TLP MARTEL AS-37 build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
Well you know it wouldn`t be Christmas without a couple of my Launch Pad builds.So to start the festive holidays ,lets begin a Martel missile build a la Paul T ;)

As is my usual ,I put aside the Balsa stock that came with the kit ( by the way ,the balsa IS very good quality ,straight grain and flat and not too soft )and used my own Basswood stock.

The fins are large and require a wide plank of wood to get the grain orientation right.I just happened to have some 1/8" thick x 24" long x 6" wide stock on hand (I need to get more of this stuff in this size)

Fin templates cut out and the fins cut ,then beveled on the leading edges.

The fins will be sanded with 320 and sealed with multiple coats of SIG filler/sealer ,then sanded again with 320 for a glass like finish.

This is a cool looking missile ,and begs to be up-scaled to 4" diameter....but I`m getting ahead of myself (as usual)

Paul T

php69yDA4PM.jpg

phpJbBJiBPM.jpg

phpUbuo8nPM.jpg

phpLYuoetPM.jpg

phpU1aXGYPM.jpg

This is great!
I've got this one upstairs in the build pile.
I'm looking forward to your build.

This is great!
I've got this one upstairs in the build pile.
I'm looking forward to your build.

This is indeed a great looking piece of kit.It has the cone"hat" for the nosecone and a smaller boat tail for the aft.

I just got the nosecone extension glued.Pics comming.

Paul T

I got the nosecone extension rolled and glued (had to use a little steam to get it to roll just right) but it`s done and good.

As per all my TLP nosecone "hats" ,I mixed up some 20 min. finishing epoxy and brushed it very thickly inside ,then after I could see that the cardstock was saturated ,poured in the rest and plopped it onto the styrene nosecone.

I should note that I sanded the part of the nosecone that recieves the card extension with 180 grit to help the epoxy "key " into the NC better ,but gave it a good wipe with alcohol before hand.

When the extension is placed on the NC ,the excess epoxy will run out somewhat through the gaps ,but this is OK.I just wipe the extra run out with a paper towel soaked in isopropyl alcohol an let it set up.

All I really want is a good thick coat of finishing epoxt to remain inside the cardstock extension.The remaining hollow portion will be dealt with later.

NOTE ; I drilled a 1/4" hole in the tip of the styrene nosecone before any of this was done.More on that later.

Paul T

php3K4PcLPM.jpg

phpvC0h0iPM.jpg

I was wondering if you use something to center the point of the paper hat over the center of the nose cone?

Seems like "Do ya feel lucky punk, Do Ya" (Dirty Harry) if you just eye ball it.

I was wondering if you use something to center the point of the paper hat over the center of the nose cone?

Seems like "Do ya feel lucky punk, Do Ya" (Dirty Harry) if you just eye ball it.

Put the cone in your lathe and spin it, isn't that what everybody does?
Well for those of us that don't have lathes, stick the cone in the top of the body tube and roll it on a tabletop and watch the point.

Put the cone in your lathe and spin it, isn't that what everybody does?
Well for those of us that don't have lathes, stick the cone in the top of the body tube and roll it on a tabletop and watch the point.

Good idea! Simple and effective.

Yessir, the old lazy eye technique...works everytime.But seriously ,I draw a line around the perimeter (same size as the NC extension) as a rough guide and pretty much slap it on and give`r the eye as I turn it around on it`s axis.

I get pretty close :wink:

Paul T

The finishing epoxy is pretty much cured ,so now I pour in some Gorilla Glue into the nosecone from the base.

The glue runs down and into the 1/4" hole I drilled into the tip and into the cone extension.The polyurathane glue will (has begun) to foam up as it cures and will solidify and fill the hollow tip and void of the rolled nosecone tip.This will help make the extension more durable and solid.

After a few days ,I will give the "hat" a brush of thin CA and then sand the whole affair smooth ,then fill (Bondo spot putty) the seam and where the extension meets the styrene nosecone.

I`ll work on the motor mount and boat tail next.

Cheers

Paul T

phpF5Mx2cPM.jpg

phphk4Ru1PM.jpg

Nice build Paul. I looked at making a 4" version of this but every time I would start planning the dang nose cone stopped me from doing it. Since I got a lathe now I might just have to do a 4" dia one.

Nice build Paul. I looked at making a 4" version of this but every time I would start planning the dang nose cone stopped me from doing it. Since I got a lathe now I might just have to do a 4" dia one.

Thanks Scott ,

Well i`ll tell you, that would be a cool kit.And if it`s like the Satellite Interceptor I bought from you ,a real winner.

Yes ,the nosecone is a unique shape ,so having a lathe would be a must.Can`t imagine making an extension hat that big :eek:

Regards

Paul T

Thanks Scott ,

Well i`ll tell you, that would be a cool kit.And if it`s like the Satellite Interceptor I bought from you ,a real winner.

Yes ,the nosecone is a unique shape ,so having a lathe would be a must.Can`t imagine making an extension hat that big :eek:

Regards

Paul T

I don't think I would kit it. I just want to build one for myself. If I would kit it I would make a mold and do the nose cones in fiberglass. For me it would be easier and faster (I am not that fast on a lathe).

I was thinking the same thing.Yah,it would be a lot of work kitting it and not to mention the cost of a kit like that $$$$$$

If you do make one ,I`ll need to see that for sure !

Take care

Paul T

Here`s the motor mount.All i did was switch the kit tube for a longer ,aluminum lines tube I had in the spares box.

The tail cone has been rolled ,and assembled using white ProWeld glue.There are two narrow fiber centering rings to give support and creat a fit into the main body tube.

The cardstock tailcone needs to be pretty much an exact fit in order for the fiber CRs to fit inside the outer edge ,trust me...it gave me a bit of trouble ,but a little trim and it`s all good.

I`ll soak the tailcone with thin CA after the glue dries.This will give the cardstock tailcone a good stiff durable finish.I`ll sand it smooth ,them give`r the Bondo filler treatment and sand as needed.

Paul T

php78EA1FPM.jpg

phpOZ7uUYPM.jpg

phpSrqdhOPM.jpg

Sweet that is one I want. looks good.

TA

Thanks chum ,but the best is yet to come....I hope :eek:

It is a very cool looking missile ,but then again there are many.

I think I have most of the TLP kits ,just a few to go .

Keep watching and go out and get one !

Paul T

The Gorilla glue has finished foaming and cured nice and hard ,so now the nosecone extension is plenty solid.

I gave the NC a quick sanding with 320 ,then applied some Bondo spot putty where the extension and the nosecone meet and also filled the seam along both sides using Tamiya putty (made for styrene parts as is what the NC is made of)

I again gave the whole works another light sanding with 320 and re-applied more Bondo where needed.You have to be careful when sanding the cardstock extension ,as it`s easy to get carried away and sand through it.

Some thin CA was brushed on the areas that were filled and then final sanded again with 400 grit.The thin CA helps to harden and prevent chip out and also creates a nice smooth finish.

Paul T

phpOf6XdzAM.jpg

phpTLQyI4AM.jpg

The whole tail cone assembly has been slid into the aft end and glued in place.The gaps will be filled with Bondo ,then sanded and filled and sanded as needed ,then brushed with a coat of thin Ca and final sanded.

All the spirals will be filled before any fins and conduits are glued on.One thing I notice with TLP body tubes ,they have very,very fine shallow spiral grooves ,so filling is easy and fast.

The motor mount/tail cone assembly is recessed quite deep in this kit ,2" to be exact ,so as is usual with my builds,I will line the exposed tube with beer/soda can aluminum ,to prevent scorching from motor exhaust/flame.

Paul T

phpl3p4C2AM.jpg

phptvY5cnAM.jpg

phpxXLkjrAM.jpg

phpCyjrMwAM.jpg

phpwWzNTTAM.jpg

Next up are the body conduits ,one on each side.The kit provides Balsa stock for this ,but I`ll use basswood instead ,as it machines better.

What I did was cut four strips ,two 1/16" thick and two 1/8" thick.I`ll drill the holes in the 1/16" strip first ,then laminated them together (1/16 + 1/8") and re-drill them together ,then use a small conical Dremel stone in my drill press and go over all the holes again.This should provide the desired effect I`m looking for.

Paul T

Attachments

• phpjFDRPbPM.jpg
    phpjFDRPbPM.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 30
That's a REALLY nice looking cone... eager to see what she looks like primered and painted...

Thanks for the tips!

Personally I think that since SO MANY TLP kits use this nose cone profile, they'd do better to just have somebody mold these in the correct shape for them... sure would save a lot of time and effort! :)

Been thinking about getting the old version of the Exocet... I've always thought that was a cool looking missile...

Later! OL JR :)

The conduits are pretty much done ,just need to do a little fine tuning to clean up a few of the holes and fuzzies.

I also used a fine razor knife to cut detail slots near the tops and bottoms of the conduits.

YUP.....that`s a lot of little holes :eyepop:

Paul T

phpHYI2P2PM.jpg

phppdslKaPM.jpg

phpQ0XUkCPM.jpg

phpSuNxCjPM.jpg

phpVsQKadPM.jpg

That's a REALLY nice looking cone... eager to see what she looks like primered and painted...

Thanks for the tips!

Personally I think that since SO MANY TLP kits use this nose cone profile, they'd do better to just have somebody mold these in the correct shape for them... sure would save a lot of time and effort! :)

Been thinking about getting the old version of the Exocet... I've always thought that was a cool looking missile...

Later! OL JR :)

I wonder how much getting cones like that would cost ,because as it is ,some people complain about the price of the kits as it is ......me i don`t care ,I love the kits and it does help a person learn new skills and techniques.

I have both versions of the Exocet ,so you`ll be see another build very soon :wink:

Take care !

Paul T

While i had a little down time ,I thought I would make these little triangular fin supports ,swivels or whatever they are :confused:

The kit provides these made of cardstock that you cut out and apply.I made mine from thin 1/16" basswood.

They are to be glued near the center of the fins.

Paul T

phpcpKz08PM.jpg

Here is one of the triangles glued in place.......7 more to go !

Paul T

phpC6msr2PM.jpg

DAng it Paul your build are a work of art!

I may try a slow build on a Harpoon.
I hope to do as well as you with the details!

I wonder how much getting cones like that would cost ,because as it is ,some people complain about the price of the kits as it is ......me i don`t care ,I love the kits and it does help a person learn new skills and techniques.

I have both versions of the Exocet ,so you`ll be see another build very soon :wink:

Take care !

Paul T

Good point...

I know that Estes discontinued offering the Phoenix plastic cone and I picked up one of those on feebay from some vendor or other for some future projects I have in mind... it was about $9 IIRC...

I hear ya on the kit costs... if it could be done fairly inexpensively and only add about $5-10 to the cost of the kit, it'd probably be well worth it. If it added more than that, probably not. It's a fine line that depends on the person you ask...

TLP kits tend to be either "love em or hate em" type thing anyway... some people really grouse about the balsa quality and not being a "true-MPR" kit (since it's not glassed plywood and designed for the biggest engine you can possibly shove in it). For the price they're a VERY good deal though, even though *I* grouse a bit about the paper hat nosecones and lack of decals... (it would be VERY handy if they just printed off a sheet of the markings and stuff, ready to be copied 100% onto decal paper on your own, either at home or at a copy shop... that and a "location guide" to the markings).

Other than that, they're really nice kits and I like them myself... they're builder's kits to be sure... and it's really nice to see one in the hands of a craftsman like you... :)

KUTGW!! OL JR :)

Good point...

I know that Estes discontinued offering the Phoenix plastic cone and I picked up one of those on feebay from some vendor or other for some future projects I have in mind... it was about $9 IIRC...

I hear ya on the kit costs... if it could be done fairly inexpensively and only add about $5-10 to the cost of the kit, it'd probably be well worth it. If it added more than that, probably not. It's a fine line that depends on the person you ask...

TLP kits tend to be either "love em or hate em" type thing anyway... some people really grouse about the balsa quality and not being a "true-MPR" kit (since it's not glassed plywood and designed for the biggest engine you can possibly shove in it). For the price they're a VERY good deal though, even though *I* grouse a bit about the paper hat nosecones and lack of decals... (it would be VERY handy if they just printed off a sheet of the markings and stuff, ready to be copied 100% onto decal paper on your own, either at home or at a copy shop... that and a "location guide" to the markings).

Other than that, they're really nice kits and I like them myself... they're builder's kits to be sure... and it's really nice to see one in the hands of a craftsman like you... :)

KUTGW!! OL JR :)

Add to that ,I opt to use my own Basswood ,instead of the supplied balsa ,but that`s not to say the stock is sub par ,in most cases ,it`s pretty good stuff.

I think ,at the cost of good quality decals ,may they be silk screen or APS ,the cost would skyrocket and people would still complain .At that end ,they (TLP) would probably not be able to produce kits or even compete in this market.

No ,I like it the way it is ,hate to see another vendor go under in such a small market and these fiscal tough times.

Hey ,after all ,who else offers kits to fill this niche ? Not many or enough if you ask me.

Another thing I like about TLP kits ,you have the parts ,the measurements and a starting point to either upscale or do like myself ,keep records of sizes ,part lengths and make copies of shrouds and templates.if the original crashes ,you may easily scratch another ,or in my case ,sow the seed of a bigger version........a MUCH bigger version :wink:

Take care

Paul T

DAng it Paul your build are a work of art!

I may try a slow build on a Harpoon.
I hope to do as well as you with the details!

A big thanks Eric ,

Still need to get my AZZ going on "THE" project !

I hope within the next few weeks i`ll have time to get my lathe and do some milling.

PM comming

Paul T

Well the company left left some time ago (you know ,relatives and stuff....great people and more tomorrow for Christmas Eve....love it!!)

So I got some time to get down to the "shop" and relax in my underwear (hey...we all do it ) and do a little work on the Martel (can`t build rockets if you ain`t comfortable right ?)

The tailcone has been filled ,sanded ,filled and smoothed and coated again with thin CA and finished with 400 grit.

The aft fins have been epoxied on and are set.Now I know what y`all are thinking, but for the amount of epoxy used ,it`s not really adding that much weight ,so why worry ,it`s an E motor !

I know ,I know ,there sure are a lot of lines on that bodytube ,but I have them marked out (bad memory)

You can see what I mean by the small spirals in the tubes ,gotta love it.

I added some bits of round toothpics to the aft fins to look like swivels. That was the easiest part of the build so far.

Forward fins next before bedtime me thinks.

Thanks for looking

Paul T

phpVYo5H9PM.jpg

phpNFEWkuPM.jpg

phpWWUffYPM.jpg

phpEc9ksQPM.jpg

Back