition of bringing the finest cakes to their anniversary event, we have a surprise for you!

If you are attending any one of these events:
  • NERRF
  • Red Glare
  • NSL
  • NARAM
  • LDRS

you will be able to taste it for yourself!

That's right. After meeting with the cake makers at Frederick's Pastries we have decided that we will be bringing a cake to each of these events to let everyone partake in the celebration of our 10th anniversary! Details will be coming forth, on a per-event basis, throughout the flying season, ending with the actual 10th anniversary launch at CMASS in September!

If you were on the fence about attending one of these events, but have always wanted to find out what all the fuss is about with this darned cake, NOW'S your chance!

Keep watch over each events thread as we will post details for each event as we nail them down. Once the cake is confirmed and designed (different, custom cake for each event), we will post the proposed schedule for the cake to be served. Also keep watch for other specials and events as we travel the country celebrating 10 years of fun and excitement at FlisKits!

Won't you help us celebrate?
jim

Dammit, Jim, you're not supposed to have that much fun at work!! :dark:

For those of you around the country who will now get a chance, don't miss out. CAKE isn't the sole reason to go to one of these events but you probably have another reason lined up already.

Enjoy your parties, Jim. We'll be waiting for you in Amesbury and happy to have you (even without the CAKE) at as many launches as you can make this year.

If you want to try out any alternate tastings, I'm sure CMASS would be happy to help out before the big events.

Can you believe it? We are approaching our TENTH anniversary in September!

I can remember the conversation I had with Kathy when I proposed the idea of doing this. That was followed by a similar conversation with Brian. That was followed by nine years of, well, I don't know WHAT I would call it! :)

Whew! Well, with such an important milestone approaching I figured we had better start planning early! We have several ideas that we are hammering out and would love feedback and more ideas :)

First, our CMASS celibration will be held on September 22nd. I will also make an extra effort to attend other launches in the North East area during the month. The big events at our CMASS launch will include the regular freebies, contests and displays, not to mention CAKE :) But the highlight will be the launching of EVERY model rocket kit we have ever had in production! This will include all OOP kits. For this I will need the help of club members and others planning on attending. At this time, the total count comes to 81 kits, not including new releases for this year. I will begin a sign up sheet shortly with instructions on how to participate.

Next up will be a program inviting NAR and Tripoli sections around the country to also participate in the fun at their scheduled launches! Keep watch for details.

I will post more as I nail down details. Feedback, comments and suggestions are most welcome! Let's make this an anniversary party to remember! :)

Jim
Hows that sign up sheet coming?
How are going to work it, will you have multiple sign ups for a rocket incase of a no-show?
Will it be posted on TRF,your site,ect?
Thanks

Hows that sign up sheet coming?
How are going to work it, will you have multiple sign ups for a rocket incase of a no-show?
Will it be posted on TRF,your site,ect?
Thanks

I hope to have something formal in this respect some time this month, so keep watch :)

I've just started on my U.S.S. Grissom:

Checking all the parts.
USSGrissom_1.jpg

A little putty to fill the BT spiral.
USSGrissom_2.jpg

Nose cone shoulders cut to .3" as per instructions.
USSGrissom_5.jpg

Very kewl :) You should start a separate build thread in the LPR forum.

I might.....but I have a bad habit of more building and less documentation. I'm not too far ahead, so I might do it.

Jim, I hope you take a group picture at each of the launches to post here and on your site! Especially of folks eating...

CAKE

Jim, I hope you take a group picture at each of the launches to post here and on your site! Especially of folks eating...

CAKE

oh! Great idea! Will have to begin that at Red Glare next month :) Will put up an Anniversary Group Photo page as we go along :)

My juvenile mind thinks: but can you come up with a creative way to launch your cake? (Yes as in send some for a ride.) Maybe a cupcake loft?

The other one seems obvious to me - a tenth anniversary rocket available for a limited time. (And I am not big into limited edition items, but this seems like a time for it.) Maybe an upscale of one of your most popular kits.

My juvenile mind thinks: but can you come up with a creative way to launch your cake? (Yes as in send some for a ride.) Maybe a cupcake loft?

The other one seems obvious to me - a tenth anniversary rocket available for a limited time. (And I am not big into limited edition items, but this seems like a time for it.) Maybe an upscale of one of your most popular kits.

Also an idea good enough to look into! :) (well, the SECOND idea... LOL)

Also I am beginning to collect names for those folks who want to help us launch every one of out kits. I will start a separate thread later this weekend, so keep watch!

Ok, doing more "gearing up" for the year long anniversary fun.

Our first outing will be Red Glare next week. New kit announcement there and at NARCON (keep watch :) ) and we are officially collecting names from folks who want to help us in the launching of every FlisKits kit ever produced! I will start a separate thread for that (in just a moment...)

More to come!
jim

Back