ThunderStruck 2012 Registration Open (Indiana)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but can someone please explain the rules of the "Low and Slow" drag race?

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but can someone please explain the rules of the "Low and Slow" drag race?

It is buried on the Thunderstruck Competitions page, pertinent excerpt below:

The winner keeps their rocket as low as possible. The rules: 54mm motor mount, 4″ airframe, CTI Pro54 J360 Skidmark.

Two quick notes:

1) First a special announcement for hungry rocketeers. We cheeseheads will not only be bringing a few pounds of curds for Gusidente, we will bring plenty of cheese to share with Thunderstruck attendees....curd and string varieties. Please stop by the Cayemberg Camp for a snack! Look for a rediculous hawaiin shirt, tan Trailblazer, or the fastest carbon rocket in the land!

2) I've decided to fly the high power alphabet. I started looking at planned flights and determined that it covered the spectrum of motors (H-M). Sorry no N or O motors this time....I don't currently have any rockets ready that wouldn't break the waiver on an N, and the O will wait for MWP. Breaking the waiver is not an option!

Alphabet soup plans are:

H: Estes Pro Series II Argent drag race with Grimracer
I: Gateway to Heaven: my old L1 and L2 rocket returning the skies for the first time on research propellant...thanks Tripoli Indiana for the opportunity!
J: J360SK low n' slow drag race...this is gonna be good!
K: Gorilla K327WC that I've had loaded since Airfest 2010...prepped and ready in a min. dia. "CHAD 5465"
L: 5.5" rocket motors: Dad's "Wilson" on a Sconnie L425 Sparky and the new Magnum on an L700 Blue Baboon, with second flights if time permits.
M: CTI M3100 WT in the updated "Carbon Slipper", slated to hit Mach X.XX, stay below the waiver, and take home Gus's bowling trophy.

Lots of other flights pending, but wanted to represent each motor class with at least one flight.

Eat Cheese!:)

-Eric-

If you have never been located near the Cayemburg camp, you're missing something--it's like a rocket launch assembly line! I'm doing good to get 4 or 5 HPR flights off in two days; Eric does two to three times that!

Two quick notes:

1) First a special announcement for hungry rocketeers. We cheeseheads will not only be bringing a few pounds of curds for Gusidente, we will bring plenty of cheese to share with Thunderstruck attendees....curd and string varieties. Please stop by the Cayemberg Camp for a snack! Look for a rediculous hawaiin shirt, tan Trailblazer, or the fastest carbon rocket in the land!

2) I've decided to fly the high power alphabet. I started looking at planned flights and determined that it covered the spectrum of motors (H-M). Sorry no N or O motors this time....I don't currently have any rockets ready that wouldn't break the waiver on an N, and the O will wait for MWP. Breaking the waiver is not an option!

Alphabet soup plans are:

H: Estes Pro Series II Argent drag race with Grimracer
I: Gateway to Heaven: my old L1 and L2 rocket returning the skies for the first time on research propellant...thanks Tripoli Indiana for the opportunity!
J: J360SK low n' slow drag race...this is gonna be good!
K: Gorilla K327WC that I've had loaded since Airfest 2010...prepped and ready in a min. dia. "CHAD 5465"
L: 5.5" rocket motors: Dad's "Wilson" on a Sconnie L425 Sparky and the new Magnum on an L700 Blue Baboon, with second flights if time permits.
M: CTI M3100 WT in the updated "Carbon Slipper", slated to hit Mach X.XX, stay below the waiver, and take home Gus's bowling trophy.

Lots of other flights pending, but wanted to represent each motor class with at least one flight.

Eat Cheese!:)

-Eric-

Sweet, I love cheese! If I apologize to the shirt, maybe I can have some cheese??

Eric,

About 6 years ago I moved to IL.. from..you know it.. our good old Badger state. Do i miss it.. O YEA!

Grew up in a small town dead smack in the middle of the state. Only a few miles from Colby..

In steps my problem.. YOU CAN NOT GET A GOOD CURD here to save your A... Most of the people around here dont even know what they are.. lol

Just to smell them.. aha..

Just so you know. A buddy of mine from wis is coming to visit me durring the launch. He is not into Rockets but he is into just being a good bud.. we are going to have a blast..

I also have another bud that now lives in Canada. He to is from WI and MIGHT come and hang out too.. His name is Sqeaky.. NOT KIDDING..

O well.. Im just amped to get flying!

Grim

OK, pulled the trigger and added a ticket for Friday (along with 6 more raffle tickets & shirt for daughter.) Hotel reservation updated (Candlewood Suites in Lafayette).

Now I have to hope that my job assignment comes through to put me in the area, and that I can get some work done at the homestead. If the work isn't done, the chickens wont have a house, and the stealth mini-van may have problems stopping. If the job falls through, I've spent a lot of money (a lot for me anyway) for nothing.

The body tube order I wanted for THUNDERSTRUCK isn't going to be here in time:rant:!

I will still be there as a vendor with a little o' this and a little o' that. I will have some tubes avaliable on site, but nothing like I had wanted! I will have BT-60 tubes there tho (I ordered them earlier) and they will be avaliable at a buck each or $0.80 each for 10 or more. I hope y'all find a few bargains too!

The main goal is to hang out, work on a few projects, meet a bunch o' folks and eat cheese curds ( Eric, bring an extra pound of sharp, and extra pound o' mild- for the wife, and I'll pay ya there, okay????:D)

I will have a sign-up sheet for those who want to get on a mailing list. Hope to have a "BIG BT BLOWOUT SALE when they get here!

Evil Ed

I know its somewhere, just too lazy to look. Wheres the Hotel of choice? I can find the numbers from the website but it would be nice to be with a bunch of other rocket people.

Eric,

About 6 years ago I moved to IL.. from..you know it.. our good old Badger state. Do i miss it.. O YEA!

Grew up in a small town dead smack in the middle of the state. Only a few miles from Colby..

In steps my problem.. YOU CAN NOT GET A GOOD CURD here to save your A... Most of the people around here dont even know what they are.. lol

Just to smell them.. aha..

Just so you know. A buddy of mine from wis is coming to visit me durring the launch. He is not into Rockets but he is into just being a good bud.. we are going to have a blast..

I also have another bud that now lives in Canada. He to is from WI and MIGHT come and hang out too.. His name is Sqeaky.. NOT KIDDING..

O well.. Im just amped to get flying!

Grim

I moved down here from north central Wisconsin eighteen years ago and, like Grim i can attest that they have NO idea what Cheese Curds are.....
When they say "What?", i always say......Cheese in its natural state of being.
I swear i moved down too the deep south Eric.....they say Mam-ma, Pap-pa, Sissy and Gomer down here in Malfunction Junction Indiana.......
YOU have NO idea what bringing a couple of pounds of Wisconsin's finest across borders will do for some of us.:surprised:

Victor and i made the trip up too Wildman's in Van Orin today and picked up the trailer of spare equipment from our good friends at QCRS and, i can't thank them all enough...

If that big Dodge Diesel had wings.....technically it would have been flying.

This is shaping up to be the biggest and best event we have ever staged and, without the help and support of alot of great people......we couldn't do what we are doing.....

Thank-you all!

I know its somewhere, just too lazy to look. Wheres the Hotel of choice? I can find the numbers from the website but it would be nice to be with a bunch of other rocket people.

I know a few of us will be at the Econo Lodge 765-567-7100

I still have a LOT of work to do before this guy is ready for Thunderstruck, but I put it together for the first photo's:

IMG_8474.JPG

IMG_8476.JPG

IMG_8478.JPG

For perspective, that is an eight foot ladder in photo #3. Special thanks to Their, and Stickershock.

diameter: 11.5"
Height: 16 ft
weight: Approx 200 lbs fully loaded
motors: 3 Pro75 M2075 Smokey Sams ~ 20000 Ns total impulse

WOW! Alex, that is one hunk of a beautiful rocket!

This will be only my second major launch so pardon me if this already happens or has been considered in the past. Has anyone ever considered hiring a professional photographer to take pictures of all the flights during the weekend? He/she could sell them onsight and perhaps no fees for coming would be required, the photographer would make money selling the pictures?

I don't have the equipment or the know how of taking pics of any good quality. And most of us like to watch the flights, not be concerned about camera settings and angles and whether or not we'll actually get the pic of the rocket before, during and after liftoff etc.

Woah, that's a nice looking bird. Alex, I will be setting up Tue pad on Thursday so I will have all friday to help you prep and load this beautiful bird.

Manny

Wow; that's a huge bird...should produce a ton of smoky exhaust...sweet!

Ed: you're talking blocks, correct?

Looking forward to the long weekend with my rocket buddies! Although tiny, miniscule, barely visible compared to Alex's Harpoon, I just finished up one of Estes' latest offerings; to be drag raced with Grimracer's military styled Argent:

Mar006-1.jpg

T minus 4 days!:marshmallow:

-Eric-

BEAUTIFUL rocket Alex. Cannot wait to see it go! Looks like this will be a fun weekend!

Dennis

www.rocketsmagazine.com

WOW! Alex, that is one hunk of a beautiful rocket!

This will be only my second major launch so pardon me if this already happens or has been considered in the past. Has anyone ever considered hiring a professional photographer to take pictures of all the flights during the weekend? He/she could sell them onsight and perhaps no fees for coming would be required, the photographer would make money selling the pictures?

I don't have the equipment or the know how of taking pics of any good quality. And most of us like to watch the flights, not be concerned about camera settings and angles and whether or not we'll actually get the pic of the rocket before, during and after liftoff etc.

So, if my brother and his kids drive over from Fishers on Friday(spring break for grade school?). Do they have to pay just to watch?

To spectate is free......we also provide a bucket of Estes rockets and motors for the younger ones too fly.....also free.

Hey everyone,

I did the final update of the flyer's list tonight --it's in alphabetical order by first name at https://www.indianarocketry.org/thunderstruck/registered-flyers/ and also includes how many days you've registered for. We are putting together registration packets tomorrow; let me know if your name is spelled wrong or something and I'll update your badge.

Also, this year, we included a place for forum handles on the pre-registration form; part of the badge generation script called a QR code generator, so now you can make real friends on the range with the digital people you've been arguing with all year :grin: The QR code on your badge searches TRF for past posts you've made. If you aren't a fan, ask nicely and I can put a piece of tape over it.

Finally, there is still some corn debris in the field. We will be canvassing twelve pads with rakes to remove the excess burnable stuff; these will be the designated sparky pads for the launch.

We'll do range setup on Thursday, and see you bright and early Friday morning!

sampleBadge.png

TSRangeLayout.jpg

Hey everyone,

I did the final update of the flyer's list tonight --it's in alphabetical order by first name at https://www.indianarocketry.org/thunderstruck/registered-flyers/ and also includes how many days you've registered for. We are putting together registration packets tomorrow; let me know if your name is spelled wrong or something and I'll update your badge.

Also, this year, we included a place for forum handles on the pre-registration form; part of the badge generation script called a QR code generator, so now you can make real friends on the range with the digital people you've been arguing with all year :grin: The QR code on your badge searches TRF for past posts you've made. If you aren't a fan, ask nicely and I can put a piece of tape over it.

Finally, there is still some corn debris in the field. We will be canvassing twelve pads with rakes to remove the excess burnable stuff; these will be the designated sparky pads for the launch.

We'll do range setup on Thursday, and see you bright and early Friday morning!

Dave,

Thanks for all the hard work you guys have been doing. I think the name badge is a great idea. I always thought it would be nice to know TRF names at a launch.

Looking forward to a great weekend. See ya there.

Jason

I will have the following motors available at Thunderstruck.
Trying to raise cash for a tracker from Tim.
So see Tim or myself.
AMW M2200SK
AMW K-1000SK
AMW J370GG
AMW K670 GG
Also an RRC@ mini new in pkg.
Thanks
Chris
:dark:

I will have the following motors available at Thunderstruck.
Trying to raise cash for a tracker from Tim.
So see Tim or myself.
AMW M2200SK
AMW K-1000SK
AMW J370GG
AMW K670 GG
Also an RRC@ mini new in pkg.
Thanks
Chris
:dark:

BOING!:eyepop: I'm awake now!
Chris, lets talk about the M2200 Skidmark. I will be there from Sat. noon till close and all day Sunday.

Lets just say....i'm very interested.....

If a young man comes up to you named "Manny"...shoo him away and tell him to go back to his Taylor Swift scrapbooks....

Thanks for the heads up Jason, i was outside mowing and missed your call.....i'm trying to freshen up the place before good friends of the family (The Ballestero Clan) show up bringing "The Gonzo One" with them....

Manny.....if you need a place to stay over the weekend....you'll leave Uncle Gus alone on this one......Crystal?

If that K670 fits the 54-1400 case I'm interested.
I'll be getting there Friday morning.
How much?

Mike

Back