Plastic Cement Screw up and Fix

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Phantasmo

Reaction score
Shortly after Estes released SpaceShipOne (18mm), I started building it, during the hurricane Rita evacuation. I used way too much Testors plastic cement; I used it for the entire build. The photos show the damage I did on the plastic parts. So, I left it in a dark place for 5 years. I used an Exacto knife to separate all the wood parts, because I put the wing portion that attaches to the body fore to aft backwards; it wasn't too bad since I used plastic cement. I re-sanded, WOOD glued and resealed all the wing parts.

While taking off one of the wings, I caused further damage to the fore of the rear plastic fuselage. I cut some small strips of plastic and used a LITTLE plastic cement to make a framework for some automotive spot putty. On the nose cone and rear, I used a #11 blase to drill some holes in the melted places to give the spot putty something hold on to. After sand, fill, sand, fill, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, white paint and more white paint, I surprised myself. I'm not sure how it'll hold up to flights.

PA240947.JPG

PA240948.JPG

PA240950.JPG

PA270951.JPG

PA300955.JPG

Last edited:
PATIENTS is the key!

Very nice recovery... your patient recovered fully with due patience on your part to get it fixed...

(Patients are in hospitals, patience is what it takes to make things right...:))

Just sayin'... :)

KUTGW!!! OL JR :)

Holy Cow! You did an EXCELLENT job of pulling that one out of the fire! I've got one too and I'm afraid I woulda just chucked it. Congrats, man-this is an all time save fer sure! Looks really, really nice! Now go fly the snot out of it!

Very nice recovery... your patient recovered fully with due patience on your part to get it fixed...

(Patients are in hospitals, patience is what it takes to make things right...:))

Just sayin'... :)

KUTGW!!! OL JR :)

Thanks. I know better, I usually proof my stuff better. I'll edit it and make you look crazy!:D

Back