Quest Harpoon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacEsq

Reaction score
Just bought this kit and it will be ther first for me with multiple fin levels. I was wondering if any of you veterans have tips for perfect alignment of the levels. Do you do them all at once? One at a time? I have the Estes jig thing but not too sure that will be of any help here.

Also, the kit picture shows the nose cone being a light metalic color but the directions make no mention of any different color to paint it. Anyone built this kit and what did you use.

Also ... was considering upgrading to D/E engine mount. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Just bought this kit and it will be ther first for me with multiple fin levels. I was wondering if any of you veterans have tips for perfect alignment of the levels. Do you do them all at once? One at a time? I have the Estes jig thing but not too sure that will be of any help here.

Also, the kit picture shows the nose cone being a light metalic color but the directions make no mention of any different color to paint it. Anyone built this kit and what did you use.

Also ... was considering upgrading to D/E engine mount. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Mount your forward fins as straight as possible. After they set up use a tongue depressor or a paint stirrer. Clamp the stirrer to both forward and aft fins. Allow the aft fins to set up before removing the stirrer. You can get them at home depot.

Have your kids save their Popsicle sticks or get some craft sticks from the craft store.
The paint stirrer stick could work but might be too large for the Harpoon.
Pick out craft sticks that are straight, some are warped.

Like in the pics below:

Scavenger H 004_WEB.jpg

Scavenger H 003_WEB.jpg

I noticed that paint/picture discrepancy as well. If you look on the internet all the photos of the “Harpoon” I could find show them a basic all encompassing WHITE.

If your kit is anything like mine the centering rings are crap. Their O.D. is way smaller than the I.D. of the body tube.

This didn’t bother me too much as I built mine for 24mm D motors.

Flies nice with an Estes D12.

You know ,I did a search and found this thread.I just bought a few Quest kits and the Harpoon was one of them, so I cracked her open and started to build it.

I found ,as mentioned, that the CRs are kinda...well....not so good ,warped and cheap looking.

What`s with the gloss painted motor tube ? Like glue is going to stick to that...sanded it all off.

Those bits of Kevlar and elastic are a little short ,although the kevlar is workable ,that elastic is just silly !

My body tube seems a little flimsy and heavily spiraled/grooved and oval !

This does not seem normal from the other kits I`ve built ,although the last two were the Minotaur and Future Launch Vehicle ,both GREAT kits ! Even the Tomahawk I built years ago ,seemed better.

Not trying to bash Quest kits ,just not too impressed with this one ,but i`ll make it work alright.

The motor hook is good though !

Paul t

You know ,I did a search and found this thread.I just bought a few Quest kits and the Harpoon was one of them, so I cracked her open and started to build it.

I found ,as mentioned, that the CRs are kinda...well....not so good ,warped and cheap looking.

What`s with the gloss painted motor tube ? Like glue is going to stick to that...sanded it all off.

Those bits of Kevlar and elastic are a little short ,although the kevlar is workable ,that elastic is just silly !

This does not seem normal from the other kits I`ve built ,although the last two were the Minotaur and Future Launch Vehicle ,both GREAT kits ! Even the Tomahawk I built years ago ,seemed better.

Not trying to bash Quest kits ,just not too impressed with this one ,but i`ll make it work alright.

The motor hook is good though !

Paul t

Quest kits are even cheaper than Estes, so some of the component quality can be scary. But what do you expect for those low retail prices? Quest plastic chutes are the worst - use lots of talc. I just bought an Estes Patriot kit and YIKES, the quality was terrible as they must have switched CHICOM subcontractors to the prison factories in the Gobi Desert and Tibet. Kit quality can vary over time, especially Estes. Maybe you got a Quest one made on a bad day.

The Harpoon likes to whistle on its way up. For some reason mine went a bit sideways on the second flight but has flown OK since. Maybe it caught a breeze at 100 feet with all those fins.

Funny, I've liked the Quest kits better because I like the kevlar+elastic cord better than the rubber-band and folded paper on Estes. That said, I recently finished the future launch vehicle, and hated the wraps. Looks Cheap with a capital C, and the paper finlets and nozzles are just trash. I loved the Navajo AGM two stage (well, until it went acrobatic on a C6-0 to C6-7 at 100' and then did a powered core sample.) I have a Minotaur, but it's still in the box, too.

I have a Harpoon in the build pile plus a "spare" cobalt to use as a booster stage (weird 40mm BT) to make it match the ship/sub launched version of the real thing.

If you don't want to mess with the headache of warping or twisting wood when using popsicle stix or paint stirrers, and especially if you think you might be building more rockets in the future with fins arranged along the length of the rocket, you might go ahead and step up to aluminum. If you go to your local hardware store (including places like Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc) you can find lengths of aluminum angle stock for reasonable prices.

The aluminum angle stock can also double as a tool for drawing the fin root marks onto the sides of the body tube all along the length of the rocket.

I found, as mentioned, that the CRs are kinda...well....not so good ,warped and cheap looking.

The motor hook is good though !Paul t

On my Quest Cobalt kit the centering rings slipped right through the main tube! I built up the inside diameter of the mainframe tube with a glued wrap of paper.
The centering rings were thicker than what I've seen in earlier kits though.
The motor mount tubes weren't shiny, but too thin for me. That blue tube works best when it is used in the 20mm tubes, not best by itself.
My elastic was plenty long!
I've seen good and bad tubes in the Estes kits too. The Minotaur (and other Quest Advanced Rocketry) kits are all from US made parts, boxed in the USA.
I've replaced some engine hooks from the Quest kits. Sometimes they aren't made from spring steel. You pull it back to insert an engine and it stays bent out!

On my Quest Cobalt kit the centering rings slipped right through the main tube! I built up the inside diameter of the mainframe tube with a glued wrap of paper.
The centering rings were thicker than what I've seen in earlier kits though.
The motor mount tubes weren't shiny, but too thin for me. That blue tube works best when it is used in the 20mm tubes, not best by itself.
My elastic was plenty long!
I've seen good and bad tubes in the Estes kits too. The Minotaur (and other Quest Advanced Rocketry) kits are all from US made parts, boxed in the USA.
I've replaced some engine hooks from the Quest kits. Sometimes they aren't made from spring steel. You pull it back to insert an engine and it stays bent out!

I don`t remember the Tomohawk cruise M. having these problems ( I just bought another for upscaling ) ,as it was my first Quest kit.

I found the Minotaur kit to be a GREAT kit as was the Future Launch Vehicle ,but some don`t care for the wraps ,myself ,I thought they were very nice.I did of course do some mods to these kits (TTW and others)

I hope this didn`t sound like a Quest bash ,it was not my intent,just a few observations and problems like these can easily be fixed.

I`m really looking forward to starting my Aerospace One soon.

Paul T

I`m really looking forward to starting my Aerospace One soon.
Paul T

I redrew the decals (I'm not a big fan of thick skinned peel and stick)
If you'd like a copy to print your own - email and request the Aerospace One PDF at:
[email protected]

Bill Stine gave me permission to send out the art.
These are not the decals for the larger blue trim areas. I masked and painted those.

Set the Aerospace One up for D12-5 engines, it needed more power.
I've seen one launched with a B and C. It certainly works, but with a little nose weight the D12 is great!

I redrew the decals (I'm not a big fan of thick skinned peel and stick)
If you'd like a copy to print your own - email and request the Aerospace One PDF at:
[email protected]

Bill Stine gave me permission to send out the art.
These are not the decals for the larger blue trim areas. I masked and painted those.

Set the Aerospace One up for D12-5 engines, it needed more power.
I've seen one launched with a B and C. It certainly works, but with a little nose weight the D12 is great!

Chris ,

I was going to email you about the decals, as I was checking out your build on your blog ,as i always do and enjoy greatly !

D-12 is a good idea.

Yessir ,I hate those ruddy "stickers" absolutely ! My Minotaur stickers went straight to the dust bin ,as like the ones in your build blog ,they were wrinkled and separated from the backing.

I`m glad you took the time to scan them ,BRAVO !

Give me a nice waterslide decal anyday ,or vinyl like Stickershock23 .

Estes is getting it right with their good quality decals ,those I really enjoy using !

Paul T

Back