Painting tutorial #4

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffgeraci

Reaction score
I hope you'll all bear through this one. It's relatively short, but it's more important than you may think, and necessary. From this point on, I'll get more into the tricks of painting, which folks seem to enjoy more.

[YOUTUBE]0XNtnaX6D9w[/YOUTUBE]

Awesome and very important information! So, is a N95 suitable for sanding fiberglass? Looking at manufacture and OSHA and NIOSH documentation seems vague on the subject of how fine of particulates it's effective for. On the subject of safety, regarding chemicals I use that aren't garden store variety, I like to get the MSDS's, review them, and keep them in a binder in the shop. Just my 2 bits.

Last edited:
[POW]Eagle159;286280 said:
Is the necessary even if your spraying outside though?
I'd like to know opinions on this as well. I rarely smell the paint when working outside.

I've attached Krylon's MSDS for it's spray paint- pay special attention to section 8.

The more ventilation the better, but even the MSDS sheet says to avoid inhalation of any mist or vapors. Even if you can't smell it, you may still be exposed. FOLLOW THIS RULE REGARDING YOUR RESPIRATOR: When it doubt, break it out!

It's good that you're doing it outside, but i'd still wear mine- it's just as easy to use it than not.

View attachment MSDS.pdf

Unless you plan on always painting upwind of your rocket with sufficient wind to blow all the fumes away from you, use a decent respirator, and I'm not fond of silver buggers.

Regardless of the material being sprayed or location (indoors or outside) it's a very good idea to get in the habbit of wearing an approved respirator while Painting or sanding primers and paints. You'll thank yourself in later years;)

Unless you plan on always painting upwind of your rocket with sufficient wind to blow all the fumes away from you, use a decent respirator, and I'm not fond of silver buggers.

Before I paint anything I always make sure the wind is at my back. Even between strokes I always check the direction of the wind. I spray a little to be sure which way it's blowing.

I know some people in colder climates paint inside their garage, now I'm now big on that idea.

Back