Your choice of epoxy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjp

Reaction score
I have used epoxy from HobbyLobby and found it works great,but they don't seem to carry it anymore.I need to bond some fender washers to my balsa nose cone,what's your choice of epoxy for strength and heat resistance?

I have used epoxy from HobbyLobby and found it works great,but they don't seem to carry it anymore.I need to bond some fender washers to my balsa nose cone,what's your choice of epoxy for strength and heat resistance?

Since it's a balsa cone, why not use a wood screw?

Like Mr. wrxz says, for strength AND heat resistance, JB Weld.

But nose cones are not subjected to that much of a heat soak, so most epoxies would be fine. They may have a high-temp spike for a few milliseconds, but not enough to effect the chemistry.

What strengthens the joint are the amendments (e.g., things you add to the epoxy; such as milled fiber, chopped carbon, fumed silica, Kevlar, even saw dust, etc.) that give it strength. That's because epoxy by itself is quite brittle.

I use JB Weld, Loctite 5-Minute, and Aeropoxy laminating and adhesive epoxies. Which one of those I use depends upon the application - "The right tool for the right job".

Greg

I'm with Greg on this one. I have Loctite, Aeropoxy, Proline, JB weld, US Composites medium and fast. For structural joints, I prefer Aeropoxy. I built my L1 fiberglass rocket with 30 min. epoxy. Worked fine. After some landings on the Salt Flats, all the epoxy was cracked. I tore the entire thing apart by cracking the epoxy and rebuilt it using aeropoxy. My unsuccessful L2 attempt with no chute deploy had a bit of a hard landing on the salt flats. I only cracked a partial fillet on one fin!

Laminating: US Composites 635 resin and medium hardener.
Structural: System Three T-88 w/ a mix of milled and 1/4" chopped fiberglass.
Tacking: System Three Quick Cure.
Fillets: Bob Smith 15 minute w/micro-balloons.
High-Temp: JB Weld (original)

Last edited:
Thanks for all your answers.I think I'll go with JB Weld,as a little more added weight will not hurt.

Back