Using wood filler for fin repairs?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacepirate R

Reaction score
A couple of my rockets landed on gravel and got some nicks and dents in their fins. I am thinking of using wood filler (FnF or similar) in repairing them. Has anyone tried this and how does it work?

Thank you.

A couple of my rockets landed on gravel and got some nicks and dents in their fins. I am thinking of using wood filler (FnF or similar) in repairing them. Has anyone tried this and how does it work?

Thank you.
It depends. For small nicks in the edges, it works fine. For bigger dents, I cut out the bad section and glue a new piece in place of it, then fill, sand, prime, etc.

Doug

Plastic wood (aka wood putty) is the stuff to use for this kind of repair. It does an excellent job, and the repaired area is often harder and more resistant to damage than the original wood. Press a blob of it into the nicked area, and then after it has fully dried or cured, sand it down to restore the original edge or surface.

The lightweight Carpenter's Wood Filler is OK for filling small holes, but I wouldn't use it to repair nicks in fin edges. It won't stick as well and won't be as hard and durable as plastic wood. For deep or large gouges and dents, I use Aeropoxy Light Filler, which is epoxy-based.

Last edited:
Back