Wrapping Fiberglass

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggplant

L3 | NAR 93664, TRA 17791
Reaction score
I probably have the wrong idea, but wouldn't the overlap you get when wrapping fiberglass to make your own tube result in a non-round tube? How do you deal with this? What is the best way to make a fiberglass tube, maybe one about 3" around?

Watch Tfish's videos. They helped me a ton while helping me make FG tubes. Theyre worth 30min

It's been many years since I glassed a tube, getting ready to do some soon.

Tom

I've done glass over a mandrel (waxed dowel) and on top of an existing bodytube. For some reason, I did better with the mandrel, but that could be both the diameter and the number of times I've done it.

After watching the Tfish video tutorial (must see TV, seriously!) the best thing to do (in my opinion) is to get your hands dirty. If you're going the mandrel route, just plan on wasting the first few tries. If you do nail it right off the bat, all the better, but plan on a little learning while you go. If you are doing it over some tubes, maybe use some smaller ones or even wrapping paper rolls before going on to bigger projects.

As far as the actual seam, sure, the tube is slightly non-symmetric. Depending on your method, the difference can be pretty small. I plan for a little over 1/4" overlap, but during the process of wetting/wrapping the tube, I think it stretches a bit. It isn't noticeable after filling and paint.

Give it a try, its fun. . .

Sandy.

Eggplant, before you lay down the end of the last wrap, pull out about an inch of the "longwise" fibers to feather it. This will allow the "crosswise" strands to "lay" a little flatter without so much of a bump. Of course if your using 8oz or thicker cloth, it gets much harder to not have a bump. I prefer to use 3.8oz cloth and several wraps to get the thickness i want. This is for wrapping a paper tube. If making an all glass tube I might use a heavy weight cloth for the "build up" layers and try to make it end right where it began. I "feather" both ends of these wraps to lessen the bump.

After this layer is hard and course sanded, apply 2-3 layers of 1.45oz cloth as a "sanding veil". The end of this wrap will be barely noticeable. The weave is extremely fine and the finish will be very smooth.

Also use peel ply (or light weight dacron aircraft covering which is much cheaper). The peel ply will mash down the seam a little better, and will pull up more epoxy and hold it at the top of the glass, so that your not sanding off as much glass, but rather epoxy, to get it smooth.

Back