Stuck Spray Can

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter_stanley

Reaction score
I was using a mostly new can of Krylon primer today; it got stuck, and wouldn't stop spraying. I just had to set it out in the yard and let it de-gas. Has anyone had this happen, and if so how to you fix(or prevent) it? I hated to waste all that since it costs almost 4.00/can.

No real solution except run outside and toss it or find a bag really quick and bury the can. had it happen before and after pulling the nozzle---BAD IDEA--kept spraying--H

Remove nozzle, pull the valve out with pliers if you can get it done fast. Or wrap it in plastic or paper then get it into a garbage bag asap. Don't seal bag, let gas escape but it should keep paint in. Keep outside and away from flame.

I had that happen with a can of Duplicolor primer, I had to think fast , thankfully I had a bag handy and I ran out side with it in the bag. This was in the middle of the night and I was nervous some one would think i was a vandal running around with a can of spray paint.

:D

I had this happen once. I didn't really think what might happen but i turned it over and smacked the nozzle on the ground it sputtered. i did it agian and it quit. not sure if that is a good idea or if i got lucky but there you go :)

-Z

Thanks for all the replies. Fortunately I was outside already, and could set it in a place where nothing would get messed up. I think I got enough on my rocket to go ahead and paint. It's a little lighter than most people would use, but I can live with it. This is my Fliskits MTTM Honest John. (I'll post a build thread on this soon)

IMG_0602.JPG

Quickly line up all your unpainted kits and spray 'em down.

Had it happen about three weeks ago, sorta got it to stop but then it was dripping steadily from the nozzle vs. spraying, found a bag quickly. It was Rustoleum, I e-mailed Rustoleum and they sent me $5 for a new can.

Had it happen about three weeks ago, sorta got it to stop but then it was dripping steadily from the nozzle vs. spraying, found a bag quickly. It was Rustoleum, I e-mailed Rustoleum and they sent me $5 for a new can.

That's a good idea. I think I'll contact the makers of Krylon about mine.

Altho' I have had very good luck with the Krylon Fusion plastic paint.
Just bought some the other day for a nose cone, but have never used it before-can you do the whole rocket with it? I usually use rusto primer, but have *many* others -too many others....:D.

Just bought some the other day for a nose cone, but have never used it before-can you do the whole rocket with it? I usually use rusto primer, but have *many* others -too many others....:D.

I used the fusion on the whole rocket. I got the orange first and it took far fewer coats than the standard paint. I painted my tau zero and a few others with it. ... looking for a pic..

tau-7747.JPG

herc-8214.JPG

first and second attempt with the fusion i've gotten better since. mostly due to better prep work

-Z

This has never happened to me (yet) but turning can upside down should stop the paint or primer from coming out (although gas will continue to flow and can will be useless afterwards).

yeap!
Had a can of Gloss Black stick on me a few years back. As others have mentioned pull the nozzle quickly may help. In my case it didn't, had to bury the spraying can in a trash can and get it outside while it died. It's an annoyance but doesn't happen all that often.
While it was a Krylon can, it was old formula.

I was using a mostly new can of Krylon primer today; it got stuck, and wouldn't stop spraying. I just had to set it out in the yard and let it de-gas. Has anyone had this happen, and if so how to you fix(or prevent) it? I hated to waste all that since it costs almost 4.00/can.

Solutions, beginning with the most unpopular:

1) Toss it over the fence into the neighbor's yard- it's his problem now.
2) Coax the neighbor's cat into your yard- cat's look great in "primer-gray"
3) Or you can simply wrap the can in a rag, tip the can upside down, and set it in an open, ventilated area till the gasses escape.

Back