Did someone say upscale Lance Beta??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkieley

Reaction score
I saw this thread (https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=17114) several months ago. This final post by jd2cylman said, “PS, an upscale would be cool” and I thought why yes…. yes it would be freakin awesome.

Curtis at Performance Rocketry really came through on this one…..

An 8” upscale Lance Beta!! Thanks for the idea jd2cylman.

I got home around midnight last night from a business meeting and it was sitting on the door step. I’ll spare you pictures of the boxes

I really want to have this ready for Red Glare XII. Much of it probably depends on weather for painting in late March early April. I have been successful in the past. Just depends. It will most certainly fly at LDRS XXXI.

I'll get some pics and details up soon.

G:
I was talking to Curtis about your kit, He says its going to be cool as hell! I look forward to seeing it.

Gman.. you got that right. Curtis was right on the money this time.

Already got most of the parts scrubbed up and wiped down with acetone, test fitted etc.

It has been almost 2 years since I built anything so I'm going to take it slow and make sure I get it right.

It's good to be in the building mode again...

You've already done a test fit, and didn't post at least a mock up beauty shot?!?!?! shame on you :no:

Should look good going up in Price. Would you by any chance be launching it on a nice black smoky motor?

You've already done a test fit, and didn't post at least a mock up beauty shot?!?!?! shame on you :no:

Should look good going up in Price. Would you by any chance be launching it on a nice black smoky motor?

No excuse I know for not posting pics, except my son stole my last charged camera battery. I'll get some either tonight or tomorrow.

Actually thinking the CTI N1800 for a shake down flight at RG. Really want to fly the N3180 at LDRS.

Last edited:
The Lance Beta was my first "big" rocket kit like 15 years ago. Can't wait to see this build!

Todd Harrison

Here are a few of the specs:

9.5' tall
8" diameter
Weight TBD. I have about 50 to 55 lbs dry. Probably will need some decent noseweight.
The canards have a fin tab depth of the tube wall thinkness. Wanted a little more stability on these rather than just surface mount.
98mm motor tube
G12 tubes and fins

Not so exciting pics but here are the two sections separately.

LBaftsection.jpg

LBforwardsection.jpg

Last edited:
Go big or go home, eh? When I mentioned upscale, I was thinking 6" dia. You know, a 2x sorta thing. Too easy, huh? Well I guess that does leave the 6" for me :)
But I was also thinkin cardboard, and tryin Titebond for all parts still. There you go with that crazy fiberglass :rolleyes:
I'll be watching too!
:pop:

Adrian

Here are a few of the specs:

Not so exciting pics but here are the two sections separately.

:eyepop: Bout time :D

Seriously cool!

Now you kust need a bigger house so you can stand the thing up inside :rofl:

:pop::pop:

Wow thats awesome, I'm jealous! I built a Lance back in 2000 when I was in high school as my third 'Big Kit', and I'm currently actually refinish it in-between steps on my Level 2 built. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this!

A rather uneventful weekend with multiple trips to the hardware stores. As I noted, I have not built anything in some time. Plus, I sold my house and moved in September. Locating, tools and supplies has been frustrating and exciting.

I opened up a toolbox and found things that were “missing” for years. Sort of like Christmas.

Any way, I started working on the av bay and hope to have that wrapped up this week. I’ll post some pics as it gets further along. Also I have to pick up some Blastcaps from Gary T.

I decided to use a SC Precision thrust plate. https://www.scpconcepts.com/rocket-accesories.html. This will hold up the process of building the fin can a week or so until the plate arrives. Scott will be doing a custom run for the 8” diameter PR G12 airframe.

So sit back, :pop:. More fulfilling posts to come...

It's a great day today and I'm back in business. The thrust plate from SC Precision came in alone with a set of The Blastcap Rocketry charge canisters.

This is the first run of the 8" diameter thrust plate to fit the Performance Rocketry 8" G12 ariframe. It looks fantastic.

Now I can get on with the build!!!!!!

IMG_7709.jpg

Boring, I know but still moving forward.

Here are pics of the finished 8" av bay with Blastcaps. I used four 3/8" all threads. I also used two 1/4" all threads to mount the same sled from my 4" and 6" av bays.

I have the forward and aft centering rings curing on the motor mount right now. I will be using a 1" kevlar strap as a "y" harness. I'll shoot a pic when it is ready to be inserted into the airframe.

I will be using the "Wildman technique" of internal fillets using chopped carbon fiber to secure the aft fins.

I hope to have that ready in the next couple of days.

IMG_7713.jpg

IMG_7715.jpg

Little by little this beast is coming together

I could post another picture of the airframe, but I'll spare you all.

The motor mount is in and ready to tack the fins this weekend. I promise some decent photos when that is done.

Gary.... can’t wait to get it done and in the air.

As promised, here is a dry fit of the fins using my BMI fin jig. Some of the disadvantages of a turn of the century rental house are low basement ceilings, uneven floors and filled with the owners crap. They were kind enough to clear out a lot but still stuffed to the gills.

I will tape the fins in place while the tacking epoxy cures.... (notice that the fin tip on the left has moved away from the airframe. I'll need to find some level floor space as well.

A few more steps tonight and I will be setting the fins tomorrow…

IMG_7717.jpg

The real thing, flown under the monikers T-22 Assaultbreaker and SIG-D. (Simplified Inertial Guidance - Demonstration)

assaultbreaker.jpg

sig-d_01.jpg

Thanks David. That is really cool. I was looking for a while to see if I could find the "real deal."

It appears as though in the NCR version the forward fins have a shorter semi span, larger sweep angle and are closer to the nose cone.....but overall you can see where NCR got the intial idea from.

Back