Basswood Thickness for MPR?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So many of you have used basswood instead of balsa that I figured "Maybe yous guyz knowz sumptin' I don't"

So when building with basswood do you go down one size in thickness? Like 3/32 balsa becomes 1/16th basswood? And 1/8th balsa becomes 3/32? Or do you substitute straight across? Seems straight across would be heavy/overkill?

Landrew.. guide us... :p

I just go straight across...it's not that much heavier, but I suppose if you wanted you could down one size. It doesn't matter the majority of people on here build to overkill and I'm sure whatever they think they are saving on weight by going down in thickness on their fins they surely make up for it with the globs of epoxy they use. It's like ordering a diet coke with that heart attack on a plate cheeseburger or hey cheese cake.:D

I sub 1/8 for 1/8 ,straight up.But you could use 3/32 instead of 1/8 and still be plenty strong ,but you get more crisp ,defined bevels with 1/8th.

Just my opinion.

Paul T

I'll offer my different opinion , the only time I'll stray from balsa(or papered balsa) is when I jump to Ply.. basswood is not much of an upgrade in my experience, it does not come close to the strength to weight ratio of balsa and has a definitive grain .. I have some 1/8" sheets in the shop that I can snap like a cracker along the grain with a tiny bit more effort over good quality balsa.

maybe I need to spend more time going thru the stock at the store, I don't know,but I'll take laminated balsa any day off the week, it's lighter and every bit as strong.

to each his own ,, if it works than that's cool,,me.. I'm not impressed

I'm not arguing by any means , just tossing out my opinion

basswood fin upgrade ..! is more of a "buzz word" to sell rockets Imho

Last edited:
I am working up an upscale of a BARCLONE design and felt it called for 1/8 balsa. Or Lite Ply. (I'll post the design later.) But I was thinking, always a bad idea :roll:, basswood at 3/32 would be as strong as the balsa, easier to finish, and not quite the weight of the lite ply (as well as easier to cut than lite ply).

I am working on rockets for the CTI 24mm which I think is a way under appreciated product line as most current 24mm reloads from AT are a far cry from full F's and G's.

I figured basswood was a nice compromise between 1/8 inch balsa and lite ply. Maybe I should have stuck with papered 3/32 balsa.

Guess I'll find out as I ordered some basswood sheets that should arrive tomorrow. I WAY over paid. Should have done my home work. :mad:

Live and learn.
Jeff

whatever works is all that matters ,
we all have different views on materials.
I'm sure any of those materials would do the job just fine Jeff

I actuality, the main reason I like Basswood is the beautiful way it finishes ,nice small pores ,cuts clean and sands nicely.Secondly ,It does not seem to dent as easily, but the way it finishes is the bonus for me (at least for my TLP kits) all other keep their Balsa stock fins.

With Basswood, I sand w/ 220 ,two nice coats of SIG wood sealer (smelly but good stuff ,dries fast) finish with 320 and finished like glass.

I`ve used that plywood (not light ply) and that stuff is major strong ,and comes in 1/32 ,1/6 and all the usual thicknesses.It is although much tougher to cut ,but strong!!

Paul T

I actuality, the main reason I like Basswood is the beautiful way it finishes ,nice small pores ,cuts clean and sands nicely.Secondly ,It does not seem to dent as easily, but the way it finishes is the bonus for me (at least for my TLP kits) all other keep their Balsa stock fins.

With Basswood, I sand w/ 220 ,two nice coats of SIG wood sealer (smelly but good stuff ,dries fast) finish with 320 and finished like glass.

I`ve used that plywood (not light ply) and that stuff is major strong ,and comes in 1/32 ,1/6 and all the usual thicknesses.It is although much tougher to cut ,but strong!!

Paul T

I agree with Paul, basswood finishes very easily. For mid power I would go with at least 1/8, I like 3/16 as well. I've used basswood a lot, it holds up much better than balsa.

I agree with sodmeister on this, I use basswood because it finishes nicer than balsa. The fact that it is a little more ding resistant is just a plus. However I do often step down a size in thickness when using bass vs balsa. It depends on the rocket.

If I really want extra strength i will go with ply.

I'll offer my different opinion , the only time I'll stray from balsa(or papered balsa) is when I jump to Ply.. basswood is not much of an upgrade in my experience, it does not come close to the strength to weight ratio of balsa and has a definitive grain .. I have some 1/8" sheets in the shop that I can snap like a cracker along the grain with a tiny bit more effort over good quality balsa.

maybe I need to spend more time going thru the stock at the store, I don't know,but I'll take laminated balsa any day off the week, it's lighter and every bit as strong.

to each his own ,, if it works than that's cool,,me.. I'm not impressed

I'm not arguing by any means , just tossing out my opinion

basswood fin upgrade ..! is more of a "buzz word" to sell rockets Imho

Ditto

Ditto? You provincial puts.

I'm a fan of laminate balsa but admittedly never swapped for basswood.

Just to mix it up Basswood is a softwood and Balsa is a hardwood... technicly... :roll: Had to through it out there, both have their place but would be cool to see a breaking study...

As far as density ,Basswood 560 Kg/cubic meter

Balsa is 160 Kg/cubic meter.

Paul T

I'm completely agree with Paul.
I'll choose Basswood over balsa or even laminated balsa every time. On Mid power I'd go 1/8" to 1/8" but as previously stated 3/32" basswood would do just as well.

The vastly shorter finishing time makes all the difference.

Could be that I`m just a little lazy and need results yesterday :D

But I just like the way it works, cuts and machines (to name a few)

Paul T

Okay... I have achieved basswood. :wink: .093. 3/32 inch... now... how the !@$@$ do you cut it? #11 takes a while, oui? :y::confused::bangpan:

I have used various thicknesses of basswood on different projects for everything from fins to centering rings and bulk plates. I found that 1/4" bass does a great job as a bulk plate and is a lot easier to work with than ply.

As for cutting, it depends on how thick it is. I have had good luck on thinner stock by scoring with a #11 blade and then either punching through with a #19 or using a fine razor saw. For thicker stuff I go to the scroll saw.

Latest posts

Back