Jolly Logic - I wonder if there's way

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketManDan

Reaction score
to download the information off the device into a printable forum like word? I emailed John at Jolly Logic and he said there's no way...just thought maybe someone had a way around it?

Just so there's no mystery, here's why you can't download data from the AltimeterOne and AltimeterTwo: neither device actually has USB data capability.

I chose the USB plug shape for recharging because it is the single most common (and thus convenient) source of plug-in DC power, and so you wouldn't need to buy or keep track of another cable. The (+) and (-) pins of the USB plug connect to the Lithium Polymer battery charger.

It's understandable that you might see it and think: "Cool. Data!" But alas, no.

Just charging.

--John Beans, Jolly Logic

I bought one (Jolly Logic 2) yesterday...well actually my girlfriend did for me for Valentine's Day...I know she's cool! Another cool toy to play with :D

I chose the USB plug shape for recharging because it is the single most common (and thus convenient) source of plug-in DC power, and so you wouldn't need to buy or keep track of another cable. The (+) and (-) pins of the USB plug connect to the Lithium Polymer battery charger.

That's a great idea, John! Especially when you consider how many people have the ability to provide USB power in the field -- laptop, car stereo, etc. So, it's really easy to recharge the altimeter when the need arises.

-Kevin

Just so there's no mystery, here's why you can't download data from the AltimeterOne and AltimeterTwo: neither device actually has USB data capability.

It's understandable that you might see it and think: "Cool. Data!" But alas, no.

Just charging.

I'm not sure why this is, but some USB sockets just seem to make good contact with the Alt 1 and 2 but I've had very good luck with the USB sockets on my iPod/iPhone and Kindle chargers.

Go figure.

I'm not sure why this is, but some USB sockets just seem to make good contact with the Alt 1 and 2 but I've had very good luck with the USB sockets on my iPod/iPhone and Kindle chargers.

They're probably looking for something specific on the data pins to indicate that a device is present.

-Kevin

That rocks.:blush:

She is the best...she also got me one of those Bat Rays from Mad Cow...the 29mm version. I still need to build it, but I will soon. Going launching this weekend. She has never been...I hope she gets the bug and gets more involved.

I probably should have made the USB connector just a titch longer. For instance, it's not quite long enough to charge in my son's MacBook Pro, because in the more recent model the case of the MacBook keeps it from plugging in far enough to make contact.

The altimeters present a very modest power draw, about 25mA. You should *always* make sure you see the red light when charging. (Otherwise, it's not charging...)

there won't be any issue charging it in my dell laptop will there? I also have a USB hub as an option.

Some USB ports work better for charging than others. I assume it is the shape of the computer case around the ports so some provide better access than others. It is obvious when it is plugged in if it is charging or not as the red LED really lights up.

Using the USB ports for power is an old trick that works well on must newer computers with a bunch of USB ports. USB 2 spec ports source 0.5 amps so it's useful for supplying DC power. I've got a USB powered LED lamp on a flex head that can be directed where you need extra light if your working in the dark. I frequently use the USB port on my laptop to recharge my phone when I'm working on the computer.

In the dark ages, you could use the game port on a PC as a power supply and a pair of low resolution ADCs.

Bob

there won't be any issue charging it in my dell laptop will there? I also have a USB hub as an option.
Couldn't say, Dan. You're gonna just have to try it and if it works, you're golden.

It didn't work for me on my desktop or notebook, both of which are somewhat dated.

I think if you have any kind of USB charger it should work. I have a USB charger that I can plug into the cigar lighter in my truck and it seems to work just fine.

I have a couple of chargers that plugs in the cig lighter port of my car then has a usb on the other end very convienent..I use to charge my electronic cigarette batterys.........but thats another topic

Couldn't say, Dan. You're gonna just have to try it and if it works, you're golden.

It didn't work for me on my desktop or notebook, both of which are somewhat dated.

I think if you have any kind of USB charger it should work. I have a USB charger that I can plug into the cigar lighter in my truck and it seems to work just fine.

I have a charger that I can plug in that will work...or I hope it will.

Back