"Iron Sky" Nazis from the moon.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am proud I caused so many people to waste 2 hours they will never get back.
I liked it, campy real Sci fi

Mark

I started watching this on Netflix. I'm glad Netflix "remembers" where you are at in the movie. This is one of those movies I have to watch in segments, can't stand it enough to watch it all the way through in one sitting. I just watched the remake of Conan...took me 5 sessions over 4 days :p

That's how I'm watching Dr. Who, in segments 25 minutes long like in the early 80's on PBS.

I loved the original Conan, especially the Basil Poledouris score. I was jazzed for the new version but could hardly sit through it in the theater. The music wasn't any good either.

Another remake that didn't measure up??? Sounds like it! Later! OL JR :)

I love the original Conan and refused to see the remake. Nothing can displace Arnie's first words in the original:

(Asked what is the best thing in life:)

"Da best thing in da vorld is to crush your enemy, see him driven before you, and to hear de lamentations of his vemen"

Bought it for under $5 from Family Video. I had viewed the trailers on You Tube and was expecting a bit more action and a bit less debauchery and coarse language. Enjoyed the Dr. Richter character though. Zhat iz not a komputer! Also thought the nation anthem of the Moon Nazis was clever. Meteorblitzkrieg!

The film could give Santa Claus Conquers The Martians trouble in it's distinctive category IMHO.

Last edited:
Bought it for under $5 from Family Video. I had viewed the trailers on You Tube and was expecting a bit more action and a bit less debauchery and coarse language. Enjoyed the Dr. Richter character though. Zhat iz not a komputer! Also thought the nation anthem of the Moon Nazis was clever. Meteorblitzkrieg!

The film could give Santa Claus Conquers The Martians trouble in it's distinctive category IMHO.

Just finished watching Iron Sky again... amazing how much stuff you pick up the second time around... for instance, the scene you mentioned with the Vivian character at the table, looking over the proposals by her staff... she doesn't like what she sees, and her staff gives her more bad news, at which point she pulls her glasses off with a trembling hand, orders their subordinates out of the room except the department heads, and then launches into her tirade... watch this parody from the movie "Downfall" and compare it to the scene from Iron Sky... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrHmcpRAZNs

The basic message here is "there's not as much difference between us and the "bad guys" as we'd sometimes like to think... this message is repeated several times in the movie... (more on that later)...

There was also a scene in the movie where Washington is wheeled out in a wheelchair after being drugged and "turned into a Nazi"... his captors are confident they've turned him into a Nazi, and the doctor yells "HEIL!" to him, at which point Washington has to physically resist giving the Nazi salute, by physically holding his own arm down... they're parodying "Dr. Strangelove" in this scene, where Peter Sellers character Dr. Strangelove holds his own arm down to prevent giving the Nazi salute to the US President in the bunker, and ends up basically having a fistfight with his own right arm in his wheelchair...

***** SPOILER ALERT******** DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE MOVIE FIRST********
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

The ending is VERY Kubric as well, as it basically does the same thing that Kubric did in Dr. Strangelove... at the very end, the bombs are flying and the missiles impacting on Earth, right after the space armada has destroyed each other fighting over the Helium-3. In true Kubric fashion, reflecting the insanity of mutually assured destruction, the nuclear arms race, the Cold War in general, and the rampant paranoia of "missile gaps" leading inexorably to "cave gaps" at the end of Dr. Strangelove, in the same fashion the nations of Earth finally destory each other in a final miasma of massive destruction, fighting over the Helium-3... as the bombs go off in Dr. Strangelove and the melancholy tune of "We'll Meet Again Some Sunny Day" plays a dirge for the human race, similarly the missiles are impacting in visuals closer to the end of "Terminator 3" than Dr. Strangelove, but the idea is the same, and the haunting melody of "I Know We'll Meet Again, Under the Iron Sky" plays out a melancholy song for the survivors on the Moon...

The scene in which Vivian declares the Nazi Moon Base a "free fire zone" and orders it nuked, over the protestations of the military officers manning the USS George W. Bush, who remind her that there are women and children down there, and she declares "The US government does not negotiate with terrorists" and orders it nuked... which basically puts her in the same moral position as the Nazis themselves, and she makes the SAME decision, which means she's no better than they are...

Also an interesting scene where the President declares to the UN that the US has "no military interest in the Moon" and is questioned by the Arab delegates about the US's ECONOMIC interests in the moon, since "the US has confused the two occassionally". Touche'! Point and match! It's also interesting when the President becomes furious when the US George W. Bush is about to be destroyed and the other nation's spaceships come charging to its defense, with their own weapons blazing... "Yall broke your WORD to me!" "The US broke it's word in arming it's spaceship-- why not us?" "Because we're the United States-- that's what we DO!" Whereupon seeing the Russian MIR station/ship coming in blazing away with it's own particle weapon or whatever, she becomes even more irate declaring "that thing was supposed to be destroyed!" (meaning Mir, which was intentionally deorbited in 2000 at US insistence and basically over Russian protestations to make way for the ISS). Then when the Nazi threat is put down, and the USS George W. Bush reports back that they've located the massive reserves of Helium-3 on the lunar surface in close proximity to the defeated Nazi lunar base, the President (after being informed by her SecDef what it actually IS and the importance of it) declares the moon soveriegn US territory and lays claim to the Helium-3, which devolves the arguments in the UN into what becomes WWIII. Yep... very Kubric Dr. Strangelove like...
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
It's amazing how much you can catch on to when you watch something a few times... I got a ton of good screenshots of the ships and stuff from Iron Sky that I need to upload from the camera and post on here tomorrow... The USS. George W. Bush is an interesting looking ship, and could be made to fly with the proper modifications-- it already basically has a ring fin... (the counterrotating "artificial gravity rings) and the aft missile launchers look like fins, basically... the rest is largely the semitrapezoidal forward section with the nuclear bombs and flank missile launchers (man for a Mars Exploration ship that sucker sure is heavily armed, ain't she?? :)) The rear "engine pod" is also similarly semitrapezoidal in shape, but much more like a trapezoidal tube than the flatter, broader front section.... The Russian "MIR" battleship would be more difficult to make into a flying model, because of it's weird shape, but it could be done, after a fashion, if the solar arrays were moved to the rear end and used as fins... much like the Union-Jack painted "British space ship", which is also a very good candidate for making a flying model... the aft position of a bank of numerous solar panels (at least six if I counted correctly) and the rather long, sleek shape would be particularly amenable to conversion for flight. The Japanese ship, on the other hand, would be far more difficult, as it is very angular and short and stocky, with lots of "greebles" sticking out but not much in the way of solar panels or anything that could serve as fins... course, if you can make a DEATH STAR fly, well, you can make ANYTHING fly! LOL:) There's some other ships on there as well that don't get close-ups but are clearly visible in the shots in a support role... then there's the Nazi "zeppelin" UFO carrier flagships, which could be converted from V-2 kits with a little work. The Gotterdammerung battleship at the end looks rather like some stuff I've seen Art Applewhite send up, so with some creativity, even this thing could actually fly...

I've been tinkering with the idea of making a flying version of the "RSS Venturestar" from "AVATAR"... it's a cool looking design, but would need some definite tweaking to the design to make a stable flying rocket... that and I need to upload some pics of the rockets in "Space Chimps" as these would also make some cool flying models...

Later! OL JR :)

Saw it tonight....funny and good entertainment. Very Flash Gorden type/inspired space travel.

I caught what I think many missed. When they first land in the farmer field [in upstate New York] did ya notice what the crop was that Washington was eyeing? Good old hippy dippy pot. Why the old lady shot gunned them out of her "field of dreams" LOL

Saw it tonight....funny and good entertainment. Very Flash Gorden type/inspired space travel.

I caught what I think many missed. When they first land in the farmer field [in upstate New York] did ya notice what the crop was that Washington was eyeing? Good old hippy dippy pot. Why the old lady shot gunned them out of her "field of dreams" LOL

Yep... noticed that when I watched it again last night... pretty funny...

OK, OK I know it's only a movie but....
Will gun fire on the moon?
Is there enough air in the shell for the powder to burn?
I know the Apollo astronauts had guns with them.

Do you mean in the survival kit for an off course landing in hostile terrain? (For fending off lions and tigers and bears and stuff.)

I remember reading that Goddard used to demo firing a pistol in a vacuum chamber but maybe the round didn't have a chance to outgas. Or maybe the primer pressurized the case enough to let the powder fire. The RouseTech CD3 manual talks about powder burning dynamics st altitude.

As promised, here's some of the screenshots of the various spaceships from "Iron Sky"... some would make interesting flying rockets...

First, the "Liberty" lunar mission that starts the show off, specifically the Orion capsule and service module over the moon...
DSCF3547.jpgDSCF3548.jpg

Next, the Liberty lunar lander, very roughly based on the Altair lander, by all appearances, with its "banners" deployed...
DSCF3549.jpgDSCF3550.jpg

Finally, a spacesuited Nazi...
DSCF3567.jpg
Very storm-trooper-ish...

More to come! OL JR :)

Last edited:
First, one of the Nazi "Zeppelin" UFO carriers...
DSCF3488.jpg

A closeup of the UFO carrier...
DSCF3490.jpg

A closeup of the UFO's themselves shortly after their "Viper style" launch from the Zeppelins...
DSCF3491.jpg

The Zeppelin invasion fleet approaches Earth...
DSCF3492.jpg

One more closeup of the very Stormtrooper-like Nazi spacesuits...
DSCF3568.jpg

The surprise the President has up her own sleeve... the Mars Exploration ship, the USS George W. Bush...
DSCF3494.jpgDSCF3495.jpgDSCF3496.jpg

Which subsequently makes an attack run, (presumably) particle gun blazing away, on the Nazi Zeppelin UFO Carriers...
DSCF3497.jpg

The USS George W. Bush flies past the Nazi Zeppelin UFO Carriers its attacking...
DSCF3498.jpg

Another shot of the USS George W. Bush before deploying its particle cannon...
DSCF3499.jpg

A shot of the deck of the USS George W. Bush, with a tactical display of the Nazi Zeppelin UFO Carriers...
DSCF3500.jpg

A shot of the USS George W. Bush with its particle cannon deployed, after its attack run on the Nazi Zeppelin UFO Carriers...
DSCF3501.jpg

The USS George W. Bush fires aft machine guns and missiles at pursuing and attacking Nazi UFO's...
DSCF3503.jpg

As it continues its attack run on more Nazi Zeppelin UFO Carriers...
DSCF3504.jpg

Closeup of a Nazi Zeppelin UFO Carrier orbiting Earth...
DSCF3505.jpg

The Earth Fleet joins the attack to save the USS George W. Bush from the UFO attacks...
DSCF3506.jpg

A closeup of the Japanese attack spacecraft...
DSCF3507.jpg

The Australian spacecraft manuevers into position...
DSCF3509.jpg

The Japanese ship flies past the camera with another unidentified Earth Combined Fleet ship off its flank, with the British space ship following behind with the Australian space ship at its side...
DSCF3511.jpg

The British spaceship (with the Union Jack painted on its forward hull) and the Australian ship right above it sail into action...
DSCF3512.jpg

Another unidentified Earth Combined Fleet ship flies into battle...
DSCF3513.jpg

A closeup of the British and Australian ships...
DSCF3515.jpg

The British ship would make an interesting flying model (without the forward solar arrays or whatever they are... and the aft ones enlarged to act as fins...)
DSCF3516.jpg

A full side view of the British ship, as the Australian ship beside it opens its tulip-like forward shroud to deploy its particle weapon... and its aft tulip-petal "solar arrays" (which could act as fins)...
DSCF3517.jpg

Another unidentified ship flies past, with the British ship in the background, and a couple of others on-screen...
DSCF3518.jpg

The Australian ship opens its tulip-like forward shroud to deploy its weapons, and its aft solar panels (or whatever they are, which would make convenient "drag fins" on a flying version!)...
DSCF3519.jpg

Aft quarter view of the British spaceship...
DSCF3520.jpg

The Japanese spaceship flies across the screen...
DSCF3521.jpg

As the enhanced Russian "Mir" space battleship soars into view, dwarfing the British ship off its beam...
DSCF3522.jpg

The Russian "Mir" space battleship soars menacingly across the screen, dwarfing everything else in its path...
DSCF3523.jpg

Another view of the "enhanced" Mir...
DSCF3524.jpg

One of the Nazi UFO pilots with their decidedly steampunk version of a TIE Fighter helmet from Star Wars...
DSCF3526.jpgDSCF3527.jpg

The British and Australian ships launch their attack, along with the rest of the Earth Combined Fleet...
DSCF3529.jpg

The Russian "Mir" space battleship fires off its particle beam weapon at the Nazis...
DSCF3530.jpg

As the USS George W. Bush continues to evade Nazi UFO's and presses its attack on the Nazi Zeppelin UFO Carriers...
DSCF3531.jpg

Destroying a UFO Carrier as it zooms by with motion blur in a full side view...
DSCF3535.jpg

Joining up with the rest of the Earth Grand Fleet...
DSCF3536.jpg

Before the Fleet sets off for the moon to finish off the Nazis...
DSCF3537.jpg

The USS George W. Bush, leading the Earth Grand Fleet, arrives in lunar orbit to continue its attack on the Moon Nazis...
DSCF3538.jpg

A good view of the aft propulsion section of the USS George W. Bush and the twin counterrotating "habitat rings" (which would make a dandy ring fin if positioned a little further aft on a flying model...)
DSCF3540.jpg

A full rear view of the USS George W. Bush... the twin-tulip-like Australian spacecraft is up in the corner...
DSCF3541.jpg

A full-on frontal view of the now-inverted USS George W. Bush, about to launch its nuclear payload...
DSCF3542.jpg

The USS George W. Bush pulls up hard to avoid a new Nazi threat...
DSCF3543.jpg

A closeup top view of the USS George W. Bush...
DSCF3544.jpg

A nice side view of the USS George W. Bush...
DSCF3545.jpg

Side perspective view of the USS George W. Bush...
DSCF3546.jpg

Battleship Biterolf ready for the Meteorblitzkrieg...
DSCF3551.jpg

A closeup of Battleship Biterolf...
DSCF3552.jpg

Mrs. President: "You all added WEAPONS to your space ships! You broke your WORD! You gave us your WORD you wouldn't put weapons in space..." (indignantly)

UN Delegate: "The US has weapons on its spacecraft... You have broken YOUR word as well... you gave your word too..."

Mrs. President: "OF COURSE we broke our word... we're the United States-- THAT'S WHAT WE DO!!! Who here DIDN'T put weapons on their space ships?!??"

(sheepishly) Finland Ambassador raises his hand timidly as all others laugh at him...

LOL:)

Details of the markings on the USS George W. Bush, with its distinctive "W" emblem with "feathers" coming off the sides of the W, reminiscent of the German "Kriegsadler" or "War Eagle" (that topped their Nazi flag staffs and part of their governmental seal...)
DSCF3553.jpg

A full inverted view of the USS George W. Bush... about to unleash more of its nuclear payload...
DSCF3554.jpg

The USS George W. Bush in a majestic side view, flying over the surface of the moon...
DSCF3556.jpg

The USS George W. Bush, the Russian Space Battleship MIR, and the British spaceship fly over the lunar surface...
DSCF3557.jpg

The Mir, the Bush, and the British ship fly in formation, giving a relative size comparison of the three...
DSCF3558.jpg

The USS George W. Bush deploys its flank missile launchers...
DSCF3559.jpg

And fires off a volley of missiles after taking some heavy hits itself...
DSCF3561.jpg

The Russian MIR Space Battleship takes some hard hits...
DSCF3563.jpg

The Japanese and British spaceships jockey for position...
DSCF3564.jpg

One final closeup of the British spaceship...
DSCF3569.jpg

Some teasers and trailers for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_IndUbcxc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KEueJnsu80&bpctr=1357629464

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNDaOFQ6g2I

The first four minutes of the movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX2cS8wvQHI

I LOVE this music video... SO classic! I don't know who this Kaiti Kink is, but she's HOTT, and she can SING! They should have her doing the next BOND theme... (great scenes from the movie in the video as well...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ-tQpzNdX4

Enjoy... OL JR :)

PS... they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... the parodies have already started...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU0CJxUPpAM

Back