Attaching cardboard e-bay to cardboard main tube?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jberries

Reaction score
Hello
I am interested in construction ideas for fixing a cardboard tube electronics bay to a cardboard main tube. The e-bay is in the typical coupler style with wooden circle ends and a sled. I also need to be able to access the coupler electronics bay from time to time for maintenance, so I can't use a permanent solution, like gluing.
I have been searching the forums and 2 methods that come up are:
-friction fit with tape on the coupler ends
-screws through the main cardboard into the e-bay wood circles
What sort of other ideas are there for attaching 2 cardboard tubes together?
Many thanks
JBerries

What sort of other ideas are there for attaching 2 cardboard tubes together?
I use machine screws into T-nuts on the inside of the e-bay coupler. The T-nuts are inserted in small pieces of plywood which are then glued to the coupler.

Beware of the friction fitting option; I've found it's hard to get it tight enough to not blow the upper tube off at main deployment.

I glued two strips of basswood to the inner wall of my ebay and then just drilled holes (two on each side) through the airframe and ebay wall into them. Then I just screwed in short flathead machine screws to hold it in place. I also glued a thin centering ring into the upper section to act as a stop when I slid the ebay coupler into place.

Ebay and links.JPG

Ebay retention holes.JPG

Ebay stop.JPG

Javelin XL -2.jpg

Ebay strips.jpg

Last edited:
Back