LEGO Saturn

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be slick to have custom Lego printed chutes!
Even slicker with a block print instead of Advertising Lego with a Logo (lego my eggo?)

Way cool! But the term "too much time on his hands" comes to mind...

So how does one become a LEGO Certified Professional? Do you start out at the junior assistant level? Do you have to fly a smaller scale Saturn V on an H motor to get certified? I wonder how well being a LEGO Certified Professional pays?

Adrian

So how does one become a LEGO Certified Professional? Do you start out at the junior assistant level? Do you have to fly a smaller scale Saturn V on an H motor to get certified? I wonder how well being a LEGO Certified Professional pays?

Adrian

Considering the cost of LEGO's, I'd guess it's not a bad gig.

Would indeed be cool to see this thing fly but it would need to hold up to the N or O that would need to power it. 120,000 bricks at 2.5g/brick comes out to around 661 pounds.

The roll patterns are wrong.

Any google search for "Apollo 11" will give you a zillion pics of the right paint pattern, so there's really no excuse for getting it wrong.

And of course, it's a really really crappy "scale model" because the shapes and proportions are all wrong, and of course the real Saturn V did not have big plastic ridges running up and down the length of the airframe.

I have a very mixed view of Lego's. Like most kids I screwed around with them for a while as a kid and then quit. (When I was about 6-7 years old.)

Now I have a nephew who is 12 who is really really into them. (Much more than rocketry.)

The Lego sets are pretty much the boys' equivalent of Barbie dolls in that you can keep ordering more and more and more accessories "Sold Separately At A Nominal Price." Guess what, the prices ain't that nominal.

They do promote creativity, but only up to a certain point -- if you want or need specific color, sized, or shaped parts, you cannot fabricate them -- unless you have a full-fledged plastic molding plant in your basement, your only option is to order them from Lego. At A Nominal Price.

They're better than the kids doing drugs on the street, but basically IMO it's a big racket.

Last edited:
I can sympathize as I too loved Legos as a kid. I fondly remember saving up forever for the Lego train set (around $75 1987 dollars). They are indeed priced ridiculously high for what they are. My daughter now plays with them and finds all kinds of sets that she wants but that I can't bring myself to spend the money on as overpriced as they are.

This thread did inspire me to see what Lego rocket kits were out there. I found 1. The SpongeBob Rocket. The kit retailed for around $29 (overpriced as-is if you ask me) and is now out of production commanding just shy of $150 on the two sites that Google Shopper shows having it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WO1QL6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 This sent me back looking for pics of the rocket from the show and I think that my daughters and I may have a BT-80 scratch project out of this if I can come up with a stable design for it in OpenRocket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not Lego, But I found these new nano blocks recently at my local game store. I was tempted.

-Z

IMG_1494.jpg

Back