Polishing wet sanded paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decyple

Reaction score
Is there a good way to bring a shine to paint (Duplicolor) that has been wet sanded? I know I can use future to polish it, and/or a shot of clear coat but that is not what i want to do. What I want to do is make the specular highlights pop by polishing it by hand. I wet sand to 2000 grit then used 3M rubbing compound to clean it up, sealer/cleaner, and then polishing compound. Still not quite what i am looking for.

I have in the past used tooth paste to bring a good shine to it but it leaves that fresh minty smell...:D

Any thoughts or ideas?

Is there a good way to bring a shine to paint (Duplicolor) that has been wet sanded? I know I can use future to polish it, and/or a shot of clear coat but that is not what i want to do. What I want to do is make the specular highlights pop by polishing it by hand. I wet sand to 2000 grit then used 3M rubbing compound to clean it up, sealer/cleaner, and then polishing compound. Still not quite what i am looking for.

I have in the past used tooth paste to bring a good shine to it but it leaves that fresh minty smell...:D

Any thoughts or ideas?

I would try Meguiar's hand glaze. If it was a car I would go with #2, #3 and seal with wax. I use to detail cars so I have it down what works best ...

2000 grit is rather coarse for wetsanding clear before buffing/polishing to that level . I build scale model cars and it's not uncommon
to work up to 6000,8000, up to 12000,,, grit sanding pads employed in that process.
than the final buff and polish stage

at the least, you will need to go to a finer grit than 2000,, if you want a crystal shine

Stymye answer will do it.
or try 3m Finessit-II to repolish. either should bring back the gloss, then any really good wax or NU-finish application well make the surface gleam.

Jeez, I already thought i was being anal enough by using 2000 grit! :eyepop: And 12000 grit!?! I didnt even know they went that high. Anyway thanks for the replies...

Looks like I might have to order more sandpaper to bring a new level of OCD to the table!

or glaze...

lol.. yes 12000 grit is not uncommon for that ,, but lets face it ,,,your not building a show car.. but you would benefit going to a higher grit if you really want to get to what a buffing compound is usable for without wearing your arms out.

and don't jump between grits either...you want to work your way up... how far is up to you

Last edited:
Andy

You are right. i forgot the higher grit sand paper/polishing pads available. It's a process/system to achieving gloss results/

Paint a coat of Future floor polish (now Pledge with Future Shine) on it. It's acrylic so it will not attack your paint, it does not leave brush marks, and it;s tough as nails.

Back