New Pad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnwwa

Reaction score
Just finish this pad for six rockets to go with our clubs Pratt Hobbies 6 pack controller.

John

New Pad 1.jpg

Where did you get the angled pieces of metal if you don't mind my asking where they made or bought at a hardware store?I need to get a hold of something like that for my home built pad right now I am using two eye bolts back to back with a drill chuck screwed on top to hold the launch rod but it doesn't hold up to heavier rockets well.

Johnnwwa,

If I am understanding your hardware design right, it looks like the launcher heads can be tilted (and locked) to the left or right of the yellow rail/hardback, but not in the direction "up" or "down" the yellow rail. Is that right?

Johnnwwa,

If I am understanding your hardware design right, it looks like the launcher heads can be tilted (and locked) to the left or right of the yellow rail/hardback, but not in the direction "up" or "down" the yellow rail. Is that right?

Yes the top angle can be tilted and locked ( front to back )as much as 90 degrees in either direction. Mostly to aid in putting rocket on launch rod .I work with kids, a long launch rod 36" or 48" makes it tough.So I made it so we could tilt the launcher head .I do plan on cutting down some 1/8" rods to 36" for this LPM pad.This design was made by trial and error .However I can add the feature you are talking about by replacing the lock nut with a wing nut . The base can then be rotated and the range head tilted . Hope that helps.

BAR
John

Last edited:
John:
Making a working Alt/azimuth launch rod head really doesn't have to be all that involved or hard to make.

Below is a head I designed for one of our Clubs 6 pad Racks, They work like a charm. We also have tons if kids using the pad also and only occasionally will a rod get bent.
36" really is a minimum length for most model rockets flying with the exception of Micro's . I believe it's still part of the sporting code, if not is should be for 1/4A-D models. Shorter rods just don't give the models enought time to get up to speed, unless they are all very small and light weight. I'd suggest sticking with 36" rods for safety sake;)

Dwg 1b_Rack Body Side View_03-29-02.jpg

Dwg 3_Alti-Azmith Swivel Head_02-20-02.jpg

Last edited:
John:
Making a working Alt/azimuth launch rod head really doesn't have to be all that involved or hard to make.

Below is a head I designed for one of our Clubs 6 pad Racks, They work like a charm. We also have tons if kids using the pad also and only occasionally will a rod get bent.
36" really is a minimum length for most model rockets flying with the exception of Micro's . I believe it's still part of the sporting code, if not is should be for 1/4A-D models. Shorter rods just don't give the models enought time to get up to speed, unless they are all very small and light weight. I'd suggest sticking with 36" rods for safety sake;)

Micro
Yes you are correct I ment 36" our rods are 48" now should have said cut to 36":eek:

John

Hmmm.... kinda looks like this...

tripad2.jpg

;)

BTW, I do sell the head pieces with blast deflector for $20 each.

Back