Fin fillets and glue bottle tips

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodRocket

Reaction score
I have two types of Elmers glue. The white glue all and the wood glue max. Both in 4 oz bottles.

The white glue has the standard twist top and the wood glue has a wide pull top.

I use the wood glue for the majority of the builds and it works great up until fillet time. The large tip of the bottle was the problem. Looking at both bottles the tips are the same size so, I swapped tips and what a difference.

The twist top on the wood glue bottle is the ticket. Nice even fillets and no more finger swipes to clean excess glue.

I mainly use the white glue when I want a little bit more work time, like sliding a coupler in a body tube. And the wood glue is used for everything else.

Simple fix for getting nice clean fillets.

See ya,
Rod

size of the tip isn't really a big deal if you apply carefully and tool the joint with your finger. the smaller tips does make it a little easier. I get double sided sticks of elmers wood glue, which are excellent. a little more pricey.

Yeah, I save all the bottle caps off my daughter's Elmer's school glue bottles-- she's a crafty lil thing and goes through plenty of glue... plus my wife sometimes has projects in her class and gets some near-empty or empty glue bottles when they're done... I have her bring them home instead of tossing them... then I recycle the twist-on/off small hole tip caps in place of the flat blade-hole type caps typically found on wood glue...

Works like a champ...

For REALLY precision placement of glue or small fillets on very small rockets or stuff like that, this tool is hard to beat... a kid's medicine measuring syringe with a Testor's tube cement "glue tip" snapped onto the end of the syringe... fits perfectly and works like a champ!
gluetool.jpg
OL JR :)

Back