ThunderStruck 2012 Registration Open (Indiana)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmbarlow

Reaction score
S1HAD.jpg

Tripoli Indiana is pleased to announce that registration is now open for our 3rd annual REGIONAL launch, ThunderStruck 2012 at Ash Grove, Indiana (near Lafayette). Launch will be Friday, March 30 (Research), Saturday, March 31 (Commercial) and Sunday, April 1 (Commercial). Waiver: Standing 16K MSL with windows to 22K MSL. All fliers (TRA & NAR, youth & adult) and vendors welcome. Cash & rocketry raffles, on-site vendors, food, & sanitary facilities. Drag races,Saturday NIGHT launch (Class 1), new Wilson F/X launch system, O-impulse capable field, 3 sq. miles of recovery area, no trees, creeks, or power lines - BEST launch field in the Midwest (with humble apologies to our friends at QCRS). See club website (https://www.indianarocketry.com) for more details.

Last edited:
We are planning on coming back down again this year.

(Hopefully Hankes has his hole fixed in the trailer!) ;)

Great field.

Still being worked out - probably 2, one Saturday, one Sunday. Daryl (Wildman KY) has already announced his -- see TS registration, Drag Race tab for more details.

my ds4dd is coming out awfully "heavy" should be interesting.

I plan on being there all three days. I plan on volunteering one day, flying one day, and walking around and BS'ing the third day........

As far as what I have planned to fly, I plan on flying half of an ultimate wildman on an I-1770 skidmark:)rolleyes:) as a "Benchmark" test of the deployment system for a later flight.

Manny

I plan on being there all three days. I plan on volunteering one day, flying one day, and walking around and BS'ing the third day........

As far as what I have planned to fly, I plan on flying half of an ultimate wildman on an I-1770 skidmark:)rolleyes:) as a "Benchmark" test of the deployment system for a later flight.

Manny

I-1770 ? :eyepop:

Manny

I hop you mean "Extreme", not "Ultimate".....An "I" in an ulltimate would only test the melting point of the blast deflector ;)

Last edited:
No, It's an ultimate, Tim just told me I can't fly M's..............

Manny

I hop you mean "Extreme", not "Ultimate".....An "I" in an ulltimate would only test the melting point of the blast deflector ;)

Ummm, yeah, if flying the whole stack..I think he mentioned only flying the bottom half? Just for fun did a sim on RS, bottom half of my Ultimate gets 2300' on an I540..:wink:

Yes, it is only the bottom half. It also has No centering rings, and No fin tabs. There is some extra weight from the 6 layers of Tip-to-Tip, but this motor should handle it as it isn't a "True" I.........

Manny

Ummm, yeah, if flying the whole stack..I think he mentioned only flying the bottom half? Just for fun did a sim on RS, bottom half of my Ultimate gets 2300' on an I540..:wink:

....ummm, NO. The Ultimate is 6" with a 98mm hole. I540 on my sim goes 200' .......am I missing something here????

Manny, help me out here.... this is just some sort of inside joke right?!!?!?

Tim just told me I can't fly M's..............

Manny

Patience, little grasshopper. The mentoring program is emerging from the transporter buffer. We’re waiting on pattern lock. (Sorry, I’m mixing bad TV metaphors.) Hang tight. Your cooperation will be rewarded. We all know that YOU cannot fly M's, but maybe you can assist your mentor in this endeavour. We wouldn't want you flying any "not true" motors.

I won't have to wait too much longer. Stay tuned, because after I get my L3 (A.I.R Fest), I'm going to shove a REALLY big motor in this rocket.....

Manny

"Tim just told me I can't fly M's."

Awww......@#$%, we NEED too talk here...You didn't try to use "youth and enthusiasm" too outwit the "older age and treachery" of the "Wildmeister"....did you?

Manny...Manny...MANNY!!! There are only a few select benefits too growing older.

1. A drivers license...You use yours for "getting around". I use mine too make a living.
2. Being able to vote...DO IT, your voice does count...plus you occasionally get "volunteered" for jury duty!
3. Legally smoking...I do it, if i ever catch you doing it...your going over my knee.
4. Legally drinking...Dont waste your time or money...For me it just "makes the anger become real."
5. Being legally able too b*nk a "Rocket Chick" of legal b*nking age.
6. Serve in your countries military...I did it...your going too college...if i have too come up there...duct tape you...throw you in the bed of the "Rusty rocket retriever"...and, truck you down to Purdue University's Admin Office...Your going to school for the next 8 years...until you have a Phd. in something...i don't care if its "Liberal Arts." Your going too be a "Smart Peoples."
Last but, not least...
7. Certify in high powered rocketry to fly Level 3 rockets...

See....Not much too worry about....so enjoy the time you have BEFORE life gets "hectic."

Now repeat after me...."I'm going too Thunderstruck 3 too have some fun, i'm not going too push the limit, nobody's going too get hurt..."

Good!:D

You do know that i'm going to go too AIRfest too see you get your level 3 cert. flight right?

That's right, i'm going to drive my happy little semi-truck all week long...get home on saturday afternoon...and, get a quick nap...Then i'm going to go out to the garage and start up the "Silver Bullet"...I'm going to drive that critter non-stop for 13 hours at "Mach 75" until i arrive in Argonia just too see you burn that AMW M2200 Skid that i've been saving for you, for quite some time...

Then after retrieval and a brief celebration on that glorious sunday....i'm going to go back to my car and pull out "Parallax".....Ooooohhh...and, like a hitman...i'm going too pin that animal together...and, you and i are going to point that thing skyward....

Team Public Enemy Aerospace and Manny are going too do what no one has ever been able too successfully accomplish yet....Fly a "Mongus 98" on a CTI N-5800 C-star...without turning it into "dust."

After this weekends club launch..."Parallax" is going back out too the shop...up on the jack stands...and, getting an overhaul...new coupler design and fin mods.

Thats right...Now that i have that "Cr*p from Colorado" out of my AV bay and, now MARSA's under the hood...things are going too get VERY interesting.

I can only be at Thunderstruck on sunday due too work, hunt me up...we'll talk...I'll be the guy wearing the day-glow vest that says..."El Presidante" with the bullseye painted on the back...just in case anyone wants too complain.:wink:

You do know....:rolleyes: that there are some 98mm L's out there....that "technically" could be considered a "baby M"?

NOW eat your vegetables young man!!!

Registered for all 3 days.
Now repeat after me...."I'm going too Thunderstruck 3 too have some fun, i'm not going too push the limit, nobody's going too get hurt..."

That's what it's all about:cool: I'm going to relax and enjoy...shoot the bull and help on the range a bit. Fly a few too I 'spose.

Looking forward to it!

-Eric-

Registered for all 3 days.

That's what it's all about:cool: I'm going to relax and enjoy...shoot the bull and help on the range a bit. Fly a few too I 'spose.

Looking forward to it!

-Eric-

Set up beside you at MWP9, I am now going to take your lead... Having everything prep'ed before I show up, don't clean anything until off the range, and just haul rocket after rocket out to the pads. :tongue:

Set up beside you at MWP9, I am now going to take your lead... Having everything prep'ed before I show up, don't clean anything until off the range, and just haul rocket after rocket out to the pads. :tongue:

Heck yeah brother! You can clean casings, take showers, eat food after range close. Open range= fire away:D In all honesty, I'm taking it slow at Thunderstruck...enjoying the people and atmosphere and planning a few less flights than I normally might.

-Eric-

That's how we roll......After seeing the artillery Eric put up at MWP9, I've already started planning for that one too.....This 4" rocket goes up on an N10k....This 5" rocket goes up on the AMW N4000......This 5.5" rocket goes up on the CTI N4100...This 6" rocket goes up on......:D
My god Eric you've created a monster in me!

I will also make sure there is a bucket of tomatoes up by the LCO table if your NOT 100% pleased with your Thunderstruck weekend.

That's how we roll......After seeing the artillery Eric put up at MWP9, I've already started planning for that one too.....This 4" rocket goes up on an N10k....This 5" rocket goes up on the AMW N4000......This 5.5" rocket goes up on the CTI N4100...This 6" rocket goes up on......:D
My god Eric you've created a monster in me!

I will also make sure there is a bucket of tomatoes up by the LCO table if your NOT 100% pleased with your Thunderstruck weekend.

The Gus: you are a madman; but don't you go blaming that on me, now! Better chop the top and tail off the Fiat; gonna need a lot more room for transporting all those hot birds to MWP in the fall.

Am I reading that right; El Presidente is working outside of, then working at T-struck, so no b*tchin flights from the Gus?

Started working on the WildmanKY drag racer today...should be interesting.

-Eric-

For me Eric, it will be a very busy weekend at work on Friday and Saturday.....I will drive up on Saturday afternoon to help in any way. I've also cancelled the N Skid drag race between Vic and i so that i can devote myself 100% to making sure you and all our guests enjoy every moment.....
We have a lot of club members and volunteers doing the very same too.
For one day at Airfest and three days at MWP10 though the safety "comes off".....
Click....click....THUNDER!!

I may try to make this one. I was looking for something to spend my tax return on. :)

Nick...we'd love too have you join us!:D Once you see the field, i think you'll be very impressed. One thing we've been real keen too is how QCRS, MDRA, Kloudbusters and, ROC-just to name a few.....have run their programs at their namesake launches.
This year all the construction, fabrication, planning, equipment updates and the wealth of volunteers at all levels absolutely amazes me.....We are just beginning to get the ball rolling and i'm confident that we will impress.
I have too also point out all the people who support us like Jim Fields and his family....the Gross family too....all the others who believe in us and, show up to make this dream a reality!
Just remember.....this is where the idea for the MWP9 Ultimate Wildman N-5800 drag race was hatched......If i remember it right...and, not to name...uh, names........

"The day gave way to night and, EVERYTHING was peacefull......suddenly there was smoke then fire.....and alcohol.....then EVIL...and international phone calls too other people partaking in alcohol....and plans.....and phone calls to Pennsylvania....then deals....followed by six months of labor and then triumph and defeat."

Who knows....you COULD be part of history too come.

What happens at the range, after sundown on saturday...stays at the range....:no:
UNLESS its frigg'in AWESOME!:rofl:

BEST MOMENT AT MWP9 for me......
Vic and i....two miles from the launch field at Princeton Illinois....looking for our drag rockets when TWO fire trucks.....with lights on come barreling at us...."We've had reports of a LARGE explosion in the area"

Ohhhhh.......there was an "explosion".....you might say!

All you have to do is read the thread and realize it's just plain silly to not make the trip to Thunderstruck. :D

These guys are great. Period.

I am going to talk to Dave and Larry this weekend about maybe bringing down a Michiana surprise..... It's a Longshot but you never know.... There's enough great support down there to possibly pull it off.

:wink:

All you have to do is read the thread and realize it's just plain silly to not make the trip to Thunderstruck. :D

That sums it up very well.:handshake:

I have a little over 20K N-s reserved for that weekend, and I probably won't even make the headlines...

Those attending Thunderstruck beware!!! :y:

Take a look at the latest launch participant from this weekend. Can you say, Mass murderer? Chainsaw massacre?

Just kiddin' :wink: Had to post it though... That's what makes this launch FUN, FUN, FUN!!!!

Tom_McFee.jpg

Back