"Iron Sky" Nazis from the moon.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi JR-

I learned a trick for getting good screen captures. If you have access to a Windows platform computer, download Media Player Classic Home Cinema from SourceForge:
https://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

It's one of the better players out there and it includes a "Save Image" feature which will output a full resolution picture of the current video frame. It plays DVDs (presuming your computer has the player), BluRays (limited support), as well as all manner of other formats like AVI or MKV. It's the best way I've found to get a still image from a DVD/Bluray.

Your space ship pics brought back lots of fond memories from the movie. But, a few more of Reata would have been appreciated!

Marc

Hi JR-

I learned a trick for getting good screen captures. If you have access to a Windows platform computer, download Media Player Classic Home Cinema from SourceForge:
https://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

It's one of the better players out there and it includes a "Save Image" feature which will output a full resolution picture of the current video frame. It plays DVDs (presuming your computer has the player), BluRays (limited support), as well as all manner of other formats like AVI or MKV. It's the best way I've found to get a still image from a DVD/Bluray.

Your space ship pics brought back lots of fond memories from the movie. But, a few more of Reata would have been appreciated!

Marc

Hey Marc...

I'm sure you're right, but I'm computer illiterate, or at least thoroughly hobbled... I bought the blu-ray before Christmas and since there was interest in the ships, I just grabbed my camera and took a few stills of the screen after pausing on the ships, if anybody was interested in building a flying version (suitably modified for stable flight, of course). If anybody wants any REALLY hi-def stuff or more thorough research, they can buy the blu-ray or DVD and support the cause so that we get more cool movies like this... which is MUCH better than the typical crap Hollywood has been cranking out lately...

Later! OL JR :)

After seeing this thread, I found the movie on Netflix! Luke, I think you screen 'snaps' are AOK :) I really loved the movie. It will be added to my list of personal 'cult classics'. The business about the cell phone being 1000 times more powerful than their computers and the subsequent (re)invention of USB was just too funny. :D

After seeing this thread, I found the movie on Netflix! Luke, I think you screen 'snaps' are AOK :) I really loved the movie. It will be added to my list of personal 'cult classics'. The business about the cell phone being 1000 times more powerful than their computers and the subsequent (re)invention of USB was just too funny. :D

hehehe... yep...

"Dat is not a compuhdah... DIS is a compuhdah!" (gesturing to UNIVAC clone behind him).

OK! Falls somewhere between Hot Shots and Spaced Invaders---I liked it--Fun---Great scenery!! Subtitles were a good touch--kept you involved---I'm goin---------thumbs up!

OK! Falls somewhere between Hot Shots and Spaced Invaders---I liked it--Fun---Great scenery!! Subtitles were a good touch--kept you involved---I'm goin---------thumbs up!

Glad you liked it... me too...

Considering the scenery (chicas) there's more than my thumb up... LOL:) (to borrow an old 007 joke).

I'm grinding my way through it on NetFlix. I must be the only one to not "get" it.

But with new episodes of "Swamp Loggers" to watch it will be a bit longer :)

I'm grinding my way through it on NetFlix. I must be the only one to not "get" it.

But with new episodes of "Swamp Loggers" to watch it will be a bit longer :)

Swamp Loggers is back?? I love that show... so does Keira. "Ax men" has become SO much drivel... I used to like it better a couple seasons back... now they've turned it into some kind of "competition" show and just ruined it. The only reason I still watch it is because of Shelby Stanga, the "swamp man"... he reminds me of about 3/4 of my mom's side of the family... LOL:)

Seriously I wish that the producers of these shows would quit all the "who's king of the mountain, the Alaska guys or the Oregon guys?? Who's gonna win the river "log off"..." what a crock. People who watch these shows DON'T watch it for the stupid competition aspects (some probably like to keep track of who's producing more, like the "crab count" on "Deadliest Catch" but they do it right-- very understated-- "here's your Coors Light crab count" and there's NO mention of "king of the crabbers" or whatever amongst the captains... GEESH I wish they'd do the same thing on these other shows... "Gold Rush" is just as bad...

Anyway...>>>>>>SPOILER ALERT<<<<<<<

Dragging things back on topic... what don't you "get"?? It's SPACE NAZIS-- ON THE MOON!!!! The premise is based on a conspiracy theory that the Nazis, who were doing MASSIVE cutting edge research programs into advanced technologies (particularly aeronautical and weapons) and were notoriously interested in "supernatural phenomena" and spent a lot of money on research along those lines, especially relating to what we'd call today "alternative science" into things like UFO's and time travel and such things... the "Nazi bell" experiments, for instance, where a bell-shaped device was suspended in an enormous electromagnetic field, for purposes and outcomes unknown... (sorta like our "Philadelphia experiment", which is another conspiracy theory all its own, along similar veins). The conspiracy theory goes that the Nazis developed super-secret "UFO technologies" at the end of the war, and they had a base at the South Pole... That's where the movie takes up (and IMHO I wish they'd have put in a scene or two explaining all this and showing them leaving the Earth from Antarctica and landing on the moon in 1945 in the movie itself (it's in one of the trailers for the movie I posted). Anyway, they've spent 70 years on the moon, building up an enormous moon base and UFO battle fleet, perfecting their technologies to return and "liberate" the Earth... The "new" US moon landings at the Lunar pole near their Helium-3 mining base upsets their plans, and they move up their plans... the fact that the captured US astronaut has a cell phone, with VASTLY superior computer technology ("this is not a compuhdah... (gesturing to UNIVAC clone behind him) THAT is a compuhdah!") (which makes sense when you think about it... very few societies that do not share information freely between them have identical technological levels-- look at our advantages in solid rocket propulsion technology over the Soviets, who lagged behind for decades in solid propulsion (finally perfecting it for the obvious advantages it has for SLBMs and ICBMs) and continuously updated and perfected their designs for liquid propulsion rocket engines (and now have kerosene propellant rocket engines that are the envy of the world, including the US, which is why we use them on our own Atlas V rockets, among others, and we're trying to learn how to copy the technology in metallurgy that makes them possible, since we don't have that capability yet). Similarly the US had FAR superior computer technology than the Soviets... The discrepancies between technogies would be even greater between two societies COMPLETELY isolated from one another, IE on the moon vs. on the earth). The Moon Nazis are quick to realize they can leverage these microcomputers in cell phones and tablets for their own use, to control their massive wunderwaffen battleship they've been building, but which is uncontrollable with their limited computer capabilities. SO, they send a team to Earth to get more of these "computers", and to infiltrate and prepare for the invasion.
The team kidnaps Vivian to use her to contact the President, but she sees she can use them (just as they intend to use her) to further her own aims, and impress the President and pull another "miracle" out of the hat for the Presidents re-election campaign... as Renate starts spouting Nazi idealism, Vivian realizes that, somewhat repackaged, it can be used by the President as reelection rhetoric, which Vivian and the President uses to her advantage in her campaign. The Nazis play along as they prepare for their invasion. The Mondfuhrer, suspecting a double cross by his underlings on Earth, moves up the plan and begins the invasion early. As the UFOs attack, the UN is in turmoil, trying to figure out who is attacking and what they can do about it. The US President, in typical fashion, uses the crisis to her own advantage politically, and then announces in the UN "what we have up our own sleeve"-- the Mars Exploration ship, the USS George W. Bush, which just happens to be loaded with nuclear weapons and a particle beam weapon... The President and the SecDef (who seems more at home in the UN) sends Presidential Aide Vivian to oversee the attack on the Moon Nazis aboard the USS George W. Bush, since she's been scorned and swears vengeance against the "new fuhrer"... The USS George W. Bush attacks and destroys a large number of Nazi Zeppelin UFO carriers, but comes under heavy fire and is pursued by a large number of Nazi UFO's, about to destroy it... suddenly the spaceships of many other countries in the world sweep in to the rescue, all brandishing their own varying levels and types of weaponry... The President is incensed because "you all have broken your WORD!" (the outer space treaty, prohibiting the "weaponization" of space, specifically nuclear weapons). When the other UN delegates point out that the US has broken ITS word as well, by weaponizing the USS George W. Bush, she cavalierly states, "We're the United States-- that's what we DO!" (which is again the typical response and viewpoint the rest of the world has to varying degrees about the US). Even the Russians send in their "MIR space battleship" to the rescue of the USS George W. Bush, joining the attack on the Nazi Zeppelin UFO carriers. Again the US President is enraged, "That thing was supposed to be DESTROYED!" (referring to the 2000 reentry and destruction of Mir, which the US and NASA pressed very strongly for, over considerable Russian and commercial objections, (MirCorp) who were trying to save the station as a symbol of Russian prestige and a foothold for commercial operators in space, both of which posed problems for NASA, who was desperately trying to eliminate any competition for the ISS; the Russians had suggested making Mir the "core" of the ISS and adding on to it, (or adding Mir to ISS, depending on your point of view) and NASA wanted NO part of that... nor did NASA want the competition from a commercial operation in space, instead wanting to force whatever 'space research' by industrial or pharmacological companies on Earth to buy research space on ISS, NOT from MirCorp... remember how NASA (particularly Dan Goldin) fought tooth and nail to prevent the Russians from sending Dennis Tito to ISS as a "space tourist"... NASA worked very hard for a very long time to strangle commercial space activities in the cradle... ) The attacking space Nazis defeated, the Earth Grand Combined Fleet sets off for the moon to finish the Moon Nazis off once and for all... Vengengeful Vivian orders an attack on the Nazi moon base, over the objections of her own military officer crew, who remind her there are women and children down there... she coldly states, "The US doesn't negotiate with terrorists" and orders the base destroyed. The Moon Nazis, meanwhile, have completed their superweapon and fire it up to attack the Earth Fleet, and a raging battle ensues... while the power-mad new fuhrer decides to attack Earth, which is still below the lunar horizon, he blows a hole in the edge of the moon to get a clear shot, but thanks to Renate and Walker, who slipped aboard using a Nazi UFO for transport, manage to disable the superweapon and destroy it, and manage to escape. The Earth Fleet, however, discovers the massive Helium-3 reserves and operation that the Nazis had perfected, and after the SecDef explains quickly how valuable of a resource it is (it would supply all the US energy needs for the next thousand years) the President rapidly lays claim to it, and then to the entire moon, and orders the USS George W. Bush to defend the Helium-3 installation at all costs... soon a full-scale war ensues among the Earth Fleet as the ships destroy one another, the USS George W. Bush is attacked by the flotilla and returns fire with missiles, and destroys the Mir battleship as the Bush is destroyed itself, and pandemonium breaks out in the UN on Earth... as Renate and Walker reunite with the survivors in the bombed Nazi moonbase to face a bleak future of rebuilding, the Earth breaks out into full-scale nuclear war as the lights of the cities wink out one by one...

It's all very "Kubric-esque", basically a retelling of the "Dr. Strangelove" story, only throwing in moon nazis and bringing it from the Cold War to the near future... there are homages in it to "Downfall" (the scene where Vivian, with a trembling hand, removes her glasses, orders her subordinates out save department heads, and then screams obscenities at them for their 'failure' to come up with the 'miracle' she needs to get the President reelected... (look up any of the "Hitler finds out" videos on Youtube). The scene where the bleached out Walker, in nazi regalia, is presented in a wheelchair for the Mondfuhrer's inspection, and fights with his own arm to prevent himself from giving the nazi salute when the Doktor calls out "HEIL!" to him, (to prove his brainwashing and drugs worked) is an homage to Dr. Strangelove's fighting with his own arm in the bunker, when he's trying to prevent himself from giving the Nazi salute to the President... The ties are obvious...

The story is basically telling us that we're not as different from our 'enemies' as we would like to think... or as we pretend to be... In the UN assembly, after the President confronts and accuses the other nations of breaking their word and arming their ships, she angrily demands "who here DIDN'T arm their space ship??" The Finland representative, somewhat sheepishly, raises his hand, alone... (being a Finnish film, primarily, this was to be expected... LOL:)) The rest of the delegates laugh derisively at him...

Anyway, it's an funny film with an interesting story, if you take the time to 'read between the lines' a little and see what they were really trying to say...

As with any media, books, movies, music, etc, different people get different things out of it. It's all a matter of your own filters.

It's not wrong or right, it just is.

FC

PS But..."Space Nazis!"

Ok, I made it through it...don't ask me what I think was wrong with it, too politically incorrect. :p

All I can say is I'm holding out hope for "Nazi's at the Center of the Earth".

I watched it.All I can say is..tolerable.Every time my wife walked by I'd say yea I know but it's sci-fi

Latest posts

Back