Just another boring HP scratch build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the forward centering ring epoxied on the motor tube, and the motor mount epoxied into the body tube. I also got the eyebolt nut covered with epoxy, and the baffle epoxied into the coupler.

58_motor_mount.jpg

64_motor_mount.jpg

59_eyebolt.jpg

61_coupler.jpg

63_coupler.jpg

I measured and marked the 1/4" wide fin slots. Then using a piece of aluminum angle as a guide, I cut out the fin slots with an Xacto knife.

56_slots.jpg

57_slots.jpg

62_slots.jpg

I went ahead and cut out some bigger fins. I think they look much better.

66_bigger_fins.jpg

69_bigger_fins.jpg

71_bigger_fins.jpg

72_bigger_fins.jpg

74_bigger_fins.jpg

Got the slots cut for the finlets. Did a couple things that made it a little easier. One, I sanded the bottom of the aluminum angle so it wasn't so slippery on the body tube. Two, I used a new knife. It's a mini folding utility knife from Home Depot. I think it was easier cutting through the thick cardboard than an X-acto knife would have been. The utility knife blade is thicker, and doesn't flex as much. I think I'd still use an X-acto knife on thinner body tubes, though, for the better control.

75_slots.jpg

76_slots.jpg

78_slots.jpg

Ever the indecisive one, I decided that the new bigger fins were a little too big. So I trimmed a little off. I like them better now. I think.

80_fins.jpg

81_fins.jpg

82_fins.jpg

fins_composite1.jpg

fins_composite2.jpg

I read through some of your builds. All of them are Very nice:D. I like mercury engenering too. they look like they have some good stuff

I read through some of your builds. All of them are Very nice:D. I like mercury engenering too. they look like they have some good stuff

Thank you for the compliment! Yeah, I like Mercury's stuff. I've built two of their kits. The Hijacker was my first true mid power kit. And I also built a cluster version of the Integrator. At the time, it was my biggest rocket ever.

IMGP6561_crop.jpg

lunar_launch_050110_196.jpg

Got the lower fins epoxied on, using my homemade fin alignment jig as usual. I keep forgetting to change the spacer in it to 1/4". But the alignment on the fins looks good regardless.

85_fins.jpg

87_fins.jpg

88_fins.jpg

90_fins.jpg

91_fins.jpg

And the upper fins, or as I refer to them, the "finlets". I used two pieces of aluminum angle clamped to the lower fins to align the finlets while the epoxy set. Next will be the tedious fillets application.

92_finlets.jpg

93_finlets.jpg

94_finlets.jpg

97_finlets.jpg

I think I'm happy with the shapes of the fins and finlets. Good thing, it's a little late to make changes now!

fins5.jpg

fins6.jpg

fins7.jpg

fins_composite3.jpg

Your threads always make me want to go grab a rocket and work on it. Great pictures, clean-looking builds, WOW! I hope that I can someday have enough time and resources to build as many rockets as you!

Man, All this in TWO days!!!:y: Pretty awesome!
what colors you gonna do on this one?

Your threads always make me want to go grab a rocket and work on it. Great pictures, clean-looking builds, WOW! I hope that I can someday have enough time and resources to build as many rockets as you!

Thank you very much! All it takes is a little skill, a lot of obsession, and more money than I care to think about! LOL

[POW]Eagle159;281684 said:

Haven't really decided yet. I'm kinda leaning towards blue body with black nose and fins, but I'm still thinking about it. Been playing around in Photoshop a bit.

ion_disruptor_blu_blk.jpg

ion_disruptor_blk_yel.jpg

ion_disruptor_blk_red.jpg

ion_disruptor_yel_blu.jpg

ion_disruptor_grn_blk.jpg

[POW]Eagle159;281684 said:

And I actually started on the centering rings before Christmas. I started the rest after I received the components last week.

I got the external fillets applied. As always, I used Titebond molding and trim glue. Next will be internal fillets.

98_fillets.jpg

99_fillets.jpg

100_fillets.jpg

101_fillets.jpg

This will be the one with no paint issues! :wink:

The blue and black looks pretty awesome. If you go with that...do NOT get Rustoleum specialty lacker...it is horrible...

Awesome looking rocket!

Braden

Haven't really decided yet. I'm kinda leaning towards blue body with black nose and fins, but I'm still thinking about it. Been playing around in Photoshop a bit.
I to like the blue/black combo,it will be easy to spot in the sky.I really like your fin choice with the swept back style you'll be safe from fin damage.And it looks so cool!!!!:D

The Green/Black looks really kool! ( It has to be a bright/florescent)
And the red/black combo...:D

The blue and black looks pretty awesome. If you go with that...do NOT get Rustoleum specialty lacker...it is horrible...

Awesome looking rocket!

Braden

They make Blue lacquer now ??

I love their other lacquers ,wish they made more colors though.I find lacquers pretty much fool proof ,well, unless you mix them with enamels.

Duplicolor color match acrylic lacquers are also great ,and easy to use ,beats the hell out of enamels ,but again ,limited range of colors but not bad.

Braden ,what troubles did you have with Rusto lacquers ?

Paul T

They make Blue lacquer now ??

I love their other lacquers ,wish they made more colors though.I find lacquers pretty much fool proof ,well, unless you mix them with enamels.

Duplicolor color match acrylic lacquers are also great ,and easy to use ,beats the hell out of enamels ,but again ,limited range of colors but not bad.

Braden ,what troubles did you have with Rusto lacquers ?

Paul T

Actually, I meant for the black. I used it to paint my 5.5 inch Nike Smoke. The airframe came out fine, but it wrinkled all over on the nosecone, sanded and re painted it about 5 times...

Braden

Actually, I meant for the black. I used it to paint my 5.5 inch Nike Smoke. The airframe came out fine, but it wrinkled all over on the nosecone, sanded and re painted it about 5 times...

Braden

Could have been worse ,could have had to do it 6 times :wink:

For a moment there ,I thought you guys in the US had some new lacquer colors before we got them up here in Canada...:(

paul T

Do me a favor... every time you create a centering ring or a baffle plate, make two and send me the duplicate! :)

And a bill. :eyeroll::eek::wink::wink:

Also these build are no longer challenging you. Time to start making some scale models. :D

Wonderful rocket BTW. Don't know how I missed the build thread this long... oh yes... I do... it's called WORK!
:mad:

Awesome looking rocket!

Braden

I to like the blue/black combo,it will be easy to spot in the sky.I really like your fin choice with the swept back style you'll be safe from fin damage.And it looks so cool!!!!:D

Thanks for the compliments! I'm leaning towards the black and blue, too. I'll probably be using Rustoleum Painter's Touch as usual. With all the paint problems I've had, I have the best luck with it.

[POW]Eagle159;283358 said:
The Green/Black looks really kool! ( It has to be a bright/florescent)
And the red/black combo...:D

Yeah, I like that combo too. I painted my LOC-IV black with fluorescent green, and it turned out pretty cool. But the green kind of faded, and it's not glossy. I was going to try clear coating it, but never got around to it.

LOC-IV.jpg

LOC-IV_stretch.jpg

LOC-IV_joe.jpg

LOC-IV_skidmark2.jpg

Back