JB QWIK Weld Strength for bonding tacking doen fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aris

Reaction score
I built a rocket about a month ago where for the fin tacking, I used JB qwik weld. I did not do any structural enhancing internal or external fillets. Instead I just used wood filler for external fillets. The rocket is 4" diameter and I believe is made from LOC body tubing. the mmt is 54mm, and I was wondering If in your opinion based on this info or not this type of rocket could handle up to a mid size k like a CTI K740 c-star.:confused:

I built a rocket about a month ago where for the fin tacking, I used JB qwik weld. I did not do any structural enhancing internal or external fillets. Instead I just used wood filler for external fillets. The rocket is 4" diameter and I believe is made from LOC body tubing. the mmt is 54mm, and I was wondering If in your opinion based on this info or not this type of rocket could handle up to a mid size k like a CTI K740 c-star.:confused:

What do you mean by "fin tacking"? If it is a through the wall design and you did internal fillets with JB, you should be OK. If you just used a little on the edge of the fin where it contacts the MMT and then used wood filler for an external fillet on the BT, I would expect the fins to hold up during flight, if you stay below .8 Mach, and two or more fins to pop loose on landing.

Based on your info I would definitely try something less aggressive before sticking the C star in it.

I would be just as worried about a hard hit when landing as I would the thrust problem with just wood filler for a fillet.

One way to find out.......fly it!

I'm sorry but it sounds like a shred going somewhere to happen. At the very least drill a couple of holes in the aft bulkhead and foam it.

Why not dremel out the wood filler and put in real fillets? a bit of a PIA but well worth the effort, especially if you want to fly C Stars.

Back