OpenRocket on Android - poll

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drag my laptop with my RockSim 9 everywhere. My girlfriend is a bit jealous of it.

iOS please Sampo! OR on the iPad would be awesome. You could even make some money off of it in the store if you chose to. I know I would pay for it.

Hi,

FWIW, Oracle/Sun is working on a Java compiler for iOS that will product native (and thus compliant) iOS binaries. Java on the iPad has been publicly demoed, as well!

While certainly promising, according to the article it's still based on Java ME, which technology-wise is prehistoric. I took a look a few years ago, and decided it's just too much work to make OR run on Java ME. Hopefully they'll up it at some point to bring newer Java features in.

The first Android release is merging up nicely. It will only have support for opening files, investigating motors and graphing pre-run simulations, not running simulations itself, but it's a promising starting point.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

Have gingerbread running, next gen of phones are going to be much better than what we all consider smart phones today.

As for OR on my phone. 100% yes !!!

To be able to take my file, put it on my phone, then in the field being able to enter temp, wind speed, direction, motor choice.. YESSSSSS

Could you make the exported file overlay onto google earth? talk about a built in rocket retriever.. Instead of searching a 100x100 grid.... youd only have to search a 10x10 grid. Add in streaming data from the weather service (weatherbug) and you instantally have a killer app thats accurate to real time launch/data conditions.

and your making it mobile ?
(she wants the app)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZluzt3H6tk

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I know this is a bit more "out there", but here's what I'd love to see in a rocket simulation tool on a portable android/tablet platform....

1) The portable device knows my GPS location, so I'd like it to contact a weather database and pull up the current windspeed and direction where I am currently located (at the launch site) - even better if it can pull out data of windspeed variation vs elevation at my current location (if that data even exists) Use this current wind data at the site to re-run the OR analysis - and use the results of the OR analysis to predict the GPS coordinates where the rocket should land, providing it in GPS as well as compass heading and distance from the launch pad.

2) There is an iPad application you can take outside and point at the night sky to "see" the constellations. I'd like a similar app on my OR equipped android phone where I go to the launch pad, and click a button so OR "knows" the GPS coords of my launch pad, then I walk 100 or so feet in any direction and hit another button to record my observation location GPS coordinates. Now my buddy launches the rocket and I use the android as a "sighting tool" (maybe using the camera on the device?) to track the rocket during the "up" portion up to apogee. The android now knows the angle of inclination from my observation post to apogee so it should be able to estimate my altitude at apogee (using old school trigonometry). The android would also note the angle left or right of vertical that the rocket when at apogee too so it could compare the actual location of apogee in 3D relative to the launch pad including the wind effects from #1 above.

3) Best of all, if OR did #1 and #2 above and then back-compared the analysis result to the actual result, it could make an improved estimate of the wind speeds, wind direction and Cd and then use these for the next flight.

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME !

(just sayin')
-Kerry

Last edited:
I know this is a bit more "out there", but here's what I'd love to see in a rocket simulation tool on a portable android/tablet platform....

1) The portable device knows my GPS location, so I'd like it to contact a weather database and pull up the current windspeed and direction where I am currently located (at the launch site) - even better if it can pull out data of windspeed variation vs elevation at my current location (if that data even exists) Use the current wind data in the simulation I am running now - and use the results of the OR analysis to predict the GPS coordinates where the rocket should launch and provide it in GPS as well as compass heading and distance from the launch pad.

2) There is an iPad application you can take outside and point at the night sky to "see" the constellations. I'd like a similar app on my OR equipped android phone where I go to the launch pad, and click a button so OR "knows" the GPS coords of my launch pad, then I walk 100 or so feet in any direction and hit another button to record my observation post GPS coordinates. Now my buddy launches the rocket and I use the android as a "sighting tool" (maybe using the camera on the device?) to track the rocket during the "up" portion up to apogee. The android now knows the angle of inclination from my observation post to apogee so it should be able to estimate my altitude at apogee (using old school trigonometry). The android would also note the angle left or right of vertical that the rocket when at apogee too so it could compare the actual location of apogee in 3D relative to the launch pad including the wind effects from #1 above.

3) Best of all, if OR did #1 and #2 above and then back-compared the analysis result to the actual result, it could make an improved estimate of the wind speeds, wind direction and Cd and then use these for the next flight.

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME !

(just sayin')
-Kerry

If it does 1) and 2) it would be logical to add coordinates of the landing site, where you find your rocket. This information can be used for tuning the wind model or for the rocket recovery system parameters.

I tried to use my phone to record flights and found that due to the screen glare and relatively low quality its extremely difficult or practically impossible to keep a rocket in sight. I don't have a pad though. Its bigger screen can help the observation.

In reality, Kerry's suggestion of using the GPS to pull weather data appears to have merit. Since the sim is using lat/long, altitude, and wind speed it shouldn't be too hard to auto-populate those variables from the GPS and then pull the wind speed from an online source (assuming that is easy to compute and free to poll).

Want to take a picture of my rocket, enter in diameter, cg and estimated weight and have it suggest engines and or suggested delay.

Need something like aCar for my rockets - want mobile , cumulative flight card data. If you want to get fancy have the profile and recorded flight that can be uploaded to a blog or rocket review (with pics and video) without having to put the PC in the middle .

Kenny

Old thread, but wanted to pipe in that OR on ICS works great in tablet format so far (HP Touchpad running ICS through CynogenMod). Looking forward to future developments.

FC

Old thread, but wanted to pipe in that OR on ICS works great in tablet format so far (HP Touchpad running ICS through CynogenMod). Looking forward to future developments.

FC

Hey Cargo!

Was there anything unique or troublesome about installing on your ICS tablet?

Installation:

1. Go to Settings → Applications and check Unknown sources.
  2. Download OpenRocket-Android-12.03.apk on your device and accept installation.

This worked fine on my Motorola Bionic, but there doesn't seem to be any Settings => Applications => Unknown Sources on my ASUS Transformer Prime running ICS...

Hi Fast Cargo. Thanks for the nice words. I worked pretty hard on the tablet version. I think the tablet is definitely the better platform just because the screen is much bigger.

My only goal for the next release is to allow new simulations to be executed. It's a pretty low bar but I think it will mark a significant improvement in usability.

Kevin

FC

Jeff,

Spend a little time poking about the settings - look for something with "developer" or "untrusted applications". I'll fire up an ICS Tab at work tomorrow and see if I can find the magic combination.

Kevin

Hey Cargo!

Was there anything unique or troublesome about installing on your ICS tablet?

Installation:

1. Go to Settings → Applications and check Unknown sources.
  2. Download OpenRocket-Android-12.03.apk on your device and accept installation.

This worked fine on my Motorola Bionic, but there doesn't seem to be any Settings => Applications => Unknown Sources on my ASUS Transformer Prime running ICS...

Hi Fast Cargo. Thanks for the nice words. I worked pretty hard on the tablet version. I think the tablet is definitely the better platform just because the screen is much bigger.

My only goal for the next release is to allow new simulations to be executed. It's a pretty low bar but I think it will mark a significant improvement in usability.

Kevin
D'oh! I just remembered about our conversation. I have been REALLY busy with school for the past month. Things are starting to quiet down, at which point I will be able to test for you more regularly.

Jeff,

Spend a little time poking about the settings - look for something with "developer" or "untrusted applications". I'll fire up an ICS Tab at work tomorrow and see if I can find the magic combination.

Kevin

Will do, Kevin :wink:

And...many thanks for all your work on this! It is a very valuable tool and prime for its time :cheers:

I went to Settings - Personal - Security to find the 'Unknown Sources' toggle.

Worked like a champ after that...and restored the toggle after the install. Still new to this whole Android thing...but it worked great!

FC

Has anyone successfully run Open Rocket on an Amazon Kindle Fire? I have side loaded chrome-google and Java, but can't figure out if it is possible. Anyone know?

I really doubt I would ever use it for design on an android. A phone/tablet is just too small and the mouse is too efficient and effective on the PC with it's bigger monitor to bother doing design on a touch screen handheld.

With that said, if an include library of commercial kits was available with weight, diameter, Cd and Cp included like motor files and of course the motor files, all downloadable to the device so it could be used for simulations in the field without cell service, that would be something I would definitely want to use. Also if you can import designs as file transfers from a PC to the device. That wouldn't have to be a function of the android program, it would just need to be able to find and register the design file so you could run sims with it. Same thing with .eng files for ex motors. Someway of registering them for use in sims.

If you search a bit you can find dual boot tablets out there. I picked up two of them a couple of years ago that were dual boot Android/Winblows and
had onboard GPS chipsets. Supposedly had room for a Data Sim for a cell connection but weren't compatible in my area for that. Winblows side didn't
recognize the GPS chipset without a couple of utilities added but got it to work. Android side with GPS Rocket locator did fine.

Nexus 7 2013 LTE with a FreedomPop Sim can give me data in the field if I want it and a VOIP/SIP voice cell phone using the data on the account.

Ultimate would be a dual boot tablet that can run as a true cell phone with a phone/data sim and have an onboard GPS chipset. Afraid there isn't one out there
yet.

I do find that Rocksim/OR/Burnsim all work fine on the Windows side of the tablets but one has to shade the screens from the sun to be able to see them. Kurt

Back