Quest Q2G2 Igniters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketManDan

Reaction score
I'm going to flying some clustered rockets I just recently built and I never used the QUEST igniters before. I just used the regular ESTES.

Are the QUEST igniters pretty good?

https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/qus/qus7024.htm

I'm going to be using the Aerotech Interlock controller. I read some where or heard that you have to be careful with igniters because they will sometimes ignite just by connecting the alligator clips. Is there any truth to this?

Yeah, they are good. A couple months back I flew a 8 motor BP cluster using these igniters. I used an Interlock and about 50' of extension (14 gauge I think). Anyhow, they all popped, and it was a great flight.

When clustering, always use 12 V. Relay controller would be even better, there is a dandy one described in the new NAR magazine.

Also, re: over-sensitivity of Q2 igniters, I have never heard of or seen this. If you have concerns over the continuity test function of your launch controller, test it with the igniters outside of the motor...

The Q2G2's are a low current breed that will light when using a standard Estes controller as soon as you insert the key that illuminates the bulb/indicates continuity. So if you are going to use and Estes controller, leave the key out, and expect the igniter to go when you insert the key (regardless of whether the "launch" button is depressed).

Yeah, they are good. A couple months back I flew a 8 motor BP cluster using these igniters. I used an Interlock and about 50' of extension (14 gauge I think). Anyhow, they all popped, and it was a great flight.

When clustering, always use 12 V. Relay controller would be even better, there is a dandy one described in the new NAR magazine.

Also, re: over-sensitivity of Q2 igniters, I have never heard of or seen this. If you have concerns over the continuity test function of your launch controller, test it with the igniters outside of the motor...

He is not asking about Quest Q2 igniters.

He is asking about Quest Q2G2 igniters.

They are different.

MANY threads on the subject with complete data on fire/nofire current and the various launch controllers and how much continuity current they deliver.

Aerotech controller is probably safe for Q2G2, but to be sure, simply contact Aerotech and ask them what the continuity current is. It is probably very low, which would make it very safe for the Q2G2 igniters.

The Q2G2 is one of the most amazing ignters for Model Rocket Motors ever.

He is not asking about Quest Q2 igniters.

He is asking about Quest Q2G2 igniters.

They are different.

MANY threads on the subject with complete data on fire/nofire current and the various launch controllers and how much continuity current they deliver.

Aerotech controller is probably safe for Q2G2, but to be sure, simply contact Aerotech and ask them what the continuity current is. It is probably very low, which would make it very safe for the Q2G2 igniters.

The Q2G2 is one of the most amazing ignters for Model Rocket Motors ever.

Fred

Thank you so much! That's the information I was looking for. One other question? I never clustered composites. Is it the same method as black powder? I know composites burn from the top down and I'm assuming with the longer igniters (8" Q2G2) this is possible if you can get them far enough up into the motor grain.

Fred

Thank you so much! That's the information I was looking for. One other question? I never clustered composites. Is it the same method as black powder? I know composites burn from the top down and I'm assuming with the longer igniters (8" Q2G2) this is possible if you can get them far enough up into the motor grain.

Clustering composites can be challenging (and dangerous). They are much harder to ignite than simple black powder motors. The propellant type is also important, as Blue Thunder ignites fairly easily, but other propellants can be stubborn (like White Lightning if it has gotten old and developed a thin crust on the surface).

For composite clusters, I would strongly recommend using a dipped igniter such as Magnelite with matching resistance on the igniters and a very, very good battery - one that can INSTANTLY deliver lots of amps. You might be able to use the longer Q2G2 ingiters, but they need to have plenty of pyrogen on the tip and they also need to fit through the composite motor nozzle. Some folks have dipped the Q2G2 to give them a longer coating of pyrogen. I prefer to use the Q2G2 or the First Fire Jr 3" igniters for single motors and if I cluster, I use dipped igniters made from copper telephone wire, nichrome (32 ga) and Magnelite. I've got the other popular brand of dip as well, but I have not mixed it yet because my Magnelite has lasted me years. MANY years.

The Q2G2's are a low current breed that will light when using a standard Estes controller as soon as you insert the key that illuminates the bulb/indicates continuity. So if you are going to use and Estes controller, leave the key out, and expect the igniter to go when you insert the key (regardless of whether the "launch" button is depressed).

There is an LED assembly with the same base as the bulb in the Estes controller that will not ignite Q2G2 on key insertion. These are used to replace the incandescent lamps in pinball machines. I believe this is the one you want. Check the lamp number in the Estes controller to be sure.

https://www.centsibleamusements.com/pinball-led-44-47.aspx

There is an LED assembly with the same base as the bulb in the Estes controller that will not ignite Q2G2 on key insertion. These are used to replace the incandescent lamps in pinball machines. I believe this is the one you want. Check the lamp number in the Estes controller to be sure.

https://www.centsibleamusements.com/pinball-led-44-47.aspx

I have E controller from ESTES but never considered using it FOR LARGE CLUSTERS. I could also use those bulbs for my own pinball machine I have in my man cave...thanks for the information.

Back