A yet unamed Scratch Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicroFlyer

Reaction score
While working on my Mark downscale project, I found myself sketching some random fin designs. I liked one so much, I built a prototype. This rocket consists of:

-Main body of T2+ tubing, with a T2 coupler holding the upper and lower body together (ASP kit style)
-Hand turned nosecone
-Fins inspired by my Centuri Screaming Eagle (currently sitting on my work table)
-Launch lugs made of a coffee stir stick wrapped in a single layer of masking tape
-Kevlar thread shock cord with a mylar Christmas ribbon streamer

It's painted "Glow Orange" and black for viability during testing.

I gave it its maiden flight today, flew perfectly straight way out of sight and drifted down slowly before landing close to the pad.

I'm not normally a scratch builder, and my skills with these things are less than wonderful. But I was really happy the way this one one turned out. The best part? Total parts cost for this build came in less than 50 cents!

Sorry for the poor picture, this was my last minute "Better take a pic of this in case I never see it again" shot....

IMG_20120108_154344.jpg

Hooray! It is soooo refreshing to see a micro scratch design. As you pointed out, it is quite inexpensive to build these little birds, so they make experimentation quite cheap! I'm glad to see a micro that is not a downscale (not that downscales aren't cool, but it seems to be the majority of what people do)

Nice!
I'm into the idea of scratch building, but I'm still in my initiaal dabble phase.

Latest posts

Back