Perfectflite minialt/wd question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

english_1969

Reaction score
I purchased one of these used and seem to be having some trouble. Just curious if anyone has experienced the following:

1) In testing with LEDs for the eject charges, the altimeters starts up, then beeps out the expected beeps for battery charge and last flight altitude then it delivers a low set of long beeps continuously. When I boot it up and hook up the LEDs after it is booted up, it beeps the correct sequence reporting continuity on the main and drogue outputs.

2) When I hook up the computer interface, it just delivers a long beep and seems to be locked up.

Just curious if anyone has had anything similar.

W

The MAWD does not report battery voltage. Your long tone could mean low battery voltage. Try it with a new battery.

Every now and then, PerfectFlite altimeters emit some goofy tones. I haven't figured out any consistency. Try jumpering the outputs and powering it up with a new battery and see if it still acts up or gives normal 3 beep sequence after all the power-up data. A continuous tone if the battery is good can indicate a problem.

The documentation for the MAWD and the data transfer program are available here: https://perfectflite.com/Download.html

Getting the MAWD to chat with your computer can be a challenge at first. You have to do things in the correct order and picking the correct COM port has always been a challenge for me (of course, I'm a software guy. :)).

HTH, --Lance.

Last edited:
The MAWD does not report battery voltage. Your long tone could mean low battery voltage. Try it with a new battery.

Every now and then, PerfectFlite altimeters emit some goofy tones. I haven't figured out any consistency. Try jumpering the outputs and powering it up with a new battery and see if it still acts up or gives normal 3 beep sequence after all the power-up data. A continuous tone if the battery is good can indicate a problem.

The documentation for the MAWD and the data transfer program are available here: https://perfectflite.com/Download.html

Getting the MAWD to chat with your computer can be a challenge at first. You have to do things in the correct order and picking the correct COM port has always been a challenge for me (of course, I'm a software guy. :)).

HTH, --Lance.

I'm with Lance on this one. I think a low beep after all the data means low battery on the MAWD.. try a fresh battery see if that fixes it.

as for LED's for testing if you are JUST trying to see if it recognizes continuity any old jumper will work. a LED if it is orientated incorrect it might not work correctly. (thats just a guess though)

Couple of items:

1) Using new battery and just to be sure, used new out of the package, just purchased.

2) I'm using the LEDs to test using a vacuum chamber, as I've done with several other ALTs. Had to fiddle with the polarity to get it right.

This is sure making the missleworks, raven and adept22 look way too easy.

Thanks for the feedback...I think I've got a bum unit.

WE

Get a magnifying glass and check the solder joints -- make sure something hasn't come loose. I'd pay closest attention to the capacitor, as it's what is most likely to bust loose in a hard landing.

-Kevin

What are you using for an on/off switch? The long beep is low battery. I had an LED inside my on/off to incidate power. This was a drain on the battery and caused low voltage even with a new battery.

Try just the jumper on the on/off (always on) that it somes with. Reduce an unnessecary wiring.

I think in the computer testing interface, there is a setting for the min voltage as well.

I borrowed a 2nd MAWD from a buddy and swapped it in my ebay. Same issue, so I knew it was my wiring. The switch was the last option I had remaining to check.

I am jumpering the on/off directly.

What is weird is that when I power it up without the LEDs connected and then connect LEDs, it seems to behave properly.

I am jumpering the on/off directly.

What is weird is that when I power it up without the LEDs connected and then connect LEDs, it seems to behave properly.

That is wierd. I assume the LEDs are not lit except for a brief blip when firing the deployment events. If they are lit all the time, they draw a lot of current giving a false low battery on startup.

Well, the LEDs are a bit brighter than what they should be.

When I used these same LEDs on the raven or missleworks, they have a very slight glow while in normal mode and then light up brightly when the alt fires them.

Hmmm, maybe this ALT is not happy with these LEDs.

Sounds like it. A single LED being lit continually killed mine. If you can swap it with another of the same model, you can rule out the altimeter being bad. That was what I did. Then removed everything I could until I found the electronics that 'broke' it.

I do not know how bad or damaging this is, but I used 2 9V batteries in series as a test and it seemed to work fine. One and it was a solid tone (low battery). They were new batteries, so I don't think that was the issue. Otherwise, maybe a different type of battery than a standard 9V. Can't advise you on what will not hurt anything.

Good luck!

Back