New Estes AP Motors - Now Up on Website (Sort Of)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregGleason

Reaction score
Finally, this is now up on the Estes website (I've been waiting for it for months).

https://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/pro-series/engines-1

attachment.php

The downside is that they are still shown as "Out of Stock", and they are a bit pricey. I hope that it is some sort of typo, but my guess is that the answer is "Yep, that's really the price".

attachment.php

Greg

New.Estes.Pro.Series.II.Motors.2012-01-19.sm.jpg

New.Estes.Pro.Series.II.Motors.Pricing.2012-01-19.jpg

Not sure how many they plan to sell at those prices. One Estes AP motor is a CTI PRO29 starter set.

Maybe they'll have a roar that'll shake the heavens....

Finally, this is now up on the Estes website (I've been waiting for it for months). <snip pics>
Ooh. Yecch. Looking at how they've done this, to incorporate the HAZMAT fees into the motor prices to prevent surprises when buyers get to checkout, only serves to make things worse. Folks will look at the astronomical prices, then look at the ridiculously worded discount statements and be truly confused. It looks like, if I buy enough motors, they're free, right? ;)

Instead of all this confusing math, why not simply show the suggested motor price and change the yellow boxed warnings to this much simpler statement?: These motors require a $25 per order HAZMAT fee (up to 20 motors per order). Buyers must be 18 years of age or older.

As it stands now, they might as well have said, "We don't want to sell these to anyone."

If they want to offer bulk discounts, then simply list a single piece price and a 3pc price (ala the Estes catalogs of the 60's/70's). Maybe throw in a statement that "additional volume discounts may be applied at checkout".

But this presentation of a stupidly high price followed by confusing albeit steep discounts is just asking for problems. It violates the KISS principle in multiple dimensions.

Doug

Yeah, that's a really odd and discouraging way to levy the shipping fee.

Best case scenario is $25 a motor.

The F27 has 28g of propellant. These motors can ship USPS.

The F50 has 33.6g of propellant. It must ship as HAZMAT.

It could benefit hobby shops in a backhand way. Even if a hobby shop charges SRP for the Estes F50 motor, it will still be cheaper than ordering it directly from Estes. It could cause hobby shops to carry some inventory of these motors if they get enough requests. :)

And worst case is $55 for a F motor. If you buy three, it's $165 with a $60 discount. It's still $105, or $35 per F motor. I can buy a 29/40-120 RMS and 4 or 5 reloads for that.

Hope they sell one.

Now if they were to sell them in a 24 bulk pack, and if HobbyLinc were to sell them at HobbyLinc prices..........;)

turned out okay. Hobbylinc still sells them cheaper.
Yes, we know that. But how many of the un-knowing will land on the Estes site, see the prices, say no thanks, and move on without pursuing it any further? It serves no useful purpose to be so out of alignment with the retail channels.

We all know they need to use MSRP, and that that will be a bit higher than many of their resellers will list. But the key is "a bit". Not astronomically higher. (It looks like Michael's pricing ;)).

In short, no doubt, some users will find this a major turn off. The only real argument we can carry on is how many/what percentage? A negligible few? How small a number is negligible?

Doug

And worst case is $55 for a F motor. If you buy three, it's $165 with a $60 discount. It's still $105, or $35 per F motor. I can buy a 29/40-120 RMS and 4 or 5 reloads for that.

Hope they sell one.

It is more likely that hobby shops will carry the Estes (Relabeled AeroTech) single-use F & G motors than will carry the AeroTech RMS system and reloads.

Estes is the 'name' in model rocketry.

plano-doug said:
We all know they need to use MSRP, and that that will be a bit higher than many of their resellers will list. But the key is "a bit". Not astronomically higher. (It looks like Michael's pricing ;))

Doug

So what it the retail price? I usually buy Estes motors at retail. I wait for the 30% off week at Hobby Lobby and stock up on BP motors. Is the shelf price on these things going to be outrageous? The hazmat fee affects a retailer very differently than mail order. Usually the effect is negligible. I only pay $11 for an AT reload at retail at the LHS!

This may be the most bone head pricing/marketing move I have seen in a while. Not a good strategy to try and break into a new market.

So what is the retail price?
Well, the AT F50 (same motor as the Estes F50) is available at Hobbylinc for $16.19 discounted, with an MSRP of 24.99. The Estes price (shown herein) was 55 bucks. Subtracting out 25 for HAZMAT, that leaves 30 dollars, which is in the ball park of the AT MSRP, but still a bit higher.

As Bob points out, since Estes is the recognized brand, they can command a higher price, so that explains the 5 dollar delta over the AT price; it makes sense...

Until you compare it with the hobbylinc price, then it's still crazy high - 30 vs 16.99 - even ignoring the $25 HAZMAT built into the price.

And with the HAZMAT included, it's just bad all-round bad marketing.

Doug

And with the HAZMAT included, it's just bad all-round bad marketing.

Estes BP E motors are the same way on the Estes website. I do not think Estes wants to sell these direct, but through resellers. The high prices scares people, but how many really buy from their site? Wait for Hobbylinc.

Nobody can accuse them of undercutting the reseller.

Well now I know what happened to the guy who raised the fees at Netflix; he went to work at Estes.

Holy crap! You can buy an F26 or F50 from Wildman for $14.99 any time. The $25.00 Hazmat gets spread over your whole motor order so it is WAY cheaper to buy them from Tim.

Could this oddity be something really simple and stupid, like Estes' web-store software being unable to deal with a separate Hazmat fee?

Ooh. Yecch. Looking at how they've done this, to incorporate the HAZMAT fees into the motor prices to prevent surprises when buyers get to checkout, only serves to make things worse. Folks will look at the astronomical prices, then look at the ridiculously worded discount statements and be truly confused. It looks like, if I buy enough motors, they're free, right? ;)

Instead of all this confusing math, why not simply show the suggested motor price and change the yellow boxed warnings to this much simpler statement?: These motors require a $25 per order HAZMAT fee (up to 20 motors per order). Buyers must be 18 years of age or older.

As it stands now, they might as well have said, "We don't want to sell these to anyone."

If they want to offer bulk discounts, then simply list a single piece price and a 3pc price (ala the Estes catalogs of the 60's/70's). Maybe throw in a statement that "additional volume discounts may be applied at checkout".

But this presentation of a stupidly high price followed by confusing albeit steep discounts is just asking for problems. It violates the KISS principle in multiple dimensions.

Doug

Maybe that is exactly what they had in mind.

For what it takes Estes to sell AP motors (read that as REsale AP motors because we KNOW they are not making them) they cant be making much on these
Remember having 29mm kits.. thats going to make them tons. and it's going to GROW THE HOBBY. its going to get more interest in high power etc. there is a TON of market for MID power and HIGH power rockets. estes wants a chunk of that. if you are going to sell kits you gotta offer the motors. and they KNOW they cant compete with the guys making AP motors, but they gotta offer them if your gonna make the kits, So just let the other AP guys make them. offer them at a loss or little profit and forget about trying to make anything on them..

Smart Move in my opinion.

Last edited:
if you are going to sell kits you gotta offer the motors. and they KNOW they cant compete with the guys making AP motors, but they gotta offer them if your gonna make the kits, So just let the other AP guys make them. offer them at a loss or little profit and forget about trying to make anything on them..

Smart Move in my opinion.
No. No one new to mid-power is going to buy the kit if they're turned off by the motor prices.Yes, you know where to get motors for less (as do most of us). But for the new customers this is aimed at, it has to be a turn off. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure, even if Estes paid retail prices for the F50's, that at 55 bucks, they're not selling them at a loss :)

Doug

Estes previous failures with a mid-power rocketry line were the result of bad management.

So nothing to do with forcing people to use their own line of AP motors that did not offer the variety or value of established AP lines?

So nothing to do with forcing people to use their own line of AP motors that did not offer the variety or value of established AP lines?
You're talking about the tight motor tubes which required some fiddling to allow use of the AT motors?

That's been denied. And I believed the explanation. While it seems plausible - no doubt there was some bad blood to support that - the story was posted on the web a few years back by one of the players. It came down to there being no real standard for the min/max ID of a 29mm motor tube.

IIRC, this really only affected the single-use AT motors. If the labels were peeled, supposedly they would fit. Similarly, I recall reading the 29mm reload case would fit as well.

When Estes ramped their production of the NCR birds, they changed the motor tube source, and that's where the problem started.

Anyway, I'm inclined to give Estes the benefit of the doubt on this aspect of the NCR deal.

Doug

Back