OpenRocket on Android - poll

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sampo

Reaction score
Hi,

There's been several requests for a mobile version of OpenRocket. Behind the scenes, Kevin Ruland has been doing some amazing progress on cleaning up the OpenRocket code and making it run as an Android application.

Now we'd like to ask some input from the crowd that would actually be using it. Above all we're interested in two things:

1. What kind of device would you be running OR on? A mobile phone, a small tablet, a large tablet? Would you have a network connection available when using OR?
  2. What features would you be most interested in in a mobile version of OR?

Just to be clear, this is a major uptake and we make no promises on when it will be ready/usable. And not to raise too many expectations, the first versions will likely be very limited in functionality.

Before anyone asks it, OR is unlikely to be ported to other mobile platforms anytime soon. Porting to Android is significantly easier than any other platforms since it is natively coded in Java. Other platforms would require major rewriting of the code.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

I have an Android phone with a fairly small screen. I have a hard time seeing it working well on phones like mine, as the resolution is only 320x480. However, my Mom has a Kindle Fire, which has similar pixel density to my laptop. In its current state, the UI could be ported almost directly to both small and large tablets. Also, the feature I would most like to see in future versions would definitely be tube fins. Other things would be nice, but tube fins are a feature that is needed for the simulation of many models. Finally, I am a self-taught Java developer, but I don't have tons of free time to work on programming anything but my own projects. Is there a list of tiny tasks that need to be done anywhere? The TODO list is made up mostly of larger things that are almost whole projects in themselves. Thanks!

Hi,

A bit more info:

Android uses a completely different system for the user interface, which means that the UI will need to be completely rewritten. Also since most mobile devices are touch devices, the new UI should be aimed for those.

We're also assuming that the main part of rocket design will still be done on a PC, and phones/tablets are mainly used e.g. for simulating in the field. The UI will therefore be rather task-oriented, and more limited than the normal UI. The first release will probably just allow you to view data of an existing ORK file, later versions maybe view the design and simulate flights.

As a basis of discussion, how important do you find for example the following: viewing design data, viewing a diagram of the rocket, running existing simulations, defining new simulations, browsing motors, defining new motor configurations, editing the components/design, performing component analysis, etc?

Cheers,
Sampo N.

Hi,
As a basis of discussion, how important do you find for example the following: viewing design data, viewing a diagram of the rocket, running existing simulations, defining new simulations, browsing motors, defining new motor configurations, editing the components/design, performing component analysis, etc?
I use pRASP on a Palm in the field. It allows me to define the rocket diameter, weight, and CD and pick a motor from the database, then computes the altitude, delay, speed off the rail, etc. That's a good start at what I need in the field -- I use this not only for my own rockets but when I RSO.

The one thing I've wanted to do that pRASP can't is determine CP. If I had preloaded design files for most common rockets then I wouldn't need to do any design work in the field, and that seems like a reasonable compromise.

I would much prefer to work on a phone rather than a tablet personally.

This is awesome to hear... I would certainly use it quite a bit if available both on my phone (Gingerbread Verizon/HTC ROM) as well as when I finally pick up a tablet one day. A ChromeOS version would be nice but it sadly doesn't support Java apps and I doubt that there are too many others using it.

The main feature that I see of value, for me at least, would be the ability to run existing simulations and define additional motors / tweak delays for new simulations. This would make picking up new motors at a launch much easier.

This'd be GREAT!

Especially to show CP/CG to tech officials as well as doing sims with different motors!

Motorola Bionic

I would love it. I really enjoy my new Motorola Droid. I didn't know what I was missing with my old Blackberry.

I'm all for it
Droid Incredible /gingerbread.
probably will update soon but sticking with android

Very generally...

Run it through Phone Gap and publish it for everything, if it doesn't cost and arm and a leg.

I am probably in the minority here but I'll throw in my opinion. I like OpenRocket on my desktop or laptop. I do bring my laptop to the field when flying. I can't imagine using it on a tiny phone screen. My opinion is , it would not be worth the trouble to port it to Android. However... Win8 and enhanced support for touch screens is already in the pipeline for desktop/laptop systems - if that makes any difference.

I would say for phone sized devices, keep it to simulation only of ORK files built on another device. The only things you should change on a phone would be the motors, and simulation input parameters (wind, launch rod length, etc). Maybe the parachute size/CG with nose weight. You really shouldn't be trying to design in the field...merely adjusting parameters to fit conditions that day. A diagram of the rocket (to show CG/CP) is nice but not essential.

I would also argue that for a typical touch screen tablet type device, that trying to design on such a thing is counter productive. Small tablets (10 inch or so) are great content consumption devices, but are not so great at creating detailed content. Touch screens are still not as precise as a mouse and keyboard, and there just isn't enough screen real estate.

If you were going to do a tablet version, I wouldn't add much more than I already talked about for the phone device (if anything really)...maybe a 3-D plot that could be rotated, but that's just icing.

FC

Last edited:
I agree with what others said above, that it probably wouldn't need to be full functionality, as i'd imagine most people would use it at the launch site, and designing isn't something you normally do there. Launch conditions and motors would be good inputs, altitude and CP/CG estimate would be good outputs. I'd see it as a real value if I needed to get a motor from a vendor and I would like to sim the flight, without bringing my laptop to the launch site. Otherwise, I'll probably stick to using openrocket on my computer.

Interesting idea. I have an iPhone 4, which is currently out of scope here. But I take an Acer netbook to the field with me, especially for launches out of town, so I already have fully functional OR with me at the field. I recently upgraded to an 11 inch one (AspireOne722) so there's plenty of screen real-estate.

I'm still trying to figure out why I would also want a tablet device....but that's a discussion for another time.

The one thing I've wanted to do that pRASP can't is determine CP. If I had preloaded design files for most common rockets then I wouldn't need to do any design work in the field, and that seems like a reasonable compromise.

I would much prefer to work on a phone rather than a tablet personally.

I have to second what Mike is saying. Two things that I tend to want to know in the field are delay on a familiar design but unknown motor and CP on an unfamiliar design.

The trick is how to get your rocket design files onto your phone.

That shouldn't be a problem. Connect directly to your computer and copy them to the memory card or email them to yourself and save the file on your phone to the memory card.

Which introduces one of the few must have requirements for an Android app: It must be able to read/write to the memory card.

I have to second what Mike is saying. Two things that I tend to want to know in the field are delay on a familiar design but unknown motor and CP on an unfamiliar design.

The trick is how to get your rocket design files onto your phone.

It seems that making the program available on more platforms would be an advantage. I don't know about doing much with it on a smartphone, but a tablet could be useful.

However I would like to see some effort stay focused on creating user manuals so that those of us late to this party can at least have a hope of running the program on our PC's.

Samsung Stratosphere

On the field, data connections can be had, but can be less than reliable - I'd rather not have to rely on it.

I'd like to be able to upload ork files ahead of time to the memory card, and do sims on the field (altitude, max velocity, speed off rail, possibly optimal delay):
view or rerun saved sims
browse/select different motors
be able to override total weight

Since the screen is small, I' place a low priority on stuff that I use OR for on my PC: viewing design data, viewing a diagram of the rocket, editing the components/design, performing component analysis, etc..

I would run it on a phone. I would like to have the program work when I am at a launch and I don't want to drag around a tablet.

As far as features, I personally only need what is in iPowerRocket but for me, it needs to be on Android.

What I like about iPowerRocket:
- Database that holds designs
- Only have to enter in basic information to get a sim
- Database of motors
- Calculates and displays Altitude and required delay time

Good luck to you on this project. It sounds like a big one!

i'd probably use it while in class to be honest. This would be a great asset to everybody who doesn't want to guess their timings and such :)

I would use it in a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Would it be possible to make it so that instead of going into the program and opening the file, you could tap on the file, and it would automatically open? (Like how word opens when you tap a word file and displays the file)

If it had that capability, you could simply e-mail the file to yourself and tap the attachment to bring your design up. I would download it. Honestly, I have to wonder how many times I would actually use it though. I can't think of a time when I've been in the field and thought that I needed access to open rocket. I have been bored at the Dr.s office though and the thought crossed my mind that it would be nice to have rocket design software on my tablet.

Hi,
We're also assuming that the main part of rocket design will still be done on a PC, and phones/tablets are mainly used e.g. for simulating in the field. The UI will therefore be rather task-oriented, and more limited than the normal UI. The first release will probably just allow you to view data of an existing ORK file, later versions maybe view the design and simulate flights.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

I use my htc Inspire for so many things, I would love to be able to use it in the field while launching rockets.

Important: Running and modifing existing and new sims, browsing motors and defining new motor configurations.

Not so Important: Viewing design data or rocket diagram.

When in the field I'm not going to be changing the design of my rocket but want to know what delay to use and how it will fly under specific conditions.

Issues: How would rocket designs and sims be downloadable? Internet is usually slow working out in the field.

Hi everyone.

Since Sampo made this thread, I've been watching to see people would say. I expected the primary use for this application on phones/tablets would be to support motor selection for existing models.

There are some wonderful suggestions in this thread for features which I hope will make it back into OpenRocket proper - particularly the computation of flight data for specific events such as velocity at launch rod clearance, velocity at recovery deployment, etc. These numbers are hidden in the current data and not presented explicitly to the user.

The first functionality targeted for Android is to support parsing of existing OpenRocket files with graphical presentation of simulation data stored in it. This is really not very useful on the field but honestly it does represent quite a bit of programming work to prepare the application for delivery on the Android platform. Since OpenRocket predated Android, it is not surprising that Sampo relied on support from the libraries available on the desktop but not Android.

The second step in the development will be to allow execution of simulations with new motor configurations and different launch conditions. This represents another major milestone in the development. Would access to current weather conditions (networking assumed) be useful?

Since many HP launches are in the middle of nowhere, network access would be very sketchy. Users will just have to pack their 'Droid (how I dislike that term) with all their models and anticipated motors while connected to a reliable network before traveling. The most reliable way I have found to do this is to store the ORK files on the SD card - either by transferring directly from a pc (using a cable, or pulling the SD card) or sending from email and saving the attachment to a file on the device. Some people have asked for the ability to 'click' on attachments in the email client and have OR kick off automatically. Due to many reasons completely outside anybody's control, this will never work correctly. (If you are a computer nerd and want details, I'd be happy to share..)

One final note - I am currently targeting Android 2.3 (aka Gingerbread). There are a couple of APIs used by the core code which are not available on the 2.2 platform.

Kevin Ruland

Motorola Atrix
Android 2.3.4

Willing to assist with Beta testing!

I'll chime in with another vote for The Kindle Fire. I agree that limiting functions to Motor Secection, Field Conditions and Sim would be the way to go. The size of the smart pads are a nice compromise between a phone and a laptop. This would realy make dialing in a flight at the field more practicle. Very stoked to see how this progresses.

Back