Estes Body Tube Cutters: first impression

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmotiger

Reaction score
I got a box from Hobbylinc on Saturday, including my new Estes Tube cutters. I tried the out the BT-50 yesterday afternoon, cutting a length for my Teros clone.

They come with simple instructions, and fit over the tube snugly. My quick tryout gave me a very positive impression. They are easy to use two handed, without needing any sort of additional clamp, etc.

The only small problem I had was that the blade started to wander once it got to the point that it had gone through tubing. That was mainly an issue of needing to go slow and pay attention to keeping the blade snug against the ring. Using an expended engine (or similar mandrel) inside the tube while cutting would also probably help with that. While the final cut was not 100% perfect, it was better than many of my previous cuts using a razor saw or the aluminum angle method. Cleaned up with a bit of sandpaper, it looks very good. I'm sure that with some practice I can get excellent results with these.

I got a box from Hobbylinc on Saturday, including my new Estes Tube cutters. I tried the out the BT-50 yesterday afternoon, cutting a length for my Teros clone.

They come with simple instructions, and fit over the tube snugly. My quick tryout gave me a very positive impression. They are easy to use two handed, without needing any sort of additional clamp, etc.

The only small problem I had was that the blade started to wander once it got to the point that it had gone through tubing. That was mainly an issue of needing to go slow and pay attention to keeping the blade snug against the ring. Using an expended engine (or similar mandrel) inside the tube while cutting would also probably help with that. While the final cut was not 100% perfect, it was better than many of my previous cuts using a razor saw or the aluminum angle method. Cleaned up with a bit of sandpaper, it looks very good. I'm sure that with some practice I can get excellent results with these.

That's good to hear. I'm planning to get a set myself. I like anything that makes rocket building easier and faster.

Thanks for the quick review cosmoT

for the price $10-15,, and with the clamping action ,, it's hard to make something the same homebrew for that price.

can someone who has been using these a while give a detailed review , w/ pics ?
or better yet a video ?

Hey, that's great! I didn't know these were out yet. I can't wait to get a set!

Hey, that's great! I didn't know these were out yet. I can't wait to get a set!

Hobbylinc just put them up on their site last week. I had an e-mail alert set up, so I jumped on it right away.

And I may have picked up a couple of kits at the same time. Just to make the order worthwhile. ;)

Back