Bonestell Lander

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
A few weeks ago someone commented on Blades photo about a rocket in his storage rig and he posted a couple of pics of it that REALLY caught my eye. It's his version of the Bonestell Lander and I was so taken by it I started one myself. I modded this one up for 24mm motors but prolly won't use any thing bigger than a C 11 or a D in it. It's a sanding fiasco to say the least. There's a lot of little balsa parts on these fins. Been a fun build so far.

On another note, you can see about how far I've gotten with my Saturn V build in the back. I wanted to wait until I found a method of reinforcing the fins and thruster shrouds in that I really don't trust these vacuformed parts to withstand very many landings. If you look at that little white cookie-like bit to the right of the lander you'll see my possible candidate. I used some 30 min epoxy and mixed it with some 1mm Styrofoam pellets I took out of a deco cushy pillow. This might be the trick. Easier to work with than wood glue which I tested 1st. Can't wait to see how well it worked on the scrap vac plastic on that cardboard just to the right of the foam cookie.

DSCF2706.JPG

C O O L ! I might make one next!
is that a Bt-80 tube? I would think a C would be a nice ride! how much does she weigh?

Like that Saturn too! I was at that step in the second i was building it:cool:
Heres mine!

Attachments

• 100_3065.jpg
    100_3065.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_3067.jpg
    100_3067.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 11
SO, thats what you were talking about. Thats a beauty Gary!!!
Is that a Semroc Constellation to the right?
I have one in the bag.

[POW]Eagle159;281164 said:
C O O L ! I might make one next!
is that a Bt-80 tube? I would think a C would be a nice ride! how much does she weigh?

Like that Saturn too! I was at that step in the second i was building it:cool:
Heres mine!

WOW! That's coming along nicely! What's with the red tower? Had you one of those "Mercury Redstone Moments"?

The lander is a BT 80 and an 80 K /Phoenix nose cone. Right now it weighs 3.75 oz with no paint or laundry. I would imagine a C would suffice quite nicely. Blades posted 2 photos and a template for the fins, pieces and parts and such but the template was somewhat scruffy. I took all that, brought it into Autocad and smartened up all the lines. My remake of the template worked great. Go to the thread he posted. The pics are on page 1 and the template he drew and a short build guide are on page 2. If you would prefer my template, let me know. I can post it.
https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=43173&highlight=bonestell+lander

In my best Elvis voice, "Thank ya vurry much". I just hope mine looks as nice as his turned out. Somewhere there is a posting where he flew it and reported that it flew quite well.

Nope, That's my upscale Scotty. Here's the whole rocket.
Nice job. I thought it was a little BIG looking to be the Semroc. I just put the pigment to my SWs JX-1. Ild like to upscale that one.
Anywhoo- I see your juices are flowing again..thats a good thing.
I really like the scratchers you come up with.
Did you get pictures of all your scratchers together yet some place??????

Nice job. I thought it was a little BIG looking to be the Semroc. I just put the pigment to my SWs JX-1. Ild like to upscale that one.
Anywhoo- I see your juices are flowing again..thats a good thing.
I really like the scratchers you come up with.
Did you get pictures of all your scratchers together yet some place??????

Thanks SD, I still haven't gotten the photo booth set up yet. I do have pics but most of them aren't all that. A few turned out nice but I need new pics of all of them. It's a project that I have been procrastinating on but eventually I'll have me a "Gary"s Dungeon" at some point.

The temps here are unbelievable. The humidity has been low enough to do a little painting on this bird. Rustoleum light gray primer and 2 coats of Rustoleum white.

Attachments

• DSCF2741.JPG
    DSCF2741.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 9
Right now it's all white. I have plenty of painting and decals to do. Not sure what colors are going where just yet.

Looks real nice. When's the first launch? Where do you fly?

Thank you, I don't know and I really have nowhere to launch. Sometimes I'll take small stuff down to the school yard on a weekend and I will be going back to Orangeburg for the Freedom Launch this year to fly some larger stuff. I guess for the most part I'm just a designer / builder.

Somebody got their camera out.
Looks good.
What do you have for decals, good ole Red,White and Blue,si-fi, ect?

[POW]Eagle159;311998 said:
I like what he did in that link... There are a lot of small details though!:horse:

The toughest part of this build was the landing pads. IMO, they had all the detail. I thought about doing them in silver but I kinda like em white....for now anyway.

DSCF2754.JPG

Didnt catch that the one pictured in your last post was your BL.
Nice job Gary.
You done did good.
You done do good on all your builds.!!!!!

Thanks guys. I think I like how my models are jumping out in the pics now. That black backdrop is working pretty good.

Thanks guys. I think I like how my models are jumping out in the pics now. That black backdrop is working pretty good.

I forgot to comment on that very topic when you sent me the pic earlier. The backdrop is great. Now you have no excuse not to post more pics. I recommend you post them first to Photobucket or similar so that the pics come out much larger here on the forum.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back