Magnum Hornet & Hornet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dugliss

Reaction score
I started on my Magnum Hornet yesterday and I'm sharing my method of fin installation and alignment. My method is about as simple as you can get; I don't use any kind of jig or alignment tool, I simply mark the fin locations on the BT, apply glue, place the fins on the marks, and then adjust angles and alignment by sighting down the length of the BT under the light keeping one eye closed. It sometimes takes me 30 to 45 minutes before I'm satisfied with the job, so it requires patience. As you can see in the pics, I do use visual aids as reference points, but the end result still stems from what is essentially a judgement call. I use Elmer's wood glue, which dries slowly, so it is important to stand the BT vertically so the fins don't tip as the glue sets. So far, after using this method on 16 rockets, I've not had any bad flight characteristics such as spinning, corkscrewing or unstable flights. I do have the Estes marking tool #302227 that has a fin installation/alignment feature, but I found my method more reliable and easier for me. It may not work for everyone, and larger rockets with very large fins will reguire a jig.
I was out of this hobby for a long time, and I find it interesting that both Estes and Semroc are marketing essentially the same rocket. The Magnum Hornet was originally sold by Centuri after that company was sold to Damon Industries. Centuri and Estes had the same parent company, so the MH parts were manufactured by Estes. Estes currently sells the Hornet as part of their "Classic Series", and Semroc sells it as a "Retro-Repro". I see very little difference in these 2 kits. One is that Semroc lets you install 24mm engines with an adapter so you can launch it on 18mm engines. Estes only lets you use 18mm engines. Then there is the one word difference in the name. So does that create a legal loophole that lets both manufacturers market the same product? No copyright? Public Domain? Wuhthe?:shock:

Douglas

P1080010.jpg

P1080011.jpg

P1080012.jpg

I glad to see that somebody else uses the "eyeball" fin alignment technique - I've always done OK with it. I've noticed that 4-fin rockets show fin misalignment more than 3-fin ones, but everything I've built so far flies fine.

I, too, built both the Estes and Semroc Hornets last summer. Something about that yellow and black scheme is just right. The Estes bird had a bunch of flights on it, but I haven't flown the Semroc for some reason.

The Semroc and Estes versions have differences. They must be just enough for Estes not to have the Semroc version taken off the shelf. The Semroc version (which I have) does come with the original size motor mount but does away with the original streamer in place of a 12" parachute. The Estes come with 18mm motor mount only. Also the Estes uses the original Centuri style decal. The Semroc version is more generic.

This was a "must have" rocket for me, and and both companies do sell quality product, but it was the D engine mount on the Semroc model that pushed me to buy it from them. Also the "Made In America" moniker. I'll post more build pics later. This is a quick build, but it may take a long time to get it painted with the wet weather here.

Douglas

The assembly of this rocket is all but finished. I use Elmer's wood glue to make all the fillets. It has very good strength and is tough. I've never had a fin joint fail although fins have cracked and split in numerous hard landings. I've repaired fins using wood glue and sometimes the same fin has cracked again, but never at a glue joint. This glue is not at all brittle. You can see in the launch lug fillet the dreaded air bubble. This can be hard to avoid with this deeply gapped joint, and even though I poke around with a toothpick in the still wet glue trying to work out all the air, I almost always get at least one. Once dry, I fill it in with more glue. Be aware that wood glue shrinks as it dries and that will affect the shape of your fillets. You compensate for shrinkage with the amount of glue you apply. I find that wood glue is not easily sculpted once dry and I usually can't get an absolutely smooth transition between the BT and the fins with it. I smooth it out as much as I can with my finger while it's still wet. These are flying models and I sacrifice a little good looks for durability. The last pic is the NC with the screw eye installed(again with glue), the BT55 ejection baffle assembled, and the 18mm engine adapter. Last part of the assembly is installing the baffle and recovery system which is a 12" chute with a swivel. hopefully, I can finish this rocket over the weekend if the dry weather holds and I'll post more pics.

P1100001.jpg

P1100006.jpg

P1100007.jpg

P1100005.jpg

P1100008.jpg

After more than 2 weeks of snow, wind and rain, I finally got a Saturday that was dry and calm enough for me to paint outdoors, so I applied 2 coats of white primer and lightly sanded the fins and nosecone. Already for the finish coat, but now of course it's raining again. The extended weather forecast says it will be dry next weekend, so I'll aim for then. Weekdays are out since it's dark when I leave for work and also when I get home this time of year.
So far, I have had good luck using HD Designs spraypaint for both primer and topcoat colors. It is $2.99 for an 11oz can at Fred Meyer. The primer does seem to run easily, but that is probably my fault. The colors seem to cover well with a single coat. The downside is that Freds only offers this paint in a limited variety of colors. That is when I use the more expensive Krylon or Rustoleum.

Douglas

P1290003.jpg

P1290004.jpg

P1290002.jpg

P1290007.jpg

Last edited:
Looking great. I have the Hornet and I have built (not painted) the Magnum Hornet using parts I scavange out of a box of stuff I bought. Funny thing, I even found the 18mm adapter kit and the laser cut fins all marked "Semroc" in a bag in the box. Ill have to look,but I donnt remember if I found the decals.
Anywhoo-I love these birds. Im finishing up (paint/decals) my Squirrel Works "Stinger" at this time. I also have the Semroc "ThunderBee"
I liked to get all the Bees,Yellow Jackets,Stingers,Hornets, ect, BUG named type rockets.
Anywhoo- back to your build. Again,looks great up to this point and I like what you said about it being a flyer.Thats what they are for after all.

hm maybe you need a 3" dia. bee with a 29mm mount so you can fly it on 'G' motors...
rex

Very Nice.

I picked up the Estes Hornet with a 40% coupon a few months back. Still in the 'to build' box. I like the Semroc version better, maybe because of the 24mm mount, but not sure. May have to get the whole set like Scotty.

Just finished up painting a little while ago. I was in a hurry to get it finished since the weather is looking good to launch here tomorrow. The body tube and fins were done with Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel. One coat did the trick. The nose cone was done with HD Designs Gloss Back Enamel. The NC didn't turn out as nice as I would have liked, so I may sand it and refinish it later. Maybe. The one black fin I hand painted with Testors Gloss Black Modeling paint. I'm hoping to get in some good D12-5 launches with this pup. I'll get out to the field early morning to beat the wind which was kind of gusty today.:cyclops:

Douglas

P2040002.jpg

P2040003.jpg

P2040004.jpg

P2040006.jpg

Looks good, Douglas.

If you have the room and there is no wind, try flying it on a Quest D5-6 motor.

It just keeps going... :D

N52 Semroc Magnum Hornet.jpg

N52 Semroc Magnum Hornet launch on Quest D5-6 motor.jpg

Very nice!

Gotta ask ... why hand pain the one fin and not tape/bag and spray?

Very nice!

Gotta ask ... why hand pain the one fin and not tape/bag and spray?

Yeah, I know. I still tend to paint some rocket parts by hand, usually fins and nose cones. This comes from my history of building plastic models, mostly WW2 fighter aircraft 1/48th and 1/72 scale. Old habits die hard. It's only been since I became a BAR that I began learning to spray paint. In fact, when I started building skill level kits about this time last year, I still brush painted entire rockets if they were small BT20 or BT5. Then when I wanted to build larger rockets I realized that I had better learn to spray paint. My Vagabond was the first kit entirely spray painted, and since then every kit is spray painted. I'm slowly getting better at it and this forum has been very helpful helping me hone my finishing skills. For example, jeffgeraci's painting tutorials have been great. I've also learned some masking techniques over on YORF.

Douglas

Back