New Here -- Anyone in Westchester Co. NY?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-a-Guy

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm just a guy living in the suburbs of NYC. Santa brought my 7 year old son an Estes Rocket and launch pad etc. I had these when I was a kid and my dad is thrilled to see his grandson now doing it, too. We've done a couple of successful launches and looking forward to more.

Anyone here in the area of Westchester County, NY? There doesn't seem to be an NAR chapter here.

Thanks,

Mark

I suggest METRA, it is the shortest distance from you - about 10 miles West of Harriman State Park. Presuming you live just north of the city, METRA will be 2 or 3x closer to you than the other two clubs.

METRA has an efficient and powerful launch system and also some really big rockets. It is fun to see the big rockets go even if you do smaller rockets. You will also meet lots of locals, inc. some New Yorkers at METRA, and the size and condition of the field is great. The soil is usually very soft.

Al may agree that CATO tends towards low and mid power more than METRA if you want to focus on Estes. But METRA does fly estes racks all day. Either way you go, you will not be disappointed. These are great clubs and there are tons of rocket nuts in the region despite the less than ideal geography and weather of the North East. It is great to hear that you are getting your son involved in rocketry.

Last edited:
Find me a high power capable field in CT and I'll take on the METRA guys...

However NO is right, we fly G and under - then go to METRA for the big stuff. I got my L!,2, and 3 at METRA. That said if your only interest is LPR, we might be better in the short term as while METRA has LPR facilities, they are primarily a HPR club.

Either way, welcome to the madness.

A

Guys, thanks so much for the responses and the warm welcome. Much appreciated. We are focusing on low powered rockets for now. I'm using B6-4's in the RTF kits from Estes, very basic. We will move up, gradually, but probably won't be doing E's for a good while. The boy is 7, and I want him to do this on his own terms.

The three clubs mentioned all look great, thank you! From where we are (Larchmont NY) the CATO site looks to be about the same distance as the METRA site. Since CATO seems more LPR oriented, I may start with that. CTRA is a little further, but in an area I sometimes visit. All look promising, thank you.

Anyone in Westchester wants to connect, let me know.

Mark

Yes I have you going 70 miles to METRA, 77 miles to Durham, and about 90 miles CTRA... you are at the nexus of the rocketry Universe.

Last edited:
Well, I've showed my son the websites for the clubs. And we've been watching youtube vids of launches. He's more excited than I think I've ever seen him. We picked up another RTF rocket the other day, and we've done six launches now, in local parks. (So far no problems.) Today we had quite a crowd of dads and their kids gather impromptu, and we had a nice launch of our Loadstar. We've been having a hard time with chutes, and this one went well. We used an A engine, due to being in the smaller park (about 300 feet from our house). Just had to share. I know it's nothing compared to what you guys do, but this made my son so, so happy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8KK7I2uchw&feature=youtu.be

Well, I've showed my son the websites for the clubs. And we've been watchin I know it's nothing compared to what you guys do, but this made my son so, so happy:

It's a whole lot more about *that* than getting bigger and better.

If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right...

I am formerly of Westchester County. I now Live in Putnam. We just lost our local field to synthetic turf and we are looking for a new flying field.

Rad Rocketeers #712 North Jersey https://radrocketeers.org/content/
70 some miles from you, it's a NAR club
We fly year round and have TWO (2) launches a month during the peak flying season.
Also NAR sanctioned contests every other month.
We fly low, mid, and high powered rockets equally :wink: (5000 ft waiver)

Next launch will be the 31st of May

Last edited:
This thread brings back memories! I grew up in Yonkers, launched rockets @ Cook Field, St. Joseph's Seminary's Athletic field & Van Cortlandt Park. Of course this was in the late 60's when, well things were different.

Back