Rail button mounts on WildChild?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKailas Dad

Reaction score
I am looking to install removable buttons. There is very minimal internal room between the MMT and the BT for the lower rail button nut.

It is too shallow for t-nuts, and, because I have never used them, I am not sure if a well nut will fit either. Can well nuts be cut shorter to fit (the rubber part)?

I have also never tried to drill and tap FG tube, would that work? Common sense tells me it's too thin to tap. And/Or/But, the rear CR is too narrow to tap into... I'm using 6-32 screws.

Other than epoxying on a launch lug :eyeroll:, and keeping it removable, what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance....

(...still my first FG build :eek:)

just drill and tap. then if you want, go back and soak the holes with c.a. (thin suerglue)
The screws that come with the buttons (from Tim) are self tapping. Just drill a 1/8'' hole and install the screw.

I felt uncomfortable with rail buttons on the tight airframe and so I went with Acme rail lugs (actually one lug cut in half and ground down to an aerodynamic profile which looked much better on the WildChild's small airframe).

to think that folks say that I over think things :). I'm thinking to mount a 1/32" pad under each lug and call it good.
rex

i used railbuttons on my sons wildchild. all i did was shorten the screw just a bit so it bearly bottomed out against the motor mount tube. with a drop of CA. on the end of the screw makes for a firm fit yet still removable.

option 2 i used on my older sons darkstar mini (same small space).

i added a extra railbutton piece/washer to each railbutton as a spacer. you would have to sacrifice a rail button. making each one a 4 piece set instead of 3

Just for experimental sake, I drilled and tapped a piece of 1/16th FG fin material with a 6-32 thread. I used an undersized drill bit compared to the tap. Oh, I just found a drill and tap chart.

Should I be using a #36 (.1065) drill bit? I want to do it right the first time...

Much to my dismay, not only did it work, I could actually tighten down the screw enough to start squishing the rail button. Alot! (Obviously tighter than it would ever be.)

Chadrog, are those nylon or delrin? They seem pretty soft. They are the ones you gave me at the Christmas party....

Thanks again!

Chadrog, are those nylon or delrin? They seem pretty soft. They are the ones you gave me at the Christmas party....

Thanks again!

First off, glad it worked. Second, Scott put the bag o' buttons out, I was dealin' screw switches... I didn't really give the buttons a good look - are they bright white or kinda off-white? Delrin is more bright, nylon is more off.

they were fairly bright(not what I would expect for a 'natural' nylon color).

Back