Launch Pads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lolpez450

Reaction score
Dear Forum,

This is my first time coming to this forums and it seems to be a pretty awesome place!

Anyways just had a general question and hopefully this could answer some others people's questions as well.

Just built my first step-up rocket form all the basic models of Estes (Built practically all of em) and It's a Vulcanite rocket from Apogee Components, putting a G64-8W in this bad boy but then realized I don't have a Pad that can handle it!

Apogee offers a Gun Turret Rail System and it seems to be an awesome turret but I just don't have the dough to shell out 500$ for a pad!!

Anybody know of a pad that can handle a G or stronger motor (Maybe up to an I? If not no big deal) that won't break my bank so bad??

Any reply or info is greatly appreciated, also your technique or components used for sparking these big motors!

Thanks,
~Lolpez

Welcome to the forum! We are somewhat neighbors, just on the other side of Phoenix here in Goodyear. Most of the folks in my club build their own launch pads, I built mine using a steel saw horse and 2x4's:
030.jpg

If you want to see what is being used locally, come out to the next SSS launch in Rainbow valley. Here is a link to the SSS webpage:
https://www.sssrocketry.org/
It has a calendar showing when our launches are, and a map to the launch site. If you show up there, you are welcome to use my setup, which includes a 12v launch system that can light any igniter you have.

There are a ton of plans out there utilizing PVC for a pretty low cost as well as using metal if you are comfortable working with it and welding. One recommendation, no matter what you do, is to make sure that any pad you get is designed to support a rail rather than just a rod. For me personally, anything that I wouldn't on a 3/16 rod gets rail buttons.

Thanks so much for the helpful Links and advice guys!

Yeah I will definitely try and get out to an event sometime this month, I still need to get my class 1 (and class 2) certification so I can buy the bigger motors in Bulk!

And thanks for the advice on the rails, yeah I had no intention of putting little lugs on this guy, some badass rails for me please! Hahaha

Take Wayne up on his invitation and come out and see what everyone is using.
Lots of cool stuff. ARG is a good launch to attend at the end of Feb. Be sure to bring your Pirate Attire...

https://www.ahpra.org/arg05.htm

:D

Back