Launch towers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDcluster

Reaction score
Has anyone ever built one?
I'm interested in building one for 38mm to 3" rockets but, it has to be ultra portable. My idea is to use Al angle as the guides and the support legs / stands fold up to be carted away.
Does anyone have any pictures to give me some more ideas?

Thanks

JD

Yes it does!
I've seen pictures of them before but have never used one myself.
Why does everyone seem to use square tubing rather than angle to guide the rocket; for ease of building?

JD

Actually a group I'm a part of will be putting together one before to long and we are in the middle of designing right now.

Here are some links that should help.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=2719

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=17307

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24183730@N03/sets/72157606396560346/

https://www.rocketryplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2696&highlight=homemade+launch+tower

Hope that helps

Bryce

If I understand your question, then Why would it matter? Round, square, angled. The choice would come down to rigidity sake. We know a square piece will be stronger than a round one.

Strength, price, availability, (ease to get a smooth surface?).

Each piece will touch the rocket at one point anyway, so drag is not an issue in that respect.

Start a build thread when you start.

Bryce

I'm interested in building one for 38mm to 3" rockets but, it has to be ultra portable. My idea is to use Al angle as the guides and the support legs / stands fold up to be carted away.

When I was real young I read the _Handbook of Model Rocketry_ and I loved the pictures of the trussed launch towers. I think it would be really neat to build one these days, but that would be a ton of work. If I could figure out a real easy way to adjust for different diameters I might try it.

I'm guessing that you have to build the tower specific to 3 fins or 4 fins, not both.

Does anyone have any pictures to give me some more ideas?

Thanks

JD

My current launch tower is designed for just the same size range, and it's the most transportable one I've seen. It breaks down into three 1.5" dia 8.5' tubes, and one 2' x 2' x 3" base.

Before first use. Shiny!
DSC00120.jpg

DSC00123.jpg

After a few years:
adrianadamson-l3lrktlaltrecord2k-cti-l1115_ncrsun10-9-11_ral_img_5244.jpg

adrianadamson-l3lrktlaltrecord2k-cti-l1115_ncrsun10-9-11_ral_rl1d2937.jpg

Here is my cheap (may I say red neck) launch tower... Taking advantage of both the soft ground in the Midwest corn and bean fields and my father-in-laws welding hobby here are the components:

6553581623_52fe13547c_z.jpg

It's fairly portable--fits, at least mostly, in a standard "rocket shipping box."

6553584145_c1af647976_z.jpg

First pick your scrap iron base with proper hole spacing (or multiple holes laid out with BSD/Binder fin guide).

6553582309_e3e0db1ef0_z.jpg

Take rebar ($9) with welded washers ($0.35) at 18" and sharpened ends and pound them in the ground through the desired base holes.

6553581937_c7a6fe51b9_z.jpg

Then slide 1" PVC down and over each rebar section.

6553583917_3d9a8b5b4b_z.jpg

But note, these aren't just four foot sections of PVC ($4), they have epoxy putty plugs ($1) in one end and have 1/8" holes in each center. These holes conveniently hold an "L-shaped" spacer at the top of the PVC sections. And you will note that the spacer (a bicycle spoke or equivalent, $0 scrap) emanates equidistant from a plastic ring ($1 bucket top with center cut out) in which they fit tightly in "press fit holes".

6553582583_a6e0a3c013_z.jpg

Conveniently this modified bucket top also has press fit holes that accept cotter pins ($0.50) and attach to a crimped loop of 1/8" cable (18' in total, $7)

6553582879_6d80d2f155_z.jpg

Which, in turn, get staked into the ground on the other end to stabilize the top of the rebar/PVC sections.

6553583129_0e8c0fd243_z.jpg

Follow the procedure and you are ready to do some red neck high altitude rocket launchin'!!!

That is very close to what I envisioned.
At 8.5 ft tall poses some issues for transport for me though.
I was thinking more in the range of 6 feet tall.
My only concerned is keeping it a bit higher off of the ground, say about foot or so. It will be a little harder to design that way but, serves a purpose.

We fly from a sod field and to cover up the sod completely is not a good idea.

The main purpose for this is; for the up coming LDRS ( if everything falls into place).

JD

My current launch tower is designed for just the same size range, and it's the most transportable one I've seen. It breaks down into three 1.5" dia 8.5' tubes, and one 2' x 2' x 3" base.

Before first use. Shiny!
DSC00120.jpg

DSC00123.jpg

After a few years:
adrianadamson-l3lrktlaltrecord2k-cti-l1115_ncrsun10-9-11_ral_img_5244.jpg

adrianadamson-l3lrktlaltrecord2k-cti-l1115_ncrsun10-9-11_ral_rl1d2937.jpg

Can you take one of the tubes loose at the bottom and move it out away from the rest so you can load a rocket from the base and not have to slide it all the way down from the top?

Can you take one of the tubes loose at the bottom and move it out away from the rest so you can load a rocket from the base and not have to slide it all the way down from the top?

Exactly. The tube holders at the bottom slide in and out, and then are clamped by the 2x3s with the wing nuts.

Adrian,

Where did you get the guide rods from?

JD

I ordered them (Aluminum) from McMaster. About $80 + shipping IIRC. You could substitute steel conduit at a lower price. I like the aluminum because I don't worry about corrosion and I can walk the tower from my car to the field in 2 trips.

I just started working on this over the weekend.
I'll be using two 24" diameter mountain bike rims along with some steel 3/4" conduit from Lowe's. One possibility is to mount it to a 1515 rail for added rigidity?

Pictures to follow once I finalize the overall height and can get it to stand up.

JD

You beat me to it JD...I have seen 20" BMX rims used for towers before.

Not a tower, but the coolest home made rail I ever saw was made from a discarded Sailboat mast.

Last edited:
It's funny you should mention that....
I was just watching Point 39 Productions: LDRS 15
He interviewed someone who had done just that!
Maybe you know him, he said he was from FL.

The hardest part of this build is, figuring out the best way to break it into manageable pieces. I want to make it at least 7' tall but still makes it hard to fit into my car.

JD

You beat me to it JD...I have seen 20" BMX rims used for towers before.

Not a tower, but the coolest home made rail I ever saw was made from a discarded Sailboat mast.

And here's my version of a launch tower (prototype) that I've been working on. It's based off the Adrian A's design.

Mine is made of 1" diam. conduit tubes 8 feet long ( the length of these tubes, from base plate to top, is only about 7'-10"). All wood construction at this point just to see if the idea will work. Once finalized, I will make up a base plate of steel. The base plates are not adjustable, so I would need to make up one for each diam. of rocket I fly. I would like to design a steel base plate with legs to get it off the ground.... maybe even a mechanism to allow a pivot for loading purposes.

IMG_0921.jpg IMG_0920.jpg IMG_0919.jpg

Last edited:
What about putting a stop and deflector on your baseplate? Base on the ground might help design simplicity. Would you be "lining" the inner edge of the guide tubes? Design looks like it will only allow 3 fin Rockets, is that the goal? I always like nice and simple. You mentioned making a different Baseplate for each diameter. What about making baseplate large enough to lay out the different diameter needs in a pattern that doesn't overlap, that way you could just reposition the tubes into a different hole pattern and then adjust the center and top guides to the correct diameter. Does that make sense?

I thought I might put just a hose clamp around one of the tubes for a stop,... and yes, a deflector of sorts would work. I have given the tubes a good sanding, as of now, and thought I might even put coat or two of car wax on them (they are very smooth after the sanding). I did not want to line them with something that would become a pain to peel off and redo each time.

Yes, it was specifically built for a 3-fin rocket that I hope to break my personal best altitude record (expected apogee is about 17,500'). Your idea of making one base plate with multiple hole patterns to accommodate different diameters is good one.

Right now, my latest idea for a base plate is to have a welder cut me a circle of 1/4" plate (about 12" in dia.) and weld on vertical pipes to the plate. These vertical, 6" long, pieces of pipe would receive the conduit and lock them in place with a set screw. One for 3" rockets, and one for 2.6" dia rockets; these seem to be the ones I'm flying the most of currently.

I appreciate you suggestions/comments,.. Thanks!

What about putting a stop and deflector on your baseplate? Base on the ground might help design simplicity. Would you be "lining" the inner edge of the guide tubes? Design looks like it will only allow 3 fin Rockets, is that the goal? I always like nice and simple. You mentioned making a different Baseplate for each diameter. What about making baseplate large enough to lay out the different diameter needs in a pattern that doesn't overlap, that way you could just reposition the tubes into a different hole pattern and then adjust the center and top guides to the correct diameter. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Look for one from Binder Design/Max Q Aerospace in the coming months. It will just be the machined components. All the other parts will be sourced from your local Home Depot.

I am really excited about this. Do you have any idea on what size of rockets it will fit and a price approximation?

Weird that this thread just got resurrected. I'm about to build my own tower, was remembering that Adrian had a pretty cool design but couldn't find the thread, so I pm'd him just two days ago asking for a link. He sent it to me and it was just what I was looking for.

And then someone else just happens to re-open this thread.

Like I said - weird.
Cool too.

s6

I am really excited about this. Do you have any idea on what size of rockets it will fit and a price approximation?

Probably do two versions, one for 29mm through 3" or 4" and one big one that could go up to 6" or maybe more. It would be nice to keep the smaller kit ~$100 ish. Maybe less, we'll see.

Back