Mercury Little Joe

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montaro

Reaction score
Hello Today I finish my Mercury Little Joe, i use the Michal Urban Model website modified.

I added the motor mount for a estes mini-engine, in the capsule i use customized connection strips to improve the resistance for the ejection charge. add a kevlar Shock cord using Tri Fold Method and Ejection Baffle.

Specifications
Mercury Little Joe
Scale: 1/48
Diameter: 4.2 cm
Length: 23.2 cm
Recovery: 12" Parachute with center port
Weight: 21 gr
Engine Mount: Estes Mini Engine (13mm)
Launch Lug: 1/4"
Ejection Baffle: Tri- 2/3 Circle

No escape tower at this moment. :eek:

Tomorrow will be the test launch, i'm quite worry because the only 13 mm Motor that i have is the A10-3T and the Open Open Rocket Simulation the apogee 72 Meters, that is too high for a 23 Cm Rocket, i think i will lose in the first flight :eek:. so the altimeter 2 will be in my pocket not in the rocket

mini-1.JPG

mini-2.JPG

mini-3.JPG

mini-4.JPG

mini-5.JPG

Very nice... who makes that kit??

Later! OL JR :)

Hello Today I finish my Mercury Little Joe, i use the Michal Urban Model website modified.

I added the motor mount for a estes mini-engine, in the capsule i use customized connection strips to improve the resistance for the ejection charge. add a kevlar Shock cord using Tri Fold Method and Ejection Baffle.

Specifications
Mercury Little Joe
Scale: 1/48
Diameter: 4.2 cm
Length: 23.2 cm
Recovery: 12" Parachute with center port
Weight: 21 gr
Engine Mount: Estes Mini Engine (13mm)
Launch Lug: 1/4"
Ejection Baffle: Tri- 2/3 Circle

No escape tower at this moment. :eek:

Tomorrow will be the test launch, i'm quite worry because the only 13 mm Motor that i have is the A10-3T and the Open Open Rocket Simulation the apogee 72 Meters, that is too high for a 23 Cm Rocket, i think i will lose in the first flight :eek:. so the altimeter 2 will be in my pocket not in the rocket

I agree that you've done a great job. May I copy it to the gallery section?

It is a nice model. I have built one also and is a great flyer. I did add some nose weight for stable flight. I did a cut out tower with a clear section of straw inside to give it rigid strength. If I can find the launch photos I'll post them. I'm currently building another one except I'm using 10 mil photo paper. Brings out the colors

Don't worry about the A10-3T motor. I always flew my LJ with that one and always recovered it with parachute.

Last edited:
Yesterday was the first flight, and was great , very fast acceleration, straight up flight with some a rotation.

Data Log
Engine: A10-3T
Apogee (m): 52
Speed (Km/h): 98
Burn Time (Seg): 0.3
Peak Acceleration (g): 23.0
Average Acceleration (g): 8.6
Coast to Apogee time (Seg): 3.0
Apogee to Eject time (seg): 1.1
Ejection altitude: 47
Desent Speed: 14
Flight Duration: 15.0

[YOUTUBE]46FRMbzVPi0[/YOUTUBE]

mini-8.JPG

mini-9.JPG

mini-10.JPG

11.jpg

Very nice... who makes that kit??

Later! OL JR :)

Thanks!

It is a nice model. I have built one also and is a great flyer. I did add some nose weight for stable flight. I did a cut out tower with a clear section of straw inside to give it rigid strength. If I can find the launch photos I'll post them. I'm currently building another one except I'm using 10 mil photo paper. Brings out the colors

Don't worry about the A10-3T motor. I always flew my LJ with that one and always recovered it with parachute.

Thanks, the straw is a good idea. I use my xerox Laser printer (that i just bought in december) with cardstock and i'm very happy with the quality.
For nose Weight i used the altimeter two :) and flew very stable as you said it, no problem with the A10-3T

Last edited:
Is there anyone out there that downloaded this model that could share a copy with me. I would get it myself but cardinspace is now defunct , and the wayback machine didn't archive the model itself. I checked about 5 different archived days, and all gave me an error when i tried to download. I would appreciate anyone's help with this.

Is there anyone out there that downloaded this model that could share a copy with me. I would get it myself but cardinspace is now defunct , and the wayback machine didn't archive the model itself. I checked about 5 different archived days, and all gave me an error when i tried to download. I would appreciate anyone's help with this.

I've got it. Send me your email address.

Back