Wildman - Shape Shifter Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks really nice.
Has it flown yet?
If not what do you plan to fly it on?
Altitude?velocity?

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

Tim the owner of Wildman hobbies.

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

Conner,,,,,,
It hasn't been up yet...........
I plan on a Mid weight H for the maiden flight,,,,
Maybe to 1800 or 2000 Ft or so.............

After the maiden and a few more flights,,,,,
say to 4000 FT ( that's about how high I am comfortable with at my home field ) when it's proven,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It'll move..............

Teddy

A Black Saturday special and a fun build. Will likely fly it sometime in June. Thanks for a great design Gary.

c16260fc-ddbf-40d1-8748-4455560f2af1_zps8c3b89f9.jpg

Thanks Gary,,,,,,,,
I'll see ya next month at Higg's for sure.........

Teddy

Well... I flew my Shape-Shifter Mini on an Aerotech F40W on Saturday. The flight didn't quite... go as planned.

Here's the video:

[video=youtube;34Pn4bW7sm8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Pn4bW7sm8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

As best as I can figure, there was an unfortunate wind gust as the rocket was leaving the rail, causing it to windcock severely. There was almost a 10:1 TTW ratio off the pad, and it was moving decently off the pad, so I don't think that was the problem. neither rail button was damaged, and after looking at a frame by frame, the turn didn't start until about 6ft off the rail, so I doubt it caught on the edge of the rail.

As for the unfortunate touchdown, when I disassembled the motor, I found a big hunk of char, ash, and unburned material over the hole connecting to the charge well. Thus the charge never fired. The BP all dumped out of the case when I turned it upside down to inspect it, and the red cap was found undamaged in the rocket.

There's no damage, but the nose cone is scratched and will need to be repainted. At the next launch (This Sunday) I plan to try again with the same motor, assuming lower winds.

I really gotta hand it to Wildman (and Rocketpoxy) everything on the rocket, attachment points and the tube itself, held up like a champ!

Nate

Last edited:
Here is my 2-stage SS Jr. I was sorting last years photos and found a few that I thought were share-worthy:

This is the first flight of this 2-stage rocket.

Setup - Me on the step stool, my oldest sons Cy and Jeff, and my friend Tom:
MMMSC 084.jpg

Ready for launch:
MMMSC 102.jpg

and Launch (CTI I470WT to CTI H143SS)
MMMSC 115.jpg

Back