Space X Falcon 9 Model Rocket Kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Initiator001

Reaction score
A package arrived today from Amazon.com and inside were two Space X Falcon 9 model rocket kits.

The kit is packaged in a full color box.

A picture is attached of the front and back of the box. I will open one up tomorrow and post pictures. ;)

Space X Falcon 9.jpg

I opened one of the Falcon 9 kit boxes and took a pictures of the parts (Attached).

The body tube appears to be the same diameter as BT-60.

The plastic pieces are very cleanly molded, no flash.

The checkerboard parachutes have 'Falcon 9' printed in the center on them.

The instructions state, "Model designed by Roger Gilbertson, Space X. Tooled, manufactured and assembled in the USA."

The NAR is mentioned several times along with the NAR website.

While the instructions mention that no painting is required, I don't know if I can stop myself from breaking out the spray paint for the plastic parts. ;)

Space X Falcon 9 Parts Layout.jpg

I am very much looking forward to this one!

Please proceed!

Has anybody else had any luck ordering one of these? The first time I looked at Amazon it said they were coming soon. When I checked again they were out of stock with no date when they would be back in stock.

Has anybody else had any luck ordering one of these? The first time I looked at Amazon it said they were coming soon. When I checked again they were out of stock with no date when they would be back in stock.

I just ordered one. They said they had six left before I ordered.

I just got my kit in the mail today. A young man I used to take to launches now works for Space-X. He says anytime I want a tour of Space-X site just come on out.
Gary

Looks like I'll cancel my plans for a Falcon 9 kit, can't compete with the company that makes the real thing. :(

I did my design based on public domain photos, etc. but I am sure the detail on this is right on.

I'll order one to see if I was even close. BTW, I'd probably never had gotten permission to add the SpaceX logos anyway.

Got my SpaceX Falcon 9 / Dragon model today. Its a fairly easy build although I messed up the capsule wrap.

These wraps are "on" once you apply any pressure. Apply too much pressure wraping it and tear............................... oh my......

IMHO these wraps are too unforgiving. I see a lot of kids having some messed up wraps on this one.

There are a lot of nicely designed in features not found on a lot of kits, the plastic parts are of very good quality but basicly smooth with not much "real" detail. As I have not been within a 1/4 mile of the Falcon, I can't say that isn't right.

I will fly it tomorrow and will post some build photos and flight photos good or bad.

Got my SpaceX Falcon 9 / Dragon model today. Its a fairly easy build although I messed up the capsule wrap.

These wraps are "on" once you apply any pressure. Apply too much pressure wraping it and tear............................... oh my......

IMHO these wraps are too unforgiving. I see a lot of kids having some messed up wraps on this one.

There are a lot of nicely designed in features not found on a lot of kits, the plastic parts are of very good quality but basicly smooth with not much "real" detail. As I have not been within a 1/4 mile of the Falcon, I can't say that isn't right.

I will fly it tomorrow and will post some build photos and flight photos good or bad.

I look forward to that !

Paul T

Looks like I'll cancel my plans for a Falcon 9 kit, can't compete with the company that makes the real thing. :(

I did my design based on public domain photos, etc. but I am sure the detail on this is right on.

I'll order one to see if I was even close. BTW, I'd probably never had gotten permission to add the SpaceX logos anyway.

The short tunnels between stages are just printed on the wrap, with default three-d shading. Detailing is an afterthought. This is a kit for flying, and PR for the company, not for absolute accuracy.

Flew the rocket less than 24 hours after receiving the kit. Both flights went okay, the first flight on a recommended B6-4 had about 1.5 seconds too long of a delay. The second flight using the recommended C6-5 was about .5 seconds too long.

The first flight the stiff Dragon parachuute didn't deploy. I had to crumble the chute quite a bit between flights to get it open freely.

All in all not a bad flyer, the clear fins were good but a little too thin to my liking. Both landings were on soft tall grass.

Flight 1.jpg

Gus over on YORF did a fantasic how to thread on his method of applying full body SA wraps.

Check it out:

https://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10456&highlight=Spacex

I just order one, I love that rocket, but I should upscale to 1:48 for my scale fleet.

Last edited:
[POW]Eagle159;277465 said:
Take PICTURES if/when you go!:wink::horse:

I've had the whole tour of the TX test facility, inside all the test stands and buildings. No pictures allowed!

Back