Alt. bay help?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey

Reaction score
I am building a Performance Rocketry Intimidator 4 as my first dual deploy rocket. Everything has gone great so far, but I have become stuck towards the end here.

The Kit does not come with an centering ring that would keep the Alt bay from sliding down the airframe durring launch. My plan was to drill holes in the alt bay to the upper payload section and secure the alt bay with some nuts and bolts. Stupid Idea?

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Most people use screws (I prefer pan head as they have a flatter profile) and a t-nut or speed nut on the inside of the av-bay. With a 4" rocket three screw/nut locations should be fine.

I am planning on mounting it in a coupler like that. The problem that I am running in to is that most couplers would have a ring on them that is the same size as the body tube of the rocket. This kit did not come with a centering ring of sorts to keep the coupler from sliding down in the tube of the rocket.

I was thinking about using plastic rivits, but I am not sure if they would be strong enough to keep the coupler from sliding down?

This is my first post by the way. Thank you for all the great suport! People like this is why I love rocketry!

How about cutting a 1" band off the body tube, and glue that to your av bay?

I am planning on mounting it in a coupler like that. The problem that I am running in to is that most couplers would have a ring on them that is the same size as the body tube of the rocket. This kit did not come with a centering ring of sorts to keep the coupler from sliding down in the tube of the rocket.

I was thinking about using plastic rivits, but I am not sure if they would be strong enough to keep the coupler from sliding down?

This is my first post by the way. Thank you for all the great suport! People like this is why I love rocketry!

Actually what I believe you are referring to is what some people call the switch band, or switch ring. This is a small (1" to 2") piece of body tube epoxied at the approximate middle point of the av-bay which is used to both mount a switch and provide sampling hole access. Although convenient, it is really not needed. You can mount a key switch or slide switch in the av-bay coupler right at the point the booster and payload body tube meet providing cut outs on each side top and bottom. Then use the screw assemblies or plastic rivets to hold it in place in the payload bay as suggested. Finally, put your sampling hole in the fore portion of the av-bay in the stationary payload section.

If you wanted to go the "traditional" route, you could cut a one inch length off of either your booster or payload section and glue that to the center of your bay for the vent/switch band.

Actually what I believe you are referring to is what some people call the switch band, or switch ring. This is a small (1" to 2") piece of body tube epoxied at the approximate middle point of the av-bay which is used to both mount a switch and provide sampling hole access. Although convenient, it is really not needed. You can mount a key switch or slide switch in the av-bay coupler right at the point the booster and payload body tube meet providing cut outs on each side top and bottom. Then use the screw assemblies or plastic rivets to hold it in place in the payload bay as suggested. Finally, put your sampling hole in the fore portion of the av-bay in the stationary payload section.

Thanks for the help. Plastic rivets it is!

The way you are describing it, makes it confusing to me.... Others on here seem to know what you are referring to. A centering ring to me would be: what you use to center your motor mount and attach your fins to.

I've used machine screws ( my favorite) with or without the proverbial "Switch Band". Another name that you could call it ( that I haven't heard here) would be: Alt-bay switch (and or vent) hatch.

JD

Back