Estes Hi-Flier XL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Initiator001

Reaction score
I noticed on the Estes website last week that the Hi-Flier XL kit was now available for sale. I checked my usual mail-order sources but they didn't have it listed yet, sooo...

I ordered it direct from Estes. Free shipping, too. It's been a looong time since I've ordered from Estes directly.

The model arrived today. The Hi-Flier XL is a good sized model. BT-60 body tube, 31" tall. Big pieces of balsa sheet for each laser-cut fin.

It will look good next to my Vagabond.

Estes Hi-Flier XL Front.jpg

Estes Hi-Flier XL Back.jpg

Wonder how high that would go on a CTI E75 or AT-RMS F24W? Sure would live up to its name!

Are you going to do any mods to it, or build it stock?

Greg

Wonder how high that would go on a CTI E75 or AT-RMS F24W? Sure would live up to its name!

Are you going to do any mods to it, or build it stock?

Greg

The packaging states the kit will go 1325 feet high on an E9 motor. A single-use AeroTech F32-8T could be pretty exciting. :D

I will build it stock with the exception of adding a baffle and longer shock cord.

I noticed on the Estes website last week that the Hi-Flier XL kit was now available for sale. I checked my usual mail-order sources but they didn't have it listed yet, sooo...

I ordered it direct from Estes. Free shipping, too. It's been a looong time since I've ordered from Estes directly.

The model arrived today. The Hi-Flier XL is a good sized model. BT-60 body tube, 31" tall. Big pieces of balsa sheet for each laser-cut fin.

It will look good next to my Vagabond.

GMTA, saw it pop up on eBay this AM and immediately hit the big discount guys, but only saw new "E" Mean Machine listed at one.

So it is really balsa fins, not birch like the Executioner and not TTW ? Also looks like the new HBD Heavy Body Tube like the new Tomahawk, not traditional BT , correct ?

From the pics am more excited about this than the new Pro series.

Kenny

Last edited:
GMTA, saw it pop up on eBay this AM and immediately hit the big discount guys, but only saw new "E" Mean Machine listed at one.

So it is really balsa fins, not birch like the Executioner and not TTW ? Also looks like the new HBD Heavy Body Tube like the new Tomahawk, not traditional BT , correct ?

From the pics am more excited about this than the new Pro series.

Kenny

Ken,

Yup, big balsa fins.

The body tube looks like regular (white outer wrap) BT-60. The D-Region Tomahawk uses a 1.8" diameter body tube.

Plastic nose cone.

I'm thinking about moving it to the top of my 'build' pile. :)

I'm thinking about moving it to the top of my 'build' pile. :)

Thought it might be listed as a HBT-xxx on the parts list like the Tomahawk. Have been pleasantly surprised by Estes with TTW birch fins , nylon parachutes, and the Heavy BT on a few kits .

Will put it in my Estes buy queue , try for $100 min & will wait for Nike , Asteroid, E11-0, etc. How do you rate theb Quest Minotaur, Striker AGM , ect ?

Kenny

I opened up the Hi-Flier XL package tonight to look over the parts.

The body tube is BT-60, not 'heavy-duty'.

Nose cone looks to be the same as the Vagabond kit.

Big laser-cut slabs of balsa for fins. :D

I'm going to get started on this kit. I'll post pictures when it's finished.

Estes Hi-Flier XL Parts.jpg

Decal sheet looks interesting with the fin wedges. That is what the smaller kit needs.

Wow - a new PNC-60! I'd figured they would use the Mean Machine/Der Red Max nose cone for this kit. That's awesome!

Nice looking kit, neat release by Estes. At under 4oz, this should be a great performer on an E9-6 or 8.

E9-6 is great but dont be afraid to power up on this bad little rocket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b15...xt=C3ac4875UDOEgsToPDskLWBNqALJdxpQEDPcHVoxbn

I have a view other vids of the rocket too.. check the vids on my you tube page.

I remember that flight from GARLO last year. While watching the video and hearing you wonder how high it went it occurred to me that we could probably get a fairly good idea of the height by analyzing the video. If we can determine the angle of view of the camera and if there is an object of a known size in view, such as the parking lot in this video, we should be able to calculate how far away that object is from the camera, and thus how high the rocket is. This might be an interesting topic for one of our future meetings.

Jonathan
-----
Jonathan Sivier
jsivier AT illinois DOT edu
NAR #56437 | Tripoli #1906
CIA Web Site: https://www.CIARocketry.org/
Home Page: https://www.sivier.me/

Bob, your rockets seem to come out great!

Would you mind outlining a "how to" for primer and paint?

Greg

Bob, your rockets seem to come out great!

Would you mind outlining a "how to" for primer and paint?

Greg

Thanks for the compliment.

Although, if you had been watching me spray paint my Estes Hi-Flier XL about two hours ago, you might change your opinion (Doggone paint runs! :mad: ).

Much of what I learned about finishing rockets came from web forums like TRF.

The most important things to have when building/finishing a model are time, patience and a lot of elbow-grease. ;)

I remember that flight from GARLO last year. While watching the video and hearing you wonder how high it went it occurred to me that we could probably get a fairly good idea of the height by analyzing the video. If we can determine the angle of view of the camera and if there is an object of a known size in view, such as the parking lot in this video, we should be able to calculate how far away that object is from the camera, and thus how high the rocket is. This might be an interesting topic for one of our future meetings.

Jonathan
-----
Jonathan Sivier
jsivier AT illinois DOT edu
NAR #56437 | Tripoli #1906
CIA Web Site: https://www.CIARocketry.org/
Home Page: https://www.sivier.me/

Great idea!

Doesn't the name remind you of a golf ball? Hi-Flier XL by Titleist.

I have finished my Estes Hi-Flier XL.

Weight less motor is 5.1 oz.

I added a Semroc baffle, longer shock cord and doubled the thickness of the motor mount centering rings (Never know when I might want to launch it on an AeroTech F32-8T motor. :D ).

Just a note to John and Mike. There is an error in the instruction sheet. The instructions have the builder glue in the tri-fold shock cord anchor AFTER putting in the wadding and inserting the parachute for flight.

Estes Hi-Flier XL.jpg

I have finished my Estes Hi-Flier XL.

Weight less motor is 5.1 oz.

I added a Semroc baffle, longer shock cord and doubled the thickness of the motor mount centering rings (Never know when I might want to launch it on an AeroTech F32-8T motor. :D ).

Just a note to John and Mike. There is an error in the instruction sheet. The instructions have the builder glue in the tri-fold shock cord anchor AFTER putting in the wadding and inserting the parachute for flight.

I hope you e-mailed that info to them directly!

Planning to launch it on Sunday at the Dam? Weather is looking better.

And I have several F32-8T motors. :D

Saturday, March 3rd was a beautuful day for flying rockets at the Santa Fe Dam Recreational Park in Los Angeles County.

No wind. Only a gentle breeze every once in awhile.

Clear blue sky.

Temp in the 70s.

It was the best rocket flying weather I had experienced in a long time.

The rocket gods must have wanted to see me fly my new Estes Hi-Flier XL. :D

I stayed with the mfgs. recommended first flight motor (C11-3). Fred checked it through and I loaded it on the pad.

The launch was good and the model looked great flying into the sky. The rocket landed 100' from the pad without damage. :)

I really like these new BT-60 size rockets Estes is now releasing. The Hi-Flier XL will join my Vagabond model in my stable of 'go-to' rockets for any launch.

SCRA Launch 03-03-12-01 Hi-Flier XL awaiting launch.jpg

SCRA Launch 03-03-12-02 Hi-Flier XL launching on Estes C11-3 motor.jpg

SCRA Launch 03-03-12-03 Hi-Flier XL clears the launch pad.jpg

SCRA Launch 03-03-12-04 Estes Hi-Flier XL climbs into the sky.jpg

SCRA Launch 03-03-12-05 Estes Hi-Flier XL continues to climb into the sky.jpg

Just out of curiosity ... lets say someone built this kit and one of the fins was a degree or three off vertical when looking at it from the end, how bad would this be?

Not sure why or how anyone would do that. <rolls eyes>

Latest posts

Back