Estes - Challenger II (#1330) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Initiator001

Reaction score
The Estes Challenger II model first appeared in the 1980 catalog. It was listed as being 'easy to assemble and fly in less than one hour'. All the main parts were pre-colored and the model featured a 24mm motor mount. The Challenger II was promoted as the high altitude launch vehicle for the Astrocam 110 aerial camera.

I think this could have been the first use by Estes of the Centuri/Enerjet ST-13 fin can and molded nose cone.

The Challenger II last appeared in the 1985 Estes catalog.

Here is a picture of a Challenger II in my collection. I did not build this one and bought from a flyer who was selling off his models many years ago. I am posting a picture of this model as it is much better looking than the one I built and flew many times. ;)

Estes Challenger II.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Estes Challenger II model first appeared in the 1980 catalog. It was listed as being 'easy to assemble and fly in less than one hour'. All the main parts were pre-colored and the model featured a 24mm motor mount. The Challenger II was promoted as the high altitude launch vehicle for the Astrocam 110 aerial camera.

I think this could have been the first use by Estes of the Centuri/Enerjet ST-13 fin can and molded nose cone.

The Challenger II last appeared in the 1985 Estes catalog.

Here is a picture of a Challenger II in my collection. I did not build this one and bought from a flyer who was selling off his models many years ago. I am posting a picture of this model as it is much better looking than the one I built and flew many times. ;)

This is basically the same rocket (somewhat shorter) that later was lengthened to become the Maniac, and redecorated as the "Eliminator".

It looks SO much better than the rather rediculously decorated "Maniac". I flew Astrocams on the Maniac and got some pretty good pics... The Eliminator is a MUCH better looking decorating scheme for this rocket... but it's still not got the "old school class" of the basic Challenger II, IMHO...

Nice rocket! OL JR :)

true the maniac, but you can always leave the stickers off

true the maniac, but you can always leave the stickers off

Which is EXACTLY what I did...

The one I have is in flourescent orange now, instead of that pitiful yellow tube with the blue fins and nosecone... :puke:

later! OL JR :)

Welcome to the Estes Challenger II (#1330) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Challenger II (#1330) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Challenger II: #1330

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Challenger II (#1330) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Challenger II Also known as:

NUMBER: #1330

Introduced: 1980
Final Year: 1985
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 24.25"
Diameter: 1.34"
Span:
Weight: 3.0 oz

Mfg. Description: High performance "D" engine powered sport model. Easy-to-assemble and fly in less than one hour. No painting required with black plastic fin-unit, yellow nose cone and pre-colored white body tube. Features kit decals, quick-release engine mount and 12" recovery parachute. Recommended high altitude launch vehicle for the AstroCam 110 Aerial Camera. Take fantastic aerial photos from over 1,200 feet. (AstroCam 110 camera not included) (Estes 1980 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-challenger%20ii%201330-1980%20cat.jpg
1980 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-challenger%20ii%201330-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Here is mine. Not an original but it has all the correct parts.

Built from a crashed Maniac kit. The tube was cut to the correct length, motor mount was replaced and a nose cone was sourced.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    763.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    857.1 KB · Views: 0
Estes Challenger II on pad.JPG

This was an eBay buy, a crushed original Challenger II. I was able to make a barely identifiable cut below the crushed tube and work a tube connector inside to shore up the weak spot.

Back