Plastic Fin Repair

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Galt

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
During my build of Aerotech's G-Force, I discovered that all six sides of the fins have deep indentations of "mold break-off points." I contacted Aerotech's warranty dept. and they are willing to replace my fins with ones that may be less flawed.
Rather than send my fins back (time & money) can anybody suggest to me ways to fill these indentations in plastic fins?
Thank you.

It's possible to fill and sand those imperfections with most of the same "fillers" used to fill our regular fins. many of the light weight Bondo products come to mind.

If your looking for a special material designed specifically for Styrene or polycarbonate plastics. Squadron Green or White putty work very well. as will many of the fine Red oxide or other Spot putties we use on metal and woods.

Excellent! I have Bondo Spot Putty but wasn't sure if it would work. I was very disappointed with the quality control from Aerotech, but was satisfied with their offer to replace my fins. I think fixing them myself will give me the opportunity to hone my repair skills.
Thanks for your help.

Back