Dupli-Color Mirage Paint Kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's been around a long time
I painted an RC car with mirage back in the early 90s.. it was kind of the cool thing for a while back than.. it works just as it shows in the photos.

My wife thought up a cool idea back when I was building my Dark Comet 3D 1st production kit. She came up with this right before halloween. "Why don't you go buy some costume confetti you know the sparkly stuff you put in your hair and put it on your rocket." Well I figured what the heck I"ll check it out. Found some at Walgreens and it was only a couple of bucks for a little bottle. What I did with it was poured a small amount on a plate and added it to my dry black paint job by rubbing it on with my finger till it was spread out consistantly. Started with it heavier at the nose and lighter as I went down the tube. I went half way down the rocket with it. Then went out to garage and shot a coat of clear over it. Came out very nice. Whats cool about it is its adjustable to any strength of sparkle you want any where you want to put it.

My wife thought up a cool idea back when I was building my Dark Comet 3D 1st production kit. She came up with this right before halloween. "Why don't you go buy some costume confetti you know the sparkly stuff you put in your hair and put it on your rocket." Well I figured what the heck I"ll check it out. Found some at Walgreens and it was only a couple of bucks for a little bottle. What I did with it was poured a small amount on a plate and added it to my dry black paint job by rubbing it on with my finger till it was spread out consistantly. Started with it heavier at the nose and lighter as I went down the tube. I went half way down the rocket with it. Then went out to garage and shot a coat of clear over it. Came out very nice. Whats cool about it is its adjustable to any strength of sparkle you want any where you want to put it.
Seems like that would take quite a few coats of clear to get smoothed out.

I've used it; it works best one larger surfaces, so I wouldn't recommend it on anything smaller than about a 3" airframe.

Also, unless you find it on sale/clearance, it's expensive.

-Kevin

I've used it; it works best one larger surfaces, so I wouldn't recommend it on anything smaller than about a 3" airframe.

Also, unless you find it on sale/clearance, it's expensive.

-Kevin

I found it on amazon for just under twenty bucks for the three can kit. I didn't think that was bad as long as it lives up to their claims.

I've used it several times and really like it. They say the more layers of color you put on the more reflectivity you get. So I usually order two kits. Kevin's right, it can be expensive. I get mine from the local O'Reilly's auto part store but Amazon has decent prices.

Not really the flakes are very fine and the stuff gets all over if your not careful.

I used Rustoleum's version. It recommended a black base, and it too said the more coats, the better. I was very pleased with the results.

Photo's don't do it much justice, but this paint is really cool up close and personal! Being all lacquer, it lays down smooth and dries fast. The entire job, with three separate components, took about an hour and a half. Great stuff.

PIC_1332.jpg

PIC_1333.jpg

PIC_1334.jpg

Has anyone ever tried them? I had been looking for a black metal flake paint when I came across it. Looks pretty nice.

29mm flogsausage.jpg
This is a scratch-built 29mm using green-purple paint. There's some black magic marker on the tip of the nose covering a patch job following a prang.

How long did you wait between coats?
Specically time between black base coat to color coats and between color coats and clear?

I have a Big bertha waiting for warmer weather that I would like to try this paint on.

I put three coats of each component on in ten minute intervals, with thirty minute intervals between components. I did it in about sixty degree temp with about forty percent humidity.

I was going to ask WHERE you did it. We've had warm temperatures, but I haven't had the guts to pull the airbrush out yet...

I put three coats of each component on in ten minute intervals, with thirty minute intervals between components. I did it in about sixty degree temp with about forty percent humidity.

I was going to ask WHERE you did it. We've had warm temperatures, but I haven't had the guts to pull the airbrush out yet...

I built a booth in my basement with a 1600 cfm furnace blower. My mailman probably thinks I'm running a meth-lab...:D

Do I need to use a special primer before applying? To date I've just used Rustoleum Painetrs Touch 2X primer, the stuff you get at Home Depot. Is this compatible with the lacquer paint or do I need to spray on a different primer first?

Do I need to use a special primer before applying? To date I've just used Rustoleum Painetrs Touch 2X primer, the stuff you get at Home Depot. Is this compatible with the lacquer paint or do I need to spray on a different primer first?

As long as it's completely dry, you should be fine. I applied the Mirage system as an afterthought, and it went right over the top of black Krylon primer. I don't know if there are any compatibility issues, as long as it's dry dry dry it should be ok. My project was primed roughly six weeks prior to finishing, it was dry.:D

If in doubt, do a paint test...

Spraying what you plan to use on posterboard first is cheap and easy. Having to sand the rocket down bare and start over is frustrating!

Later! OL JR :)

Back