Just another boring HP scratch build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do me a favor... every time you create a centering ring or a baffle plate, make two and send me the duplicate! :)

And a bill. :eyeroll::eek::wink::wink:

All you need is a drill press, some hole saws, and a lathe, and you can make your very own centering rings!

Also these build are no longer challenging you. Time to start making some scale models. :D

Wonderful rocket BTW. Don't know how I missed the build thread this long... oh yes... I do... it's called WORK!
:mad:

Thanks Jeff! I'm happy with how this one is turning out. But then, I haven't started painting it yet...

I'm kind of thinking all black with a white decal. Looks rather sinister.

ion_disruptor_blk_wht_decal.jpg

I'm kind of thinking all black with a white decal. Looks rather sinister.

I like the all black, maybe even a flat black instead of glossy. I just started what will be a 29 mm MPR scratch. I am having trouble deciding on the fins, and I keep coming back to forward swept triangular fins like this one of yours, or alternating like your Meat Grinder. I'm trying to be more original, but I'm really liking these and it's hard not to do something similar.

Can't wait to see this one finished.

I like the all black, maybe even a flat black instead of glossy. I just started what will be a 29 mm MPR scratch. I am having trouble deciding on the fins, and I keep coming back to forward swept triangular fins like this one of yours, or alternating like your Meat Grinder. I'm trying to be more original, but I'm really liking these and it's hard not to do something similar.

Look at the BARCLONE design "Anger Management". With a Roachwerks custom 3.0" conical nose cone and a LOC 3.0-2.1 inch transition, it would make a very cool upscale for 38 or 29mm

Hmmm... just contemplating a few custom cones from him... hmmm....

I didn't think about flat black. Maybe even a mix of flat and glossy. I do like my forward swept fins. It's funny, when I flew Slipstream the first time, the RSO was convinced that the fins would tear off. Several flights later, they're still just as solid. I want to mount an onboard camera high enough to see if they flutter.

You can always use my designs for ideas, and make other changes if you're worried about originality. I'm sure there are a nearly infinite number of different designs. One of my problems is thinking outside the box and keeping the builds simple at the same time.

Look at the BARCLONE design "Anger Management". With a Roachwerks custom 3.0" conical nose cone and a LOC 3.0-2.1 inch transition, it would make a very cool upscale for 38 or 29mm

Hmmm... just contemplating a few custom cones from him... hmmm....

I love Anger Management! It is a radical, wicked design,

Finally got some more done to Ion Disruptor. Finished the internal fillets and epoxied in the aft centering ring. As usual, I used a piece of plastic pipe as a spacer to put the centering ring at the correct position and keep it level while the epoxy sets.

103_internal_fillets.jpg

104_internal_fillets.jpg

107_aft_ring.jpg

108_aft_ring.jpg

To hopefully protect the aft end from hard landings, I epoxied in a piece cut from a coupler. I also got the fillet around the motor tube. It was supposed to be sunny today, and I was going to start painting it. But the sun was only out for a few minutes, so I'll try again tomorrow.

109_ring.jpg

110_ring.jpg

113_aft.jpg

I love Anger Management! It is a radical, wicked design,

And you have the lathe to turn the cone and transition for a nice 29mm powered version. Maybe a 3 inch diameter payload section and 3 to 2.1 inch transition. I wish I A) had a lathe, B) knew how to use one!
:D

It was supposed to be sunny today, and I was going to start painting it. But the sun was only out for a few minutes, so I'll try again tomorrow.

Yesterday was the day for painting! I was able to lay down a second of primer on my Mean Machine. Ultra 2X White on the forward section and standard Rusto gray primer for the aft as I'm going to shoot a two-tone color scheme as well: Fluoro pink and metallic black.

Think we can get these done in time for the next Snow Ranch launch? Only 10 days left.

And you have the lathe to turn the cone and transition for a nice 29mm powered version. Maybe a 3 inch diameter payload section and 3 to 2.1 inch transition. I wish I A) had a lathe, B) knew how to use one!
:D

I've got the lathe, but I don't know if I have the skills. I can turn a nice pen, but nose cones and transitions are a little more involved. Maybe small ones, but not 3" or 4".

Yes, this is trashing the bottom of my Osiris 3.9 inch upscale. Every landing seems to take another little chip out of that aft rim...
:(

The bottom of my Slipstream is getting pretty banged up. I did the piece of coupler thing on a couple of other rockets, but I haven't flown them enough to know if it's making a difference.

retention3.jpg

Yesterday was the day for painting! I was able to lay down a second of primer on my Mean Machine. Ultra 2X White on the forward section and standard Rusto gray primer for the aft as I'm going to shoot a two-tone color scheme as well: Fluoro pink and metallic black.

Think we can get these done in time for the next Snow Ranch launch? Only 10 days left.

You got the sun we were promised, you lucky dog! A pink rocket? How unusual for you. :grin:

It's supposed to be sunny today and through the weekend, so hopefully I'll get some painting done, too. I want to get the Disruptor done, and I need to work on the Pensacola. I'm having second thoughts about the camo paint job on it, though. With my painting luck, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm hoping the Ranch doesn't dry out too much before the launch, and they have to cancel it again. We got a lot of rain, but still not enough. We'll just have to hope and pray.

I decided to put a forward bulkhead in the Disruptor, to attach the recovery harness to, instead of the nose cone. The extra weight will also add to the stability.

114_bulkhead.jpg

115_bulkhead.jpg

116_bulkhead.jpg

117_bulkhead.jpg

118_bulkhead.jpg

I decided to put a forward bulkhead in the Disruptor, to attach the recovery harness to, instead of the nose cone. The extra weight will also add to the stability.

When I don't have a bulkhead, I rarely attach the chute to nose cone. I always tie a loop in the harness and attach it there. Not sure if I am doing any good but my excuse is the load is on the harness material as the chute inflates and not on the plastic loop.

However, like the Ion Disruptor most of my new scratchers will have payload sections to carry recovery and/or recording electronics.

Man, I've got to start bookmarking your threads for if/when I move up into high power.

When I don't have a bulkhead, I rarely attach the chute to nose cone. I always tie a loop in the harness and attach it there. Not sure if I am doing any good but my excuse is the load is on the harness material as the chute inflates and not on the plastic loop.

However, like the Ion Disruptor most of my new scratchers will have payload sections to carry recovery and/or recording electronics.

Yeah, I learned my lesson about using the loops on plastic nose cones and transitions with Tank Girl. On most of my HP and MP builds, I'll drill holes and put a loop of nylon cord through, and attach the shock cord to that. With the Ion Disruptor, I think I just wanted to use my power tools. LOL

nose1.jpg

nose_cone3.jpg

Got the sanding sealer applied to the fins and sanded. I also sanded and washed the nose cone, and wiped it down with rubbing alcohol. And got the rail buttons installed.

119_sanding_sealer.jpg

122_sanding_sealer.jpg

123_rail_buttons.jpg

125_rail_buttons.jpg

126_rail_buttons.jpg

And thanks to Mr Gneiss Guy's suggestion, flat black paint. Still no bubbles or cracks. Yay! :clap:

132_paint.jpg

133_paint.jpg

134_paint.jpg

I don't know if gloss black would have been any better or worse. But the defects show up pretty good. Looks like the sanding sealer ran on the body tube, and the fin fillet is pretty rough. Not quite as bad in the shade as in the sun. Don't know yet if I want to mess with sanding it or not.

135_defects.jpg

136_defects.jpg

139_defects.jpg

140_defects.jpg

But overall I really like it! Maybe it's because I didn't have any paint woes this time, but I love the all flat black paint. The white vinyl decal is really going to pop. It really does look sinister!

137_paint.jpg

138_paint.jpg

142_paint.jpg

But overall I really like it! Maybe it's because I didn't have any paint woes this time, but I love the all flat black paint. The white vinyl decal is really going to pop. It really does look sinister!

I might clear coat it with a satin clear. Flat tends to pick up dirt and keep it. BUT if the paint is fine, maybe NOT touching it is best!!! :D

Nice work. :handshake: Like you've done one or two before! :rofl:

Looks great! Flat black as a certain elegance all its own, doesn't it?

Good painting weather for both of us today. Managed to shoot a couple of primer coats as well so I should have my Mean Machine ready for next weekend if the weather cooperates AND we have a launch at Snow Ranch.

Did you already order your white vinyl decals for the Ion Disruptor?

Looking forward to seeing this bad boy fly.

[POW]Eagle159;291151 said:
N I C E, I love that long nose cone!:wink:

I like it too. It's the standard 4" nose cone from Mercury Engineering, and very inexpensive. 16" long, not including the shoulder.

I might clear coat it with a satin clear. Flat tends to pick up dirt and keep it. BUT if the paint is fine, maybe NOT touching it is best!!! :D

Nice work. :handshake: Like you've done one or two before! :rofl:

Yeah, one of my very few paint victories. The flat clear coat isn't a bad idea. I might shoot the nose cone with it to see how it looks.

Looks great! Flat black as a certain elegance all its own, doesn't it?

Good painting weather for both of us today. Managed to shoot a couple of primer coats as well so I should have my Mean Machine ready for next weekend if the weather cooperates AND we have a launch at Snow Ranch.

Did you already order your white vinyl decals for the Ion Disruptor?

Looking forward to seeing this bad boy fly.

Yeah, the flat black was a great suggestion. I love the look of it on this rocket. Yes, the decal has already been ordered and shipped, I should get it this week. I'm really looking forward to Snow Ranch. I hope they don't cancel it again.

Great paint job,that really makes it look lean and mean.:handshake:

Great paint job,that really makes it look lean and mean.:handshake:

Thanks! I wish all my paint jobs turned out so well. I might start painting all my rockets one flat color. LOL

I sprayed the nose cone with some Rustoleum 2x satin clear. They had gloss, semi-gloss, and satin, which I assumed was flat. But as it turns out, it's kind of a cross between flat and semi-gloss. I like the look, though, it looks a little "richer" or "deeper" or (insert your choice of adjective here). Surprisingly, the difference actually shows up in the photos. I haven't hit the rocket with the clear yet, just the nose cone. I think it'll retain its sinister look with the satin clear coat, and actually look better. Thanks for the suggestion, Jeff!

143_satin.jpg

144_satin.jpg

145_satin.jpg

146_satin.jpg

I couldn't stand it. I sanded the defects a little and repainted it. It didn't help much, but from the right angle it does look a little better.

147_sanded.jpg

148_defects.jpg

149_defects.jpg

Back